What was your first knife and do you still have it?

allen456

I was going through things While packing in prep for my my move. I ran across my first knife and the one my dad carried for years up until his passing. I forgot I had them saved away in my safe. My first is an Shcrade Old Timer medium Stockman that I got on our annual family trip to the north Georgia mountains when I was 7 or 8. What was your first knife and do you still have it? Post pics if you can and I will post some of mine later. Thought it would make for a cool thread!

I have it somewhere, but cannot find it. It was a Schrade, as well. My brother gave it to me when I was 5 and made me swear not to tell our Dad. I remember my excitement when I got it. It is one of those emotional experiences that is hard to duplicate.

Martin

Mine was a old buck 3-blade my dad carried. He broke one blade and would sharpen the others on a table grinder. He ran a construction company and used his knives as every tool first and a knife last. I remember him telling me how to use it to cut away from my body while on a camping trip. He told me to just keep it. Unfortunately, I dont have it anymore.
I do have a couple my grandparents gave me. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Mine is an old victorinox classic that I got from my dad when I was about 10ish
I don't remember exactly... I'll have to go look for it

Edit.... Found it
That was the logo of the company my dad worked for 30yrs
Fits into Allens theme of the patriot,minuteman,revere etc
It was continental insurance and though it's hard to tell the logo
is of a continental solider

Last edited:
Mine was a a Jack style pocket knife that I got from my Grandmother when I turned 6 yrs old. Don't have the knife, however, I still have the scar on the end of my left index finger from whittling some popsicle sticks the day I got it. Love at first bite !

Mine was from my dad when I was about 12 or 13, it was a frontier imperial wood lock back. Made in Ireland, I believe it was made by Schrade as an import knife. Still got it, put away somewhere.

These are my first 2 knives. I can't believe I actually found them because I recently moved.
The camping knife is my first. It was bought for me by my father when I was 10 or so. We were at a souvenir shop in Yellowstone and I was looking at the knife. As we were heading back to the car from the shop he claimed he forgot something inside and came back out with the knife. I immediately cut my thumb open testing the blade for sharpness. :thumbup: That's when my father showed me the thumbnail trick. :D
DSC01561-vi.jpg

The second is an imitation buck knife with my initials on it. It's the first knife I bought with my own money so I blame my addiction on it. I got it out of the back of a magazine but I can't recall which one.

DSC01558-vi.jpg

I had various pocket knives while in Boy Scouts, but don't know where any of them ended up.

But my first "really good" knife was a Buck 110 that my Grandfather had traded for and gave to me in the early 1970's ... and get this... he swapped some guy a bottle of booze for the Buck! 440C I believe, brass frame and wood scales that might be cocobolo or rosewood. Very heavy knife. It's in my safe somewhere... I won't ever sell it.

Last edited:
Back