What will the MT tanto bali look like?

Ok, I heard Mike say that a tanto was probably going to be made for the MT line of bali-songs.
Since the Nemisis was based off an existing MT knive, than you should do the same for the tanto.
Make it look like this!

The MicroTech Exodus!!!!

mt-exodus.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!

Any other ideas?

Shrubba

I will design the blade in a few weeks. This is good for feedback so what do you guys want to see?

I have a few desings already and will post them when I can convert them to a .jpg

I gotta say, Shrubba, that's a damn fine tanto profile. I like it a lot. Quick question: I'm assuming those little indentations in the middle of the blade have something to do with the OTF auto mechanism? Don't know much about the workings of autos. :)

As for myself, I'd like to see an aggressive, pointy tanto, kinda like that one. The big choil is kinda cool too. I'm sure others will chime in also! ;)

Well, first off, the I think the Exodus would be a great blade to start with :)
Also, I think adding a 'fuller' (aka, bloodgrove) to the spin would look awesome, ala. Ultratech.
and even a fuller on each side of the blade like the tachyon :) What can I say, I love da' fuller :)

I have a design I made in MS paint last week. I'll post it if I can find some where to put it on the web. If any one here can do that for me, I would greatly appriciate it! just email me and I'll mail you the file :)

Thanks,
Shrubba@biogate.com

I like that "tanto" design there actually. The long swedge will facilitate opening bottles easily. Of course it must be ground on both sides...if it is chisel ground I simply will not buy it. I think that is all I have for now.

Ok,
I figured out how to use my ftp. space! I am so proud of myself :)
Anyway, here is a design I made last week.
It is more of a Japanese style tanto tip (more rounded than straight) with a short false edge that is small enough to sharpen and still do most all of your normal manipulations! I also drew in a hamon for looks :)
Also, a fuller on each side running up until the false edge.
I think the shape of the 'gaurds' is cool and also unusaul. Plus usefull in there shape, kind'of a thumb ramp for the top, and a index finger gaurd for the lower one. I think it really adds to the overall apperance of the knife.
I love double dovetail inlays, so of course, I had to add that too :)
This design would need double tang pins like the tachyon.
Let me know what you think, and Mike, I would be honored if you took any ideas from my little design and used it on the new tanto blade style :)

Oh%20yeah2.JPG

Oh, and for the record, this was done in MS Paint! Which we all know really sucks! :)

Shrubba

EDIT. Fixed link, and added a little more of an explanation :)

Yeah the SOCOM tanto would be even better. I don't really care as long as it has that long swedge (the best Dr. Pepper in the world is made not far from here and it just isn't worth getting unless it's in the bottle) and is not chisel ground:barf: .

I like the tachyon w/ the BM 47 blade... but that's just it, its way too close to a 47 blade (I know it's a photo shopped pic using a 47)
It would be sweet to see something a little different.
ByTheWay Mike, when do you think the new Tanto will be up for sale? 2-3 months?

Shrubba

Oh Momma! That looks great!
I think that the handle slabs should be offered in a dark color like the handle of the Exodus! I think that would look so good because it would show off all the screws in the handle and make it appear really high-tech, a perfect match for the tanto blade!

So Mike, what do you think about the thumb-ramp/finger-gaurd idea?

Shrubba

Darn I forget the name of the model.., but when Pat and Wes Crawford first made a Tactical Tanto Folder (I think it was the Tach II maybe???)...I remember thinking it would be a great profile for a Balisong.., and it's not Chissel Ground.. :)

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Shrubba: That looks pretty great for being done in paint. Much better than something I'd come up with. :p Very interesting it is! :) :D

Originally posted by McMahan:
I would like to see something like this:
You mean a manipulated picture of the Tachyon and some tanto blade I don't know where came from? ;)
Jokes aside, I like your idea, Mahan.
Personally I like the bit wider tantos, like this Erickson:
custom_Erickson_ss-tanto.jpg

picture stolen from this page (don't remember who owns it...) without permission.

Personally I'm not a big fan of tanto blades where the tip is larger than the rest of the blade... does not make any sence to me, besides adding weight... which may be the whole point (PUN) :)
Seeing how the tanto was based off of the Japanese design... it now looks like a weird chissle!
But who am I to smack talk, the majority of my knives are tanto... but again, they are more 'pointed' in their profile, which I think looks best... even still, I really love my BM 47!

Shrubba

Here are a few more quick drawings I did in MS Paint.

So which one do you like?
various.jpg

Shrubba

well since I like my tanto's more rounded off than the standard "Americanized Tanto" I'd have to pick the top one but it still seems like it lacks something.

mykl maybe you are still leaning toward a traditional japanese tanto where the curve in the blade would go the other way. i think the drawings came out pretty damn good ms paint is a pain in the a$$ to use that well for me

Back