What you reading right now?

Just finished Blasphemy by Preston-Child. Almost through The Book of the Dead also by Preston-Child. On deck is Pale Horse Coming by Steven Hunter.

Jeff

Starts well but becomes bogged down in stereotypes, barely finished it.

Lee should return to the Reacher from the beginning, less superman. Would make for a more thrilling read.

2 problems with the book, IMHO....

1 - spent waaaaay too much dialogue between Reacher and the lady cop....
Her: "That's not going to work"
Him: "Yes it will"
Her: "It's going to be dangerous/impossible/unreasonable/etc"
Him: "Trust me"

repeat ad nauseum

2 - political anti-war propaganda in the 2nd half of the book.

Maybe Lee is just trying too hard to sell his stuff...I dunno...but (#1 above) came across as fluff/filler/fodder....meant to fatten the novel....and (#2 above)...came across as preachy/dialectic...not his usual style.

who knows...

I still like the series and will read every Reacher book written...:D

Dan

Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
X-ray Photon Spectroscopy
Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
Scanning Electron Microscopy
Atomic Force Microscopy

exam tomorrow :(

A Russian text on plasma-based free electron lasers (rotten translation).

Classified national agency policy document (drier than burnt toast).

Zangwill's "Physics at Surfaces."

I've got to get a life. :mad:

After a winter and spring of reading counseling and therapy books and journals to keep up to date for work, I have shifted my brain into neutral and I am rereading the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler. In the audio book world I absolutely love Carl Hiassen's books SKin Tight and Skinny Dip.
Also to MSgt: A Salty Piece of Land and A Pirate Looks at Fifty are two standby's that almost always go camping with me! Great bedtime books!

I just finished Finn by Jon Clinch which is a story of Huck Finn's psycho pop and Huck's early years. Great dark novel. Also just finished The Kite Runner, which is also an excellent book. I am currently reading Oil On The Brain, which tracks the tortured path oil takes to get out of the ground and into your car. I can recommend all three of these books.

Just finished "In Harms Way"- story of the Indiannapolis

1/2 way through "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell- Story written by the SEAL survivor from the much publicized battle in Afgahnistan in the Hindu Kush mountains. Captivating.

2Door

Various essays for my AP Psychology course this upcoming senior year in highschool. I'm about 2/3 through 500+ pages of readings and stories. Very interesting stuff........

one women lost her sense of proprioception meaning she could seen her limbs but have no real control over their position in space.....essentially she could not sit up straight, walk, talk, eat, or breath correct. Weirder still is that her condition was brought on by a dream proceeding surgery for cancer.

:eek:

who needs fiction?!?

Well....I finally finished Xenocide - HOLY COW that was a long book. whew!

Next up - a re-read of 1984.

:thumbup:

Dan

nope.....the gods approve of my knifemaking.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

:foot:

(ok...for that I am now following steel dust trails around the floor)

Never really have much time to read with my schedule. I was lucky enough to pick up the book Alive: The Story Of the Andes Survivors, before going on vacation last week. I thought it was a great book. My next is Touching The Void. Similar story line.

Never really have much time to read with my schedule. I was lucky enough to pick up the book Alive: The Story Of the Andes Survivors, before going on vacation last week. I thought it was a great book. My next is Touching The Void. Similar story line.

Follow that up with the sequel "This Game of Ghosts". Some of the best mountaineering lit out there. :thumbup:

Jeff

Im readin -
fiction- DNA CCowboys by Mick Farren(freakin insane)
non- fiction - Citizen Power- A platform by Mike Gravel & LEave us alone, Getting the governments hands off our money, our guns, our lives! by Grover Norquist
and listening to Real Change by Newt Gingrich in the car!

Touching The Void.

That's a fantastic tale of survival by willpower. The film/documentary is great also and very much worth watching after you read the book (one of the few films that are as good, or even better then the book. It really sucks you up) I can reccomend all Joe Simpson's work btw. He's quit a character, and his 'Dark Shadows Falling' shows the dark side of modern 'mountaineering'.

I just finished 'Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee' by Dee Brown, and just started with 'Sacajawea'. I'm a bit into (Native) American history right now..

I just finished the new Jack Reacher book Echo Burning. No plot spoilers coming, just a rant.

One character has an H&K p7m10, a variant of my favorite pistol, the p7m8. There are numerous references to carrying the pistol "cocked and locked", and engaging/disengaging the safety.

If you know the p7 series, you understand why this bugs me. The pistol has no hammer, and can't be carried cocked and locked. I know it seems minor, but this just drove me nuts. Why in the world would the author not at least look at the pistol? It was just lazy writing, and it bugged me each time he got it wrong. Like featuring a Dankur and talking about the up-swept reverse blade on it.

Thanks for listening. I feel better after ranting:)

Back