Whats a good spincast reel

My dad needs a new spincaster, I hate the things myself, but thats all hes ever fished with. I want to buy him a good one . What is a good one? Gonna put it on a 7 foot med heavy Ugly Stick and use it for carp and catfish mainly. The Zebco 800s use to be fair. He liked those.

Geez, I wish I could help out, but I just use spinning reels. What about the combo spincasting reel that comes with the ugly stick? I've seen them at Wal-Mart and at BPS.

My Dad is the same way, I bought him and Ugly Stick and Zebco 33. He thinks that is bout as good as it gets. I think its kinda funny.

I see where they make a Zebco 888. Im gonna look into that. Any of you ever used one?

I bought a Zebco Rhino for a friend to bait fish with. It hasn't seen a lot of use but so far seems to be reliable for the price. I spooled it with a 15# braid and have had no issues. It is a lot smoother than the 33s I fished as a kid.

One of the best spin cast ever IMO
Daiwa "Regal" Reels, One reason is the spool is a little wider in diameter
which allows less memory, cleaner cast
Checkm out

DB, most of my fishing time is spent looking for bass. My son however, is a dedicated catfish-type person. Your choice of the Zebco would be mine as well. I have an old, & I mean old (70's era) Zebco 33 on a 6' pool-cue type rod that I bought back in the 70's as well to use when he & I go after the big one's. I can think of only one time I have had to work on that reel, other than changing line every few years. Not a bad buy for $5.99 + tax . . . . :)
Have fun with your dad, & enjoy your time.
Be safe.

The Zebco Omega is a really nice reel. People underestimate the ability of a spincast reel... One of the former world record for king salmon was caught on a Zebco, either the 808 or the 888. Something like 79lbs. There's a youtube video of guys catching100lb blue sharks on a Barbie spincast combo that they re-spooled with 30lb Power Pro.

those zebcos are all my FIL and my BIL use. they wont use anything else. they have small ones for pan fish and large ones for salt water. i have not used one of them since i was like 10.. i stick with open faces mainly.

Back