What's a "nightmare knife"

In a posting I saw mention of a "nightmare grind" and a "nightmare knife". What are these?

And these guys are nightmares

attachment.php

Well, that answers that. Now, how do I go about getting a nightmare knife? ........... legally, that is. Are orders being taken?

Yep, just contact Mick and tell him what type you want. You could have just about any knife in the strider line given this treatment. And it is actually not much more than just the price of the knife, plus a little for the extra work that goes into it.

Those grinds indeed look like they were a nightmare to do. Man, nice work.

I've got an order in with TAD for one of these babies, anyone (Mick;)) know what the ETA is?

Mick, I was going to ask about this 'nightmare' thing myself. I take it that such a concave belly is very hard to manufacture. I can assure you that being OCD picky about my edges that such a bevel would take me a good while to sharpen.

That said, does this style of edge provide any benefits for a specific use? I read somewhere that a true Japanese tanto point only has "two points of contact" during a thrust, hence very low drag. I am not a student of Eastern cutlery, so I do not know if this is true.

I do know that some manufacturers make 'art' or 'fantasy' knives to show their skill or attract customers to their booths at trade shows. Are these knives built for that purpose? They certainly are striking.

shane45-1911,

My comment was sincere, I can assure you. I asked the question only because I know that Ernie has made some 'odd' looking pieces at the request of the military for specific uses.

Further, Microtech made a knife called a 'Vector,' with the same type of concave belly. I would assume (and never assume) that a manufacturer would not tool up for a knife if he thought the item had no market. The knife, while different from the norm, was designed to cut something, or attract buyers.

I just don't know what the reason was, and I like Striders. But hey, I kick tires at the Ford dealership, as well.

If you are going to do a recurve like the Emerson Commander or to a certain extent the MT Amphibian, it looks like a logical transition from the recurve to a tanto style point because of the angular belly.

It would look more like an Amphibian if you did a spearpoint or clip point with little transition from recurve to belly or more like a Commander if you wanted to accentuate the belly.

I guess the reason would boil down to the usage of recurves in general... (it's remindes me of one big serration and I dig em.)

Maybe I've had too much cerveza...

Ichabod,

My comment was sincere as well! I doubt that Mick did the nightmare grind with "fantasy" in mind. Fantasy knives inspire visions of Gil Hibben's creations, and while they are striking - they are not very practical.

I think Mick has a very practical design here, and I would not and will not hestitate to use it. What I will NOT do is mount it on the wall on a fancy wooden plaque. ;)

shane45-1911,

Good, I'm glad we got that straightened out! (BTW, I'm an avid 1911 user, myself. Check out Tussey Custom some time.)

I would not make such a knife a decorate piece, I carry my AR every day. But sometimes a car customizer makes a wild custom to show the market what his shop is capable of. I was just wondering aloud if this knife was that type of project.

Since many manufacturers make knives with this type of belly (and make a profit) it is clear that this style does something that is superior to any other knife. Now, I have been a professional 'knut' since only 1996. In that short time I never run across a project that requires this concave belly. That doesn't mean that it's not a great knife to cut wet rope or skin the rind off of fruit because the shape is more akin to the shape of an apple or a potato.

It was my intent to just ask "why?"

No way...
Im a point and shoot/ who cares about the light kind of guy...

Who you call'n pretty-boy?... :mad:

m

Back