whats the best pocket knife brand

yes, rest assured, Case is as american as milkshake.
Case is an interesting choice if you like traditional blades. I do think however that similarly traditional Queen and G.E.C. are somewhat higher in quality.

An interesting mix of the traditional and the modern is the Cabela's Alaskan Guide 110 folder: it is in essence the classic, sturdy Buck 110 with a modern S30V blade (unfortunately with a black coating which doesn't become it in my opinion). If you have a Cabela's in your neighbourhood, then check it out.

I come back to the Spyderco Manix 2: there is a reason that it is so popular. You should try to hold it in your hand, a perfect heavy duty design. And if you can pay more, then the recent Spyderco Paramilitary 2 is very interesting as well. Also check the Zero Tolerance ZT 0350.

Just to mess with your head a bit: in general, even if a knife is made in America, it can have parts that come from far away. For example, Kershaw uses Sandvik steel in a number of its knives which is a Swedish company and I don't know whether they also have a foundry in the USA.

Last edited:
id love to check those out just to see how they are. im not sure but i think im about 80 miles away from a cabellas. i live in washington mo . never heard of queen or g.e.c until tonight are they at cabellas to . i have a lowes and an ace hardware i know they sell knives but how many and what im not real sure. we have a hibbett sports store to but i dont have a clue if they have anything.

the kershaw skyline was recommended earlier. i checked it out on youtube and i have to say it looks like something i would carry practical not flashy and durable. im considering it now to

the kershaw skyline was recommended earlier. i checked it out on youtube and i have to say it looks like something i would carry practical not flashy and durable. im considering it now to

It's likely very good at the price, but as I mentioned before, it has a Sandvik 14C28 steel blade. Sandvik is a very capable Swedish steel company, so you have to judge yourself how puristic you want to be about the "made in the USA" label. I'm willing to believe that the Skyline is assembled in the USA, and that likely the steel is imported.
Personally, I wouldn't get anal about this. It's a good design for a good price from a good company.

i agree even if its just assembled in america its putting americans to work even if it isnt are steel. i have no doubt other countried can build great stuff i just like supporting american jobs. i would rather not buy it at wal-mart but i will if they are the only ones who have it. i may buy it and buy another nicer style knife with two or 3blades. heck for 30 bucks and if the steel is compared to sv30 or whatever it was. i read about it and its a pretty awesome sounding steel so if the kershaw is comparable to that heck cant complain. only gripe they had about it was the thumb studs and the clip being tight. i like a tight clip. and the studs if you dont like it take them off and make a hole like syperco only littler that would work i guess i dont know it has the flipper so i cant see complaining about the theumb studs

which would be the best deal for the money the kershaw skyline or a case knife of the same price. which would you buy?

Buck uses 2 types of 420 steel. 420J is specified on the foreign made and 420hc is specified on the ones made in the U.S.A.. The 420hc should have held a good edge, as well as the Case CV. You might check out the Buck 55 or one of their other small lock backs.

Greetings dakota14, I just wanted to chime in and suggest that you have reached a point where you need to make a decision based-on whichever blade you think looks better to yourself, and not rely so much on others online.

Knife collecting and ownership are very personal matters, this is why there are so many brands and models out there. If there really was a 'best" knife, then available knife models would logically drop to "one".

This is why I suggest that you reach into yourself and buy the one that you personally like better. I'd rather read a review of the knife you chose and the reasons why you chose it.

the buck didnt hold a bad edge just wasnt as good as my benchmade 440hc. would the cas tru sharp or their cv steel do as good as the 440hc? i had a kershaw sometime ago and it was a pile of junk never would take an edge finally threw it away. but maybe the newer ones are better?

why isnt case as popular as they used to be? didnt everyone used to love case? are benchmade spyderco and kershaw really better quality?

why isnt case as popular as they used to be? didnt everyone used to love case? are benchmade spyderco and kershaw really better quality?

Hey dude, chill out! You ask so many questions, which is good and bad. I'll give ya' the run down. Purchasing a knife can be hard. YOU and YOU only should decide. Getting an opinion is one thing. What I suggest you do is going up to your local gun show, finding a knife you like, But do NOT buy it. Usually, the knife guys here overprice their knives. The internet has some good knife sites where they give good deals. As to your question, Case is still very popular. Benchmade and Spyderco, depending on the price, can be "better" quality. Does that mean much, no. You could have a dud, for all you know. I suggest these companies, for you to check out.

-Case
-Spyderco
-Benchmade
-GEC
-Queen
-USA Buck
-Kabar
-Swiss Army
-Kershaw

There are so many "flavors', it is hard to choose. Like I said, the Skyline is a great choice. Check these out, and get back to us.

Also, Lowes and Home Depot sell Case knives and Buck knives now. Check out the Case Sod Buster and the Buck 110. Excellent, inexpensive choices.

lol......im chill. i wont be able to play with the skyline which is kinda a turn off from it. walmart sells them in the package and doesnt have a display case or nothing. i have a benchmade buck spyderco and a really old gerber. i want something different . the buck just didnt hold a great edge got sharp just doesnt hold it to long. benchmade is ok kinda uncomfortable to hold and its beat up . syderco was ok as well although i didnt like the handle having no liners . the skyline doesnt have liners either. i really like knowing my knife is tough and can take a beating. the gerber was my grandpas and i wont carry it because i would hate to lose it. i have also heard benchmade has less than good customer service and business practices. i want to carry a good knife from a good company that will stand behind there product. i dont need any assisted opening hi tech stuff just a reliable good knife. and i dont want to spend a truck load of money. i am going out in a little while to the hardware store in town they have a decent selection i will see what they have.

lol......im chill. i wont be able to play with the skyline which is kinda a turn off from it. walmart sells them in the package and doesnt have a display case or nothing. i have a benchmade buck spyderco and a really old gerber. i want something different . the buck just didnt hold a great edge got sharp just doesnt hold it to long. benchmade is ok kinda uncomfortable to hold and its beat up . syderco was ok as well although i didnt like the handle having no liners . the skyline doesnt have liners either. i really like knowing my knife is tough and can take a beating. the gerber was my grandpas and i wont carry it because i would hate to lose it. i have also heard benchmade has less than good customer service and business practices. i want to carry a good knife from a good company that will stand behind there product. i dont need any assisted opening hi tech stuff just a reliable good knife. and i dont want to spend a truck load of money. i am going out in a little while to the hardware store in town they have a decent selection i will see what they have.

From my understanding, Becnhmade has great customer service. Also, I suggest you do not buy Frost knives. They are usually at the ACE stores. Or at least around here they sell.
You may want to try out a Kershaw Zero Tolerance knife. They have incredible locks. Trust me, they will not fail on you.

ya i wouldnt buy a frost. my friend bought one and it wouldnt get sharp even on my diamnond stone. im going to check out kershaw sog i am curious of the bear cutlery as well. if i id decide on a case is the tru sharp better or the cv? i read some about it and alot of the differences conflicted with one another.

Really depends on your budget.

Some of my favorite knives:

Benchmade Ritter Griptilian (only available at knifeworks as far as I know though - runs around 125 shipped). CPM S30V steel, high flat ground, stonewashed blade, AXIS lock, Noryl GTX handle. Available in large (3.5") or mini (2 something inches, I think) sizes, and in black, orange, and pink handle colors. Designed by Doug Ritter as a survival knife. Should fit the bill for a tough EDC.

Spyderco Manix 2 - available online at a variety of places, around 100-150 shipped. 154CM steel, satin or black finish, ball bearing lock, G10 handle. Also a very tough knife.

I also hear good things about Zero Tolerance. They're supposed to be extremely durable, with very little besides expensive knives like Strider or CRK Sebenzas in the same category. Probably a good choice for you.

If you want a traditional style knife that locks , you might want to consider the Queen Mountain Man. The blade is made of D2 tool steel and it really holds an edge ( about $70).

QUEEN1.jpg

Case has a similar knife, it's thinner ( easier in the pocket), doesn't lock and the blade is Tru Sharp , this one is the Bose Backpocket ( about $70).

CASE2.jpg

I like both so I couldn't pick one over the other... I think Case is making the back pocket in CV too ( CV is not stainless steel, it's a tool steel ).

Back