What's the strangest thing you ever caught ?

I went fishing two weeks ago at a local lake. I was fishing from a large wrap around dock. I was getting ready to leave and thought I would cast out a couple of times around the dock, when I hooked a fishing line. No one else was around so I knew it was a line someone had probably cut or broke. So I slowly pull on the line and it breaks free, as I'm pulling it up, I'm trying to envision the new lure I'm going to inherit, instead, to my surprise I pull out a fishing pole. Its pretty nice, closed face where I prefer an open face, but free is free. Here is a pic of it all cleaned up and restrung. My guess is someone was fishing for catfish, left it unattended and the fish caught the pole.:D What are some strange things you've reeled in ?

100_4723.jpg

100_4724.jpg

100_4725.jpg

DANG! Don't think I can top that! I've caught the SAME frog three times when fishing for bass with a top lure. Caught a turtle once too. Deeply snagged a bullhead once... that was a tad bit exciting... he was mightily pissed and quite difficult to get off the hook.

Nice catch lol. I did loose a cheap pole before. Caught a big catfish or carp and the rodholder wasn't in the ground deep enought, the fish pulled it right out of the ground as soon as the fish hit it.

I think the strangest thing i caught was a # 10 can...though it was a fish. I did catch a gar today...hate those things.

Caught a coot last year on a bushhook baited with a live crawfish. Hooked a bat once on a bream buster I had baited with a live willow fly. That wasn't cool at all. I caught this warmouth and found brown water snake inside him when I cleaned the fish.
IMG_2717.jpg

Ha Ha. I caught a fishing pole once. Reminds of that scene in Revenge of the Nerds II with the metal detectors. As far as living things go, a bunch of eels and a snapping turtle or two.

Last edited:
I've caught poles before, caught a duck on Lake Bemidji and a Northern eating a Walleye eating a Perch on the Mississippi near Lake Bemidji.

I caught bats while flyfishing on a couple occasions. They'd catch the fly during a cast, fly off, and pop... their little necks weren't up to the sudden change in direction.

Seagulls.
Vicious boogers.
Didn't realize they'd punch with their wings as well a peck.
Really big up close too.
Very embarrassing fishing a blitz on the beach where everyone else's rod is bent towards the water and yours is bent upwards.

The all time best was a bicycle from the East River.
Picked it up with my bridge gaff, gave it to a kid and he rode it away.

When I was learning to flyfish, I would occasionally loose a fly or two in the brush on the backcast. One time I felt my fly hit something on the backcast and sure enough my fly was gone when I looked. I figured another fly donation to the brush. 15 minutes later my dog runs up happy as ever with a size 14 elk hair caddis stuck right between his eyes. It was tough to get out, but the dog never acted like it hurt at all. Guess I didn't really catch him, but definitely got a solid hookset.

-Mike

When I was learning to flyfish, I would occasionally loose a fly or two in the brush on the backcast. One time I felt my fly hit something on the backcast and sure enough my fly was gone when I looked. I figured another fly donation to the brush. 15 minutes later my dog runs up happy as ever with a size 14 elk hair caddis stuck right between his eyes. It was tough to get out, but the dog never acted like it hurt at all. Guess I didn't really catch him, but definitely got a solid hookset.

-Mike

You jogged my memory, I got one more. I was visiting my brother in law in Minnesota. I was fishing with my nephew, he was like 3 years old. Baiting his own hook, everything, amazed me. Anyway he was putting small bits of hot dog on his hook and catching sun fish one after another. So we get called for lunch and he leaves his baited hook on the dock. We are eating when we here this god awful yelping. We run down to find he had caught his winner dog. (hot dogs = winner dogs) I felt bad for the little fellow, it took thirty minuets of yelping, pissing down my shirt to get that hook out of the roof of its mouth. He was a little traumatized after all that, but fine. Thank God he didn't swallow the hook.

hmm... well I've been caught by my brother (right in the back of the head)....I guess I'd qualify as strange.

personally, my weirdest thing was a ratty old machete out of a creek.

Haha! Some good stories boys:thumbup:

My best catch/ wierdest catch was fishing with my cousin. He snaps off his favorite hair jig setting the hook on a fish. 5 minutes later I set the hook on a good large mouth. When I lip him I see a neat little hair jig sticking out the other side of his face:D

The lake I was fishing was in flood stage. I was in the boat fishing jigging spoons off the end of a boat ramp.I caught dozens of bass plus a rod and reel, dipnet, and two wrist watches,a Seiko and a Timex. The Timex was still running.

snagged onto a huge mantaray fishing the bridge here in Pensacola, Ran up and down the bridge 50 times, battled it for 3 hours. When it came to the surface it was a MONSTER!!!!! Those things just glide in the water man, very hard to catch. Eventually gave up and let him win :(

I could only imagine how tuff that would have been to pull up Knife draw!

How about Lizard fish? Those are some ugly little SOB's!!

I caught the same fish twice....Hooked a nice red on a DOA shrimp with popping cork. Line busted as I got him to the boat right above the cork. About an hour later I see the cork swimming further along the bank, make a long cast and was able to hook the line in front of the cork, realed him in this time, I think he was a little tired. Got my tackle back though.
I also caught a blue crab on a spinner bait one time. my dad about fell out of the bass boat laughing at that one.

Caught a puffer fish once. Took me a few minutes to work up the nerve to get it off the hook and throw it back. :eek:

Back