What's your best trout lure...

Teeny nymph or teeny leech. Also like a Dali lama. Fly fishing all the way

yeppers.. i dont knock too many for spin reeling trout but to me that takes all the fun and challenge out of fishing for trout in mtn streams. i have seen many folks use corn on a small hook and absolutely RAPE a good creek. to me thats not fishing. thats RAPING and its selfish. many rednecks and mexicans use this method (legal or not) and gang rape creeks. they follow the stock trucks around and just wear them out. some folks just dont give a damn.

flyfishing is the bowhunting of fishing

Panther Martins work well 1/16 work well in rivers and in lakes fishing off the bank. I like the all silver, all gold, or the silver blade yellow red spotted body ones the best. Rooster Tails do well on trout. I like the black body, silver blade, the yellow body gold blade, and the red body black dots combos the best. Mepps Agilia 00 black with yellow spots is killer in some mountain lakes. The gold/copper and gold/silver colorado spoons can be equally deadly in lakes and reservoirs.

Panther Martins are what we use here. The small ones are great for catching browns and rainbows.

Kastmaster 3/8 oz. to 3/4 oz. basic silver. I'm fishing it on a Penn 440 SS w/8# test - medium spinning rod.

Last edited:
Around Northern California lakes I found gold Castmasters work the best. I was fishing sierra creeks about 25 years ago and found Panther Martins worked great. Panther Martins make a noise so you can fish shadows and in dark canyons.

I like a small Dick Nite 50/50. I think I might be getting lazy, I use that 50/50 for just about everything now.

I use the #1 and #2 Panther Martins quite a bit. The Mepps Aglias also work well for me on the smaller streams here in
Wisconsin. I've also caught some big ones on Fjord Juniors and Little Cleos.

Half a crawler or wigler with a salmon egg on top, ever so slighlty cast from an ultralight - Bang!

Jackman as per your qoute:
"There is only one. Gold Phoebe with a black swivel. Deadly"

I got two at Walmart today after reading your post...Time will tell soon....

my fav freshwater lure is a mepps comet (the one with a little fishie on the end); that one usually gets hits in the eastern sierras...other effective lures are roostertails in rainbow and bumblebee and thomas buoyant gold/red...one popular lure that NEVER works for me is panther martin.

Hands down #3 Mepps in firetiger. I usually keep 3-4 on hand at all times. Second would have to be Panther Martins. A close third would be spoons, in the 1.5-2” range. Mostly I am fishing big lakes from a boat. If I’m in small streams I prefer panther martins, it seems their blade design takes the least effort for it to spin

Back