What's your favorite bayonet?

Hi N2S,

I really like the looks of that Krag bayonet, though I've never handled one. How would it compare to say the Collins No.18 (V-44) in terms of size, weight, etc.... That knife is one of my favorite fixed blades of all time.

Other Bayo's I like are the Kukri style, Martini-Henry Sabre style(am I right on this one?), and 1909 Bolo bayonet that was reportedly maded up as a fake.

:D:).

N2S - That Krag Bowie bayonet is sweet as heck isn't it? Great looking hand weapon but hell on the poor rifle that has to carry it...and that was an old big solid battle rifle too!

I think that honestly the more sophisticated the firing platform gets the more in danger it is when it comes to "crash and bash" as opposed to a scientific 3" thrust and twist, but that is more of an "operator decision" than anything to do with the bayonet.

All the best,

Pete Kautz

BTW - all these photos you are digging up are great!

Pete,Bob,

The Krag Bowie is very thin, about 1/8" max, it is really very elegant. But, at the end of a rifle it would be like leveraging a knife in a vise with a four foot pipe. It just would fail often.

n2s

Here is a different kind of beast:

This is the Belgium model 1868 for the Terssen Carbine. Very similar bayonets were issued throughtout Europe at the time. It is a heavy machete like blade with a large aggressive sawback which would have been issued to pioneer troops as weapons/tools.

...Martini-Henry Sabre style(am I right on this one?)

This is the Mark III one of the later (shorter) Martini-Henry Bayonets. This one dates to 1887 and was inventoried in Nepal. The Sabre Bayonet with the guard (more of a sword than a bayonet) was produced as the Mark I in 1879.

There were actually many bayonets produced during the 1860-1880 period with full sword guards. As you would expect they proved to be poor bayonets.

n2s

N2S - do you happen to have a picture of the old shotgun bayonet made in the South during the ACW? It was made for a civillian double barrel shotgun and looks like the head to a pike, with a front and top spike and cleaver-style blade. I bet folks would freak out if they saw it! If not, maybe I'll scan a drawing of one I have.

All the best,

Pete Kautz

Pete,

That would be the bayonet identified as the Charles Borum Bayonet for Shotguns by Carl Pugliese (Confederate Edge Weapons pg. 6). I don't have one and I haven't seen one, but if I did I would probably leave it to more advanced collectors.

There have been a any number of more ordinary bayonets mounted on shotguns, and several double ring bayonets for rifles (probably?). The most impressive (to me) was the English Sword bayonet, believed to have been manufactured for the Jacobs rifle in 1867. The OAL of the piece was over 37 inches with a blade of 32 inches. It was a massive Yatagan blade like the one I have posted above, but about 10 inches longer.

I sure it felt wonderful at the end of a rifle. :rolleyes: :eek: :confused:

Here is a more practical bayonet. This is the US Zouave Bayonet of 1862. The Zouave were colorful regiments noted for their extrodinary uniforms. I suspect that modern troops would rather be shot than dressed like these guys.

n2s

Here is another interesting US bayonet. The Dahlgren Bayonet for the 1861 Navy Rifle was one of the earliest knife bayonets in use anywhere. It is a truely massive piece of steel with a 12 inch long blade that runs 5/16 inches thick at the spine.

Original bayonets of this type are rare and very collectable. This one is a very high quality reproduction made in Japan during the 1970s. I have also seen some crude fakes that appear to have been made in India.

n2s

... As we continue our journey around the world of bayonets. This is the German model 1871 used on Gewehr 1871 rifle. This bayonet was still in service with Native African troops during The First World War.

This is a very similar German model 1871 Dress Bayonet. Notice that this is not a real bayonet. It lacks the latching mechanism on the pommel and was a privately purchased item.

Attachments

• german model 1871 dress bayonet.jpg
    german model 1871 dress bayonet.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 190
Though bayonets are historically interesting, I find that their best use is as a fire poker. Some of the steels were very good, but bayonets on the whole are job specific; to thrust with and little use for anything else.

Long bayonets had their day as infantry protection from cavalry as used at Waterloo. In WWI, from 1915 the German Army had stopped "fixing bayonets". The grenade was the weapon for trenches and the machinegun king of no-mans-land. The destruction of the Polish Cavalry of WWII finaly put an end to long bayonets. However, while there was still bolt action rifles, a short infantry v infantry bayonet had a place. Early assault rifles were still "rifle" enough, ie long enough, to warrant a short bayonet. In the Falklands War 1980's the Guards ran out of ammunition half way into the final assault and fixed bayonets. But then they had the FN FAL SLR 7.62 which is a long rifle and 7.62 ammunition is bulky compared to 5.62(carry nearly twise as much). A bayonet on a bullpup assault rifle is redundant as recognised by the Swedish issue of their frost utility knife.

The Highland charge, fixed bayonets, have no place on the modern battlefield; there is just too much ordinance available. Of course there will always be a place for improvised weapons. Bayonets work best on mass, with disceplined troops working as one. Man on man the odds change and I'd put my money on the guy with an entrenching tool rather than the guy with a fixed bayonet.

(Sorry, if it sounds as if I'm trying to teach you how to suck eggs. I though the summary might add to the post.)

My favourite bayonet is the Baker rifle sword circa 1810. Sorry no picture.

The Highland charge, fixed bayonets, have no place on the modern battlefield

All too true.

The bayonet peaks as a military weapon during the mid 19th century and then begins a quick descent. Today the M9 is largely a vestigial device. A means for the bureaucracy to attempt to justify a better field knife. Take the dollars that would have been spent on an M7 bayonet and the moneys that would have been used to buy a MK II -and used them to buy an improved combination tool.

However you feel about the M9, you have to admit that it is a pricier tool than what has been usually supplied.

n2s

This the US M9 bayonet (Civilian version by Buck)

Attachments

• us m9 bayonet.jpg
    us m9 bayonet.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 92
Back