Whats Your Favorite Concealed Carry Handgun ?

So far all I have experience with is my glock 19. I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted something small enough to conceal but large enough for a good 3 finger grip.
The next time I go to the range I'm going to rent whatever they have in a 38 snub. I've been eyeing the Ruger lcr(?)and SW 642 a lot lately but I'm still a little hesitant about the smaller grips. I tried a friends single stack 9mm Taurus, and that thing feels like it was going to jump straight out of my hand.
I have also considered a Ruger SP101, but I don't ever see myself loading it with .357.

Don`t ignore the Taurus M85 .38. I`m very happy with mine.

I only recommend a single action semi-automatic if the person is going to really TRAIN with the piece.

For the typical person who will not get out and train, a small revolver with a shrouded hammer is a great choice - and the newer Ruger LCR has one of the better (read that light and smooth) triggers of the double action revolvers. They are inexpensive and rugged as well.

I like a 1911 model, and have two that I like to carry (Colt Mustang XSP and Kimber Ultra RCPII) - neither are inexpensive.

best

mqqn

Simplify your decisions at first or there is too much to decide at once.

1. Semi auto or revolver?
Semi auto- Pro's- larger ammo capacity, faster reloads, usually more accurate due to shorter and lighter trigger pull. Cons- more complicated mechanism that requires training for malfunctions (expecially if shooting from pockets or taking contact shots) and more frequent cleaning/ maintenance required.
Revolver- Pro's- can be smaller and lighter (snub nose). Simpler mechanism that requires less training and cleaning/maintenance. Con's- assuming a lighter smaller revolver... Small handle, light frame, and longer trigger pull, more suited for less accurate, close range self defense scenerio's. less ammo and slower reloads.

2. Firearm size? Usually I recommend the largest firearm someone is able and willing to comfortably carry ALL THE TIME. If semi auto, single stack or double stack mags (more ammo vs thinner more comfortable carry). If revolver, barrel length? Cylinder Capacity? Steel or lightweight polymer/titanium frame?

3. How are you going to carry it? Waistband, inside or outside your belt/pant? Appendix carry, 3 o'clock or 5 o'clock? Ankle, shoulder holster or bag carry (non recommended)? Leather, kydex or other holster type? Get a quality holster. Holster type/quality is often overlooked and get important.

4. Caliber? All handgun calibers fall short compared to the stopping power and capacity you get from rifles. So don't stress over this. A lot of it is marketing. In short smaller calibers mean more ammo and less recoil/more accuracy but less stopping power. Larger calibers means more stopping power but less ammo and harder recoil management. Due to the most recent studies performed by the FBI and the USA Army, it is hard to argue with 9mm for smaller autos and 38+ for smaller revolvers.

That's how I would start. I hope it helps. Thank you for choosing to practice your second amendment right and making this country safer.

My blind recommendation (take it for what it's worth).... Single stack semi auto, striker fire, polymer, 9mm handgun with a quality inside the pant holster for either appendix or 5:00 carry. I would look at 9mm glocks, smith & wesson m&p, Springfield XD, and the new sig sauer p320 line. I know this is not what you were initially looking at.

Anyways. Good luck.

Well, the verbal training is over and we've taken a break for lunch.
Next up is actual range time!

Ive never shot at a range or under professional supervision.
Dont get me wrong, ive fired my Beretta close to 1,000 rounds now, but never like this.
Im looking forward to some instruction and pointers on what I may be doing wrong.

Savage model of 1915. Because of it's hammerless design and fantastic art deco look.

M&P Shield in 9mm is my most carried handgun right now. I also carry a Khar CM9 and XDs45. All great guns IMO.

This has worked for me for the last couple of years!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 76
Back from the range and it was a pretty fun experience!
I shot 36 rounds total. 12 at 7 yards, 12 at 5 yards, and 12 at 2-3 yards.

The last 12 felt like being face to face, but the instructor said, 'thats when it most attacks occur. '
Makes sense.

Here we shoot 30 rounds. 10 at 5 yards, 10 at 7 yards, and 10 at 10 yards.

KY requires 20 rounds at 7 yards; with a "passing" score of 13 cutting black on the silhouette. When I took my class the instructor signed off on my target after the first mag. Those 7 had cut the same hole, it was 40ish degrees on an outdoor range in December and it was obvious that another shooter in the class was going to need some coaching to pass.

I prefer my Glock 42 with all its various upgrades. Here in Nevada I was honestly floored when I took my CCW test. It is 30 rounds, 10 rounds at the 3, 5, and 7 yard mark with no reloading required. You only have to hit 24 rounds within a bowling pin style target. My instructor finally got fed up with me trying to find what the catch was and just hollered "shoot the damn target already and if you fail I'm pulling your work license". He is the same instructor I have done all my training and qualifications through.

When I need more concealment: SIG 938, when I can wear more, say in the winter G19...highly recommend you give your dad's G17 another try. If I could have only one handgun, it would be this one. Also, the above recommendation "try as many as you can" is easier than it once was, many ranges will carry a vast array.

Believe it or not, CO does not require one to pass any kind of shooting test to get their CCW license. Pros and cons to that.

One thing that has been overlooked so far in this thread (and I can't believe I forgot to mention) is a good gunbelt. They go a LONG way in helping with the comfort of CCW.

Either one of the heavy nylon types (Wilderness 5-stitch is popular), or a good, heavy leather one. I highly recommend The Beltman, though there are several good makers out there right now.

I have several different Beltman belts from the past 10 years, and I've been extremely pleased with all of them. Black, brown, horse, bull, and even a black Sharkskin one for more formal attire. I'd still like to purchase an Elephant skin one, but they're not cheap.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way... If you can't pass the CHL qualifications, you have no business carrying, and I'm shocked you knew one end of the weapon from the other... (In my opinion of course)

At the ranges they have you shoot at, I was zinging them through the same hole. Believe it or not, some in the class couldn't hit paper... :rolleyes:

When I shoot pistols I go back and forth from 10, 15, to 25.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, CO does not require one to pass any kind of shooting test to get their CCW license. Pros and cons to that.

One thing that has been overlooked so far in this thread (and I can't believe I forgot to mention) is a good gunbelt. They go a LONG way in helping with the comfort of CCW.

Either one of the heavy nylon types (Wilderness 5-stitch is popular), or a good, heavy leather one. I highly recommend The Beltman, though there are several good makers out there right now.

I have several different Beltman belts from the past 10 years, and I've been extremely pleased with all of them. Black, brown, horse, bull, and even a black Sharkskin one for more formal attire. I'd still like to purchase an Elephant skin one, but they're not cheap.

Absolutely...CCW requires an entire system, weapon, belt, holster, mag carrier...even clothing. Add to this the aforementioned training.

Ruger sr40!
df319319dcf891a4ec99fb3405876c2e.jpg

While the new Glock 43 has been a joy to shoot and carry, the title of FAVORITE belongs to my Glock 19. Both guns sport trigger and frame work from me (Tactical Texture and Triggers, LLC.) The 19 now has the awesome Apex Tactical trigger as well! I don't see myself wanting anything else anytime in the near future. I also shoot the 43 almost as good as the 19, and that already small gap should close even more as I get more rounds through it.

While I have no problems concealing the the G19 and spare mag in a Dale Fricke Archangel AIWB holster and a Ares Aegis Enhanced belt, carrying the 43 in the same setup (with appropriate Dale Fricke 43 AA holster AND Spare Mag Carrier) almost feels like cheating. It's so small and so light that you don't really even notice it when sitting in the car.

Finally, while my 43 is shown with the stock (Textured) mag, I have been running the Taran Tactical +2 mag extensions with ZERO malfunctions. If you have ever been considering a 43, I can't say enough good things about it!

The contender: Glock 43 (Shown with the extended & textured stock mag instead of the TTi +2)

ruTd7DJ.jpg

And The Champ - My Glock 19...

usZvxvS.jpg

Last edited:
I've been carrying a Taurus model 82 five shot .38 special for years.
I love it and shoot the heck out of it.

I can't put my two cents in about concealed carry, but I will say that my Sig P226 elite has been the best 9mm handgun I have ever owned! Sigs work great with suppressors too!! :)
I only have an HK 45, but I bet a HK p2000, or similar would be awesome too.

Back