What's your favorite multi tool?

I like the USA Schrade vise grip ST6 pliers.

They are hard to find, but I like them because they have all the tools i need, plus the pliers are always open. I use vice grips more than regular pliers.

IMG_2681.jpg I like this one because it is nice and light, has a pocket clip, can open anything, and has 1/4" bit driver on the other side.

Leatherman wave ... it has all the tools I might need in a pinch and they are strong enough to really put some torque on the pliers and wire cutters ... it has a plain edge blade a serated edge blade and a saw blade to cover about anythimg ... and I actually like it because its on my belt in its sheath ... I don't like to have much in my pockets.

SAK mechanic, I find the small pliers very useful for pulling small nails out of the walls when I'm painting. Toothy edge for the large blade handles most other cutting material.

My first gen Leatherman Charge Ti is my favorite, been on my belt since they came out (aside from the occasional "I'm bored" anodizing session). I bought it for the comfy handles and premium blade steel and it's never let me down :)

Screenshot_20170813-061010.png

~Chip

wow, I like so many I have to go by categories...3 favorites from each

SAK: S557, Swisschamp, Explorer
Small SAK: Minichamp, Pocket Tool Chest, Alox Classic
LM: Rebar, Wave, Skeletool
Small LM: Micra, Mini, Squirt PS4
SOG: PowerPlier, Pocket PowerPlier, Blacktip
Gerber: MP800, Diesel, MP700
Victorinox: Spirit
others(s): Schrade ST6, Kershaw A100

of all pliers-based MTs: Vic Spirit, MP800, Rebar

Probably a Leatherman Wave. I've used it for a lot of stuff over the years as it sits in the console of my truck. It can generally jury rig any of the little things that may come up although I certainly am not handy.

Or Maybe my Bantam Alox swiss army knife. Nor really a multi tool but it has a blade and a bottle opener\screwdriver. Very light duty but great for a little slicing or snugging up a screw. Also, opening beer bottles, which is probably what it has gotten used for the most.

Leatherman Surge carried in my bag. It's saved the day many, many times.

Vic Waiter is second place. I like having something with a corkscrew. It's not something I use a ton, but when you need one nothing else will really do.

Leatherman Rebar. I like it so much I had a custom sheath made for it; it's just too heavy to comfortably pocket (not to mention that my pockets are already full).

I like the boxy form factor, the long-shank Phillips screwdriver (and the fact that it doesn't have separate bits), the replaceable wire cutter blades, the tool mix, and -- surprisingly -- the rulers. It's done everything I need it to do.

The only thing about it that sucks is the bottle opener, which is just plain awful. There's no reason a full-size multitool should have a bottle opener that takes multiple pulls to remove a cap; that's a compromise I understand with a tiny multitool, but not a big one.

I would choose a Leatherman, either the Super Tool 200 or the Sideclip. I like how pocket friendly and accessible the Sideclip is with the few tools I use the most. The Super Tool 200 is heavy but has anything I need in a multi-tool. Both are discontinued but can be found on the secondary market.

Last edited:
LM Juice S2 (although I'm currently using a Squirt plus a dedicated knife). I used to move a lot, and didn't have many dedicated tools. I've had different LM, SAK's, Sog MT, and some no name brands. The Juice had pliers big enough for my needs, had a scissors for cutting bandages (used to need that more often), and I could actually use the screwdrivers for larger jobs without them feeling awkward.

Additionally, the S2 is extremely size and weight efficient. I didn't always like carrying a knife, but the S2 was small enough that I barely noticed it. It's the one tool I always bring with me when traveling. I often use the can opener, too, when traveling.

I have a CS4 in my emergency pack, but I don't think the size and weight for the added saw, awl, and cork screw is worth it for my urban/suburban EDC. I have a dedicated S2 in my briefcase too.

I have had a couple Leathermans in the past and they were good but never really was satisfied with them. I am currently looking at a Victorinox One Hand Trekker and the SOG Baton Q3 as new multi-tool options. I also misplaced my most recent Leatherman and have a cheap Leatherman clone in my car. I will say the clone is impressive given I expected far less from it but it is definitely lacking.

Victorinox Swisstool and/or Swisstool Spirit. Excellent fit, finish, durability and choice of tools. Great all-around tool!

full

Another vote for the Swisstool (Spirit). A great tool that I carry daily and use often

i've always liked the gerber multi tools, i've used an carried them for years. The quick pop out pliers are extremely handy.

Leatherman PS. Because I can (and do) carry it through TSA inspections, it has become my EDC pocket pseudo-knife.

I'm divided because my Wave rides on my belt but the Surge sees alot of use around the ranch and performs at what I consider a higher level due to the added leverage and better cutting jaws. I simply cannot decide! Dag nabbit!

My first gen Leatherman Charge Ti is my favorite, been on my belt since they came out (aside from the occasional "I'm bored" anodizing session). I bought it for the comfy handles and premium blade steel and it's never let me down :)

View attachment 749237

~Chip

You know, hillbilly, (I can call you that and get away with it since I'm one too) I like yours cause it looks lighter than my Supertool 300. If I was heading out to the wild blue yonder, I'd want mine strapped on my hip. But for everything else, I'd prolly want something like yours.

Also, I like that I can change out the wire cutters when dull, or sharpen them. I have 2 sets of spares.

Last edited:
Back