Whats your favorite vintage fly reel ?

I haven't fly fished for about 30 years. I enjoyed it, but just got busy with life, and never got around to picking it back up...

Lately I have been thinking about getting started in it again. When my grandpa passed away 6 years ago, I got his old fishing poles, reels, and tackle.
Today I went out to the shed and brought in his old fly pole and reel.

I can't find any markings on the pole, but the reel is a Pflueger Medallist. I did some research, and found the reel was made in the 50's.
I plan on using this setup, but wondered if anyone else here, has a favorite vintage fly reel.

Im not much of a fly fisherman but have dabbled in it for 40 years. I use them almost strictly for bluegill . I have never understood the need for expensive fly reels but then again I am a novice. All I use the reel for is to hold string , as I bring the fish in by pulling the line with my hands and not the reel handle. Anyway a few years ago i bought a Bass pro combo. Its junk. The reel keeps falling apart and the rod doesnt stay together. Im now back to using my forty year old cheap Martin reel on the bass pro rod.

I usually always prefer older stuff. It might not be the latest and greatest, but it always seems to work.

If someone blindfolded me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 20 dollar reel, and a 200 dollar reel.

I'm still using my old Eagle Claw spinning rod, that I got for my birthday about 35 years ago. Stii has the Mitchell 300 on it that I got at the same time.

I never thought of fly fishing for Bluegill. We have some good spots here for them. May have to give that a try

MartinFlyReel.jpg

Martin "tuna can reel"

Great thread! First: flyfishing for bluegills is awesome and you can have a ton of fun on a small farm pond with a few popper flies. That is how I was taught to use a fly rod and only later did I learn that you can catch trout w a fly rod.
Second: Pflueger medalists are great old reels and they still work great today so if you have one get out and fish with it. I am actually looking for an old Pflueger to go with a 1950s era bamboo fly rod that I just had refinished.

If someone blindfolded me, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 20 dollar reel, and a 200 dollar reel.

Yes you would.;) I'm by no means a snob, but when I got a better reel it was like getting a new car.
I don't have a vintage favorite, as they were all "just line holders", now with proper balance and a drag system
loaded with a matching WF double taper, fly fishing is even more enjoyable.
Bluegills around these parts are in the shallows spawning when the cotton flies from the Cottonwood trees. Wading around Dapping flys in the beds is most enjoyable.:thumbup:

Hardy flyweight, featherweight and perfect. Really, any older Hardy reel is worth having and using.

The new reels are far superior the ones of the past. If you like the old cause it works or you like nostalgic I can understand that.

I still use my Medalist 1494 1/2 fly reel that I got in 1968. Works fine. Of course, I still use my Berkley Parametric rod that I got the same year. They just fit me. Last year, I bought them one of those fancy cases that only requires breaking the rod in half to store. Now I feel modern!!!

My spinning rods and reels get constantly updated but not my fly outfit --- and I DO use it many times each year.

The old Hardy click & pawls (when they were still made by craftsmen...) were great reels, and generally all you really need for trout, bass, etc. The newer ones (being made across the other pond) are disappointing to say the least, from what I've seen. I won one in a fishing contest a couple years ago, and promptly ebay'ed it.

I saw one in the fly shop the other day and would like to fish with one.

The F2 653/3 is the best of the bunch. Loads with a few feet of line out. Best small stream rod I've fished in 45 years of fly fishing.

The new reels are far superior the ones of the past. If you like the old cause it works or you like nostalgic I can understand that.

I do like old stuff. I still have trouble with change. It takes me quite awhile to try newer stuff. Usually when I do, it has already long since outdated :D

I still use my Medalist 1494 1/2 fly reel that I got in 1968. Works fine. Of course, I still use my Berkley Parametric rod that I got the same year. They just fit me. Last year, I bought them one of those fancy cases that only requires breaking the rod in half to store. Now I feel modern!!!

My spinning rods and reels get constantly updated but not my fly outfit --- and I DO use it many times each year.

Funny you mentioned that. When I was about 14 years old ( about 38 years ago :D) my parents bought me a matching Eagle Claw spinning rod with a Mitchell 300 reel, and a fly rod.
Even though I have a few newer setups, I usually go back to my old stuff. I do like using an ultralight though from time to time...

The old Hardy click & pawls (when they were still made by craftsmen...) were great reels, and generally all you really need for trout, bass, etc. The newer ones (being made across the other pond) are disappointing to say the least, from what I've seen. I won one in a fishing contest a couple years ago, and promptly ebay'ed it.

I had a similar experience with a new Mitchell spinning reel some time back. I have always liked the old Mitchells, they are great reels. A couple years ago, my wife bought me a new spinning rod, with a new Mitchell reel... :eek:
Wow, have they changed. It worked fine, but it is mostly plastic. It got removed, and I found another old 300 and put on it :D

I do have a favorite vintage reel. It is in storage while I am on the road, and I cannot recall what make or model it is. My father was in the Navy, Mom decided that divorce was a good option for her, and it hit dad pretty hard. On leave, he bought this fishing reel, went out into the woods for a couple of weeks and thought about what he was going to do. As a result, he became one in the first group of Navy Seals. He taught my brothers and I how to fly fish with that reel, and it still works today. The rod was broken around 1982. I never knew the history of the reel until a few years ago, and it might be cheating to use sentimentality for "Favorite" but when I am home I use it for panfishing. And thinking about my Dad.

Hello Bumppo,

If you send me a few photo's I might be able to tell you what you have! I been in fly fishing all my life. Always willing to trade high end fly tackle for a TAD KNIFE or equipment! Thanks!

Rick

Rick@westslopefly.com

Back