What's your go to soft bait .

The last two years I'd have to say the Reaction Innovations Skinny Dipper swim bait.
3/16 oz swimbait hook... toss it out and crank it in like a spinnerbait or buzz bait. Or pitch it like a jig. Or hop it like a worm.

The 10 or 15 years before that I'd have said sluggo.
TX rigged, weightless and fished with twitches and pauses.
I liked bright colors like bubble gum or white so I could see the bait.
Often you'd watch it twitching along and it'd disappear.
Like a light going off... time to set the hook :D

Went out today and it was HOTTT and humid tried the zoom in heavy weed . Texas rig with a sinker did not catch any . A lot of foot work plus I had my nephew with me he was done in a 1 hr . So we went back to an area where there's sunnies and did that for for fun . I need to learn how to pick lures for condition . Water color , heavy weeds , green water , stain water , ,etc . Any info will help .

Low visablity and hot conditions: the fish need to hear/feel the bait and it needs to stay in th strike zone long enough for them to find it. Big tails, carolina rigged with the rod tip kept low, or I like texas rigged, hook in the back half of the bait and use a bead behind the weight for noise. Rod tip high, but try to work th bait vertically more than across the bottom.

Top water or clear conditions, bright colors, smaller tails and faster retrieves.

My go to was a Berkely Power worm 10" in red/black with a 1/2-3/4 oz bullet sinker texas rigged and fished deep in the elodea weeds for long times. Also, putting a large curly tail worm as a trailer on a double colorado blade 3/8oz spinner worked well.

Though I hvent seriously fished for bass in years, I used to keep a rod and tackel box in my truck when I was working construction. I often had a few hours throughout the day waiting on bids and proposals so I would just find a levee and fish for a bit.

-X

Thanks for your advice . Never thought about that the bass had to hear/ feel then find the bait due to water clarity . Great thanks .

I have yet to try them on bass but the Gulp Minnows by Berkley are deadly on trout(freshwater and saltwater). The Paca Chunk in green pumpkin is my favorite bait for smallmouth.

Here's some photos of my go to fish killers......

3" grubs with a 1/4 oz darter lead head
100_6229.jpg

3" twin tailed grubs...notice the white looks similiar to the single tailed in the previous picture....used scissors to amputate the extra tail
100_6230.jpg

1 1/2" grubs with a 1/16 oz lead head
100_6231.jpg

Proof is in the pudding
0613131901-01.jpg

0613131900-02.jpg

bad picture...the sun is shining on her belly...they bass are real dark green on top and very light colored on their bellies....

Back