Wheeler's Steel * Stuck in the metal with you

I was so happy to see this thread back at the top again.
Nick sent me a bar of steel and a file way back when, and with those things I made my first knife.
I'm now at the beginning stage of my professional knife making career, and Nick's mentoring and this thread in particular was unequivocally the spark which lit that flame.
A big thank you, again, to Salem Straub for taking the time to preserve the photos which made this thread something extra special.

I remember to have seen that tutorial when I was starting this path. This is one of the reasons I'm here now, so thanks again to Nick Wheeler for this and for other tutorials.
A few years ago, I made a device to rivet the pins on the handles from a video of Nick's.
Definitely one of the bladesmith I would like to know in person.

Stuck in the metal with you was and still is one of the best how to threads. I copied and pasted all of Nick's comments, resized/copied the pictures and removed the emojis and other comments and printed a hard copy. Great reference.

This tutorial and Will Morrison's are two of the best. This is my version of Nick's doming fixture:

This is still one of the best WIP's ever!

Huge thanks to Nick and Lorien for this "book" on how it is done....and for those who say..."Why does it cost so much?" Read this and learn and now you understand what goes into knife making from start to finish. Just unbelievable skill and know how.

Back