where do we do the next challenge?

here? subforum? Rick, dammit, help me out here.

I vote necker, 7 inches OAL limit. maybe 6.5?

We still need to do camp kitchen and urban survival carry challenges, too.

Of course, since I want to MAKE knives for this (these) I don't want to be judgin, so some peoples will have to step up there. Brian, Tony, Mike, Marcelu, Joe, and the rest of the prior crews have definitely done great jobs!

Last edited:
I want to see the necker as well. Going to be looking into one in a couple months. If we could get a good group to make them, it would definitely help me out.

Great idea. I like the idea of a Necker challenge. Something along the lines of a "survival blade". More often than not, I find myself with just a small belt knife or necker. I love my big blades, but the reality is that I often have only a 2.5"-3" blade with me. I'd go 7" oal max. Sheath design might be a big factor.

I love these challenges. I offer my services as a judge if you want or need them. Anything i can do to help out just let me know.

Best,

I was thinking about a new challenge a couple days ago when I had this out. Simply one of my favorite knives. EDC challenge!! :thumbup:

IMG_2522.jpg

Last edited:
Christof and myself were discussing what challenges we could have a few months ago, and it resparked a couple days ago when I mentioned that it was about time for another. An EDC challenge would be similar to a necker challenge, IMO. Both are generally the same size.

I'm game for whatever. Neckers pose some interesting design ideas usually, but a 3.5 inch or whatever EDC would be really cool.

You have to come up with a reasonable task list, prefarably not somehting heavily covered in the previous ones, lest an EDC become a bushie challenge.

Some day I'd love to see an axe/tomahawk challenge. Imagine what our custom makers could do with that!:cool:

Id love to get in on this one! It seems 75% of my orders are 7" OAL knives. Id love to see what you guys would come up with.

What about a 6.5 - 7" friction folder? I've been itching to build one for awhile and a challenge would force me to finnaly get round to it.

I'd been in for a necker/edc build too.

Bruce

I like the idea of a necker challenge. It's actually a pretty difficult knife to pull off, and the sheath plays a big role.

I am a new maker and would love to be a part of this. Just started back during the bushcraft challenge and regretted not getting in.

Bruce-

I think a friction folder would be cool, too. I'm going to vote for the necker first, and see if we can't get an "urban" (edc?) camp kitchen, and friction folder put on the list as we go. Pulling one of these off every 6-8 months isn't really that hard (on my end, making knives for challenges)

But I agree with JcavSD- the necker is a particular little beast and all aside from wanting to beat you and rick :D - I really wnat to see what people come up with.

But thus far we don't have input from any of our mods..... and we need a judging system. I *really* like the multiple judges thing a lot. Be cool if we could get, say- pit, mike, etc - some one or two from the US (maybe with a woods and desert variation) and kgd up in canuckistan?

Whoever steps up and volunteers for this- we also need a set testing/task list. From salami to firestarting and tape removal (tape removal is something I do a LOT with a necker, for some reason)- someone has to make some stuff up.

But I agree with JcavSD- the necker is a particular little beast and all aside from wanting to beat you and rick....

That's why the fricton folder would be great - on Rick's knife the blade will be impossible to open being trapped underneath the wrapped handle!:)

...aside from wanting to beat you and rick :D - ...

That's what this is all about. You're scared of losing to them again on a bigger scale. So you want to lose on a small knife now. :p

Just kidding, of course. I think it'd be interesting how many different patterns there would be that could fill the necker roll, myself.

The necker is actually one of the best platform for installing stupid little do-dads that aren't so stupid when installed on a necker/edc style knife. So I can't wait to see the creativity of bottle openers, wire cutters and flathead screwdrivers incorporated into a neat and aesthetically simple package. Ha.....Now ya's all shak'n in thee boots! :D :D :D

Back