Which Benchmade should I go with, thoughts?

Cwilliams563

Gold Member
***Bought an Osborne 940-1 on 1-29-24*** Thanks for the help all!

I have a couple gift cards from Cabelas I need to use for ~$300. Looking at maybe getting a Benchmade from them.

I was initially going to get the Hidden canyon fixed blade #1501-7 in S90V for my backpack while hunting, but thinking I have enough hunting knives and customs to cover that road.

Looking at a few folders in premium steel only (would like S90V, 390, M4 or Cru Wear). I like bigger folding knives around the Spyderco Police full size, Spartan SHF (large), and the CRK Sebenza large 31 being about the smallest I prefer, but have carried smaller.

Seems people like the Bugouts but am afraid they’ll be too small for me. Looking for thoughts if were in my shoes from folks that have handled and owned the below listed knives on my possibilities list. I haven’t bought a Benchmade in years except for a fixed blade lightweight Altitude for hunting, nor handled any except for my old folder I still have.

List I’m considering now
-Bugout carbon #535-3 3.24” blade https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-bugout-carbon-fiber-folding-knife
-Bugout aluminum 535BK-4 3.24” blade https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-535bk-4-bugout-folding-knife
-Osborne carbon 940-1 3.4” blade https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-osborne-carbon-fiber-folding-knife
-Adamas full size 275GY-1 3.82” https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-adamas-folding-knife

Those are really the only 4 folders that Cabelas has that may strike my interest. From a purely size perspective the Adamas is the biggest and may be my best choice for my likes. I am sure the Bugouts will be too small and possibly the Osborne on the cusp. The Adamas is like 6.45oz and seems pretty bulky. Curious what everyone would choose and why. As of now, I’m leaning towards the full size Osborne S90V or Adamas in Cru Wear

Last edited:
From your description, the bugouts are going to "feel" small. They have decent height in the handle, but they are thin. The Osborne, being in that sweetspot mid-size has a narrower vertical profile than some of the others but still has some heft and bit of thickness in the scales, and the Adams is, as you say pretty bulky, but I think they are overall pretty slim given their height. Though I suspect they end up just as wide as the osborne.
I think the best would be to get them both in hand and see which fits you the best, and might want to just confirm you are getting what you want in person from cabellas. While I have not heard that they are suffering the amazon problem (I'm not in the US and so it's not a thing I go out of my way to look for). Given that we are talking a half an inch in blade length, I really think they are close enough that your hands will tell you which one you want, rather than just the stats.

out of the list you’ve presented i think the adamas is closer to what you’re used to carrying. something else you might consider is the 15080 crooked river. it’s actually a bit longer than the adamas and to me feels like it’s got a bit more heft to it too

G gadgetgeek My nearest Cabelas is 5 hours away, so this will be ordered online. Unfortunately, can’t feel and hold them in person which is why I was hoping to get advice from people that have. You’re correct that having them in hand would be the best route. The Adamas is a little longer blade, you’re right, seems much wider and more substantial.

M mrfields I had looked at the crooked river also, they only have it in S30V steel, so that’s a no go for me. Otherwise it may be a good overall size and looks pretty good.

Does anyone have both an Adamas and full size Osborne they could post up side by side for comparison, or a link to them together? I haven’t been able to find any pics online or video of the 2 together.

Here's all four lined up pivot to pivot.

01evjWF.jpeg

You can't go wrong with any of the four. If you want a big tanky folder, then the Adamas is excellent. A robust but lighter knife that's easy to carry, then the 940. If you want maximum efficiency for size and weight, then the Bugout. The carbon fiber in particular. I'll also throw out the Mini Adamas, and M4 Freek and Bailout as great choices too.

I have a couple gift cards from Cabelas I need to use for ~$300. Looking at maybe getting a Benchmade from them.

I was initially going to get the Hidden canyon fixed blade #1501-7 in S90V for my backpack while hunting, but thinking I have enough hunting knives and customs to cover that road.

Looking at a few folders in premium steel only (would like S90V, 390, M4 or Cru Wear). I like bigger folding knives around the Spyderco Police full size, Spartan SHF (large), and the CRK Sebenza large 31 being about the smallest I prefer, but have carried smaller.

Seems people like the Bugouts but am afraid they’ll be too small for me. Looking for thoughts if were in my shoes from folks that have handled and owned the below listed knives on my possibilities list. I haven’t bought a Benchmade in years except for a fixed blade lightweight Altitude for hunting, nor handled any except for my old folder I still have.

List I’m considering now
-Bugout carbon #535-3 3.24” blade https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-bugout-carbon-fiber-folding-knife
-Bugout aluminum 535BK-4 3.24” blade https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-535bk-4-bugout-folding-knife
-Osborne carbon 940-1 3.4” blade https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-osborne-carbon-fiber-folding-knife
-Adamas full size 275GY-1 3.82” https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-adamas-folding-knife

Those are really the only 4 folders that Cabelas has that may strike my interest. From a purely size perspective the Adamas is the biggest and may be my best choice for my likes. I am sure the Bugouts will be too small and possibly the Osborne on the cusp. The Adamas is like 6.45oz and seems pretty bulky. Curious what everyone would choose and why. As of now, I’m leaning towards the full size Osborne S90V or Adamas in Cru Wear
All good choices there, friend.

Allow me to direct your interest toward the 273 mini-Adamas. It is anything but "mini". I wished you could handle both physically, I think you would agree. The full size 275 is a beast. The law of diminishing returns renders it to be a bit of an "awkward anchor" for me.

Bugouts are too flimsy for me.

The 940 as mentioned above out of your 4 would get my nod.

Here's all four lined up pivot to pivot.

01evjWF.jpeg

Thank you so much for posting these pics up! On paper the Adamas is less than 1/2” overall length and doesn’t seem like much, but sxs with how substantial the blade and overall knife is… holy cow! lol, HUGE difference. The 940-1 in carbon, seems like I may be leaning that direction currently now.

Thanks for the replies and I’ll view some reviews of the Adamas vs. mini Adamas since Cabelas has that as well. I’m sure I’ll be happy with whatever I go with.

Yeah the Adamas has a completely different feel than the 940. The taller profile, thicker blade stock and full steel liners make it considerably heavier. The Mini Adamas strikes a nice balance between robustness and carryability. It's one of my favorite Benchmade models. The 940 is a joy to carry though.

G gadgetgeek My nearest Cabelas is 5 hours away, so this will be ordered online. Unfortunately, can’t feel and hold them in person which is why I was hoping to get advice from people that have. You’re correct that having them in hand would be the best route. The Adamas is a little longer blade, you’re right, seems much wider and more substantial.

M mrfields I had looked at the crooked river also, they only have it in S30V steel, so that’s a no go for me. Otherwise it may be a good overall size and looks pretty good.

Does anyone have both an Adamas and full size Osborne they could post up side by side for comparison, or a link to them together? I haven’t been able to find any pics online or video of the 2 together.
Fair call on that one. I kinda suspected that might be the case, but lots of guys like retail to the point that in and out with no trace is the goal, so could have been that. I think in this case hand size is the factor. I generally wear a small to medium glove size and for me the osborne would be more ideal, but because of the rounder handle shape it fits me alright, if you have big mitts then then Adams would be fine. I'm not a fan of tall slab handles because they don't index into my hand in an ideal way.

Fair call on that one. I kinda suspected that might be the case, but lots of guys like retail to the point that in and out with no trace is the goal, so could have been that. I think in this case hand size is the factor. I generally wear a small to medium glove size and for me the osborne would be more ideal, but because of the rounder handle shape it fits me alright, if you have big mitts then then Adams would be fine. I'm not a fan of tall slab handles because they don't index into my hand in an ideal way.

I wear medium to large gloves so the Osborne should fit well. The Adamas full sized certainly looks like a full sized grip and I get what you mean about tall slab handles.

Just ordered the Osborne 940-1 in Carbon Fiber and S90V https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/benchmade-osborne-carbon-fiber-folding-knife

Thank you everyone for the help, advice, and most importantly side by side pictures!

Pics deleted to try and make enough room for new ones

Last edited:
out of the list you’ve presented i think the adamas is closer to what you’re used to carrying. something else you might consider is the 15080 crooked river. it’s actually a bit longer than the adamas and to me feels like it’s got a bit more heft to it too
Same thinking about that 15080 crooked river is best for him.

All the choices mentioned are great, but have you checked out the Taggedout? It is kind of a bigger version of the Bugout. The Taggedout is currently my favorite EDC.

Whoops, I see you have made your choice. I think you're gonna love that 940.

S Sibyrnes the tagged out does look nice. Cabelas doesn’t have the steel I am interested in that I listed in my 1st post. Looks like it does come in different steel from other dealers though (S45 and Magnacut that I saw on a quick search). I do love slicey knives! At .09 and that shape, it should be a good slicer.

Looking at the specs and the shape, it looks like it would be very similar to my Giant Mouse Jutland, minus the .09 thin blade. The Jutland is a good all around size/shape and the Taggedout should be as well.

940-1 is a solid choice. The regular 940 was my first Benchmade. I have had it a decade and it’s great. I am confident in a couple months you will be really happy with the decision.

Back