Which BK handle is better for long chopping/hacking?

Which BK handle is better for long chopping/hacking?

Some people I talked to about long term hacking sessions like machete say smooth handle is better. Micarta might be better for "Short term" chopping and hacking..

Others said Micarta is better for longer terms.

Note I forgot to ask if use of gloves factor in to this.

So can any one tell me what one is better. With Gloves and With out Gloves, may as well get as much useful advice as possible.

Reason I got Micarta handled and Zytel handled BK 9s, would like to know if should keep them as is or get more micarta handles. These may not be my dedicated heavy choppers but I want to be ready as in such cases they maybe all I have at the time if I just take one multi-tool with me when I don't feel the need for a dedicated heavy chopper to come along.

I don't feel like micarta is needed over the factory scales since they are perfectly fine as well. I just like the warmth of micarta handles and that's just personal preference. No gloves when chopping here. I've done extended chopping with the factory and the micarta and they both work fine. It's all going to boil down to what you like the best really.

IMG_0426.JPG Eather will work well. I like to make the scales conform to the tang with sandpaper than it's about getting your hand conditioned by just working with the knife. Your skin will toughen up the more you work :D . :p But true :)

Last edited:
For long chopping:
Zytel handled BK 9s: Use no gloves and a 6 pack of beer
Micarta handled: Use no gloves and 2 6 packs of beer

Surprisingly the factory grivory grips look like they may be slick or not so comfortable ... but the shape is what makes them very comfortable and functional.

I have Beckers with the orginal grips and some with after market micarta scales ... and to me it's just a matter of personel preference. I can use the factory grips even with gloves as well as the micarta.

My suggestion would be to buy the knife you want and try it out before spending the extra for micarta grips ... and see how it feels to you ... then decide.

On my Bk9 I like the Micarta scales. I tried some Micarta on my Bk4 and didn't really care for them. My snap cuts with the Bk4 just seemed more fluid with the Grivory. Your mileage may vary.

I vote for grivory as it causes less hot spots. Lotta people talk about grip, but really it is a nonissue. We have bushels of threads showing that the stock grivory is just fine. And it comes with it, so as has been said, less money. If later you want micarta, by all means do so, but give the stock grips a chance.

There is my two cents, for what it is worth. Go forth and do good things, and for the love of Dubz post pics!

Axes, at least the good ones have always had smooth, shaped wood handles, the grivory is more like this. The design is so good, they just work.

This may not fit what that dumb OP...hey it was...er that GREAT AND WISE OPer posted. :D

Well the micarta handles on a BK2 seem to benefit the knife more for what seems finer control and such with the extra traction and grippiness. The game processing BK2 will use them! Don't think will do long chopping sessions with the BK 2 though. But its nice know its capable of it.

Back