Which bk should I buy?

I have a few 5 inch blades already so I'm not so interested in the bk2, I'm thinking bigger. Which is the best one to have on my belt to fell trees, baton, chop, but not be completely out of reach of smaller tasks? Suggestions for an aspiring beckerhead?

fell trees? how big?

seems like you've just talked yourself into a BK9, that's about all there is :)

Not LOTR trees but over 5 inch diameter.

i think what you want is called an axe my friend :)

yes, you can chop a 5 inch or more tree with a knife. it won't be fast, it might be fun the first time. might be less fun as you hack out logs and split them :) in a survival situation, you'd probably want smaller stuff anyway...

eventually, you might want to skip the axe, and go with a frame saw if you're making a lot of logs from the downed tree.

but yeah, an axe :) a good 18+ inch hatchet to a medium forest axe... that would be great.

and a BK9 :)

I must agree, sounds like an axe/hatchet is the proper tool for this job. Every knife, no matter how big, is a poor substitute for an axe. (The exception would be certain khukuris, which can sub for a hatchet in many circumstances.)

That said, the BK9 is a great chopper and a very impressive slicer too. Paired with something like a Vic Trekker/Rucksack, it's tough to beat.

A BK9 is just about the perfect weight for what it sounds like you need. A big knife that can do SOME small knife work, I say pair it with a Remora, or BK11/14, for the perfect backwoods combo.

It will take a 5" tree, but you will want to beaver through it, not go Lumberjack and hack straight at it. I was suprised at how well it could work for some tasks. I been working with mine more lately, and with some more practice, it will do quite well, you just need to change to suit it, not the other way around.

Its a very capable knife, worth of a good home, and for the money, get it anyway.:thumbup:

Moose

For me personally, I don't think I'll be tackling any trees with a knife unless I'm in a true survival situation, and then yes, a BK9 would probably be my blade of choice. I think that it is best suited for the heavier of camp chores, and should be carried along with a smaller companion knife...think BK11/14, BHK Bushcrafter, Izula, etc...for the smaller/finer work.

Just my .02 though...

I have a few 5 inch blades already so I'm not so interested in the bk2, I'm thinking bigger. Which is the best one to have on my belt to fell trees, baton, chop, but not be completely out of reach of smaller tasks? Suggestions for an aspiring beckerhead?

You might find the BK7 to have a little more utility value than the BK9. While the BK9 is an awesome chopper whose equal for the price cannot be found, I think you might find it a bit lacking in the "smaller tasks" arena. Just my 2¢.

You might find the BK7 to have a little more utility value than the BK9. While the BK9 is an awesome chopper whose equal for the price cannot be found, I think you might find it a bit lacking in the "smaller tasks" arena. Just my 2¢.

yeah, but a BK7 won't be chopping anything, really. oh, sure if you absolutely have to. it's a rough bit of work.

the true answer is to buy them all and find out in person... then mix and match...

probably an axe and a BK2, or the upcoming BK12 er i mean Ritter Perseverance as a combo...

or maybe a BK7 and a BK11/14 and an axe...

perhaps the BK13 :>

Chopping down even medium girth trees is a lot of work with a knife buddy. I can, have, and will still do it. An axe or a tomahawk is much quicker and a lot less work. I like to whack a few down now and then with a knife because it's just fun. There are other considerations. If you want to keep your weight\gear to bare bones minimum, which I often like, a big chopper like a BK-9 makes sense over humping an axe. Just be aware that it is much more work to down a tree with a knife.

Your all gonna hate on this but I'm a one blade kinda guy. Since I'm mostly backpacking I usually try to go as light as possible. I have a rat 5, lmf 2, sak trekker, and a leatherman wave 2, as well as a sawvivor, I usually carry one at a time or make the lightest suitable combo. I'm thinking of buying a beast long bowie to be my fixed blade, saw, and give me the chop I'm lacking. Bk9 sound like what I'm goin for?

Your all gonna hate on this but I'm a one blade kinda guy. Since I'm mostly backpacking I usually try to go as light as possible. I have a rat 5, lmf 2, sak trekker, and a leatherman wave 2, as well as a sawvivor, I usually carry one at a time or make the lightest suitable combo. I'm thinking of buying a beast long bowie to be my fixed blade, saw, and give me the chop I'm lacking. Bk9 sound like what I'm goin for?

Yup, sure does.

Moose

Back