Which Boot Leather?

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
If you had the choice between elephant skin boots, snake skin boots, shark skin, stingray, or ostrich which would you pick and why?

A friend of mine won a contest and can get some Tony Lama boots (which I happen to like and own myself) and asked me. I told him ostrich would be my choice personally but he seems hell bent on elephant even after I told him they required more maintenance than ostrich will because elephant can dry and crack if you neglect them. (he'll neglect them trust me) his second choice was stingray and I told him I'd thought to get a pair of them one day but that I've had a pair of ostrich for over ten years resoled once so far and that I loved them even though they were not worn all the time. I like Ostrich because they are light weight and break in really fast. My elephant boots were tough but the first couple days maybe a week were hell on my feet. Eventually they did crack on me and dry out too. Other than this I really liked them but must say I like the ostrich better. To me the ostrich offers the best of all worlds.

What do you guys think? Thanks

STR

Very late to the party, but what the hell....

Shark, ostrich, and stingray, in that order. Elephant is tougher, but as you've said, it takes a lot of care. Stingray is all the rage for tough hide right now, but I've never worn it, and I like the look of sharkskin better.

For what it's worth, I'm wearing ostrich belly boots right now - also known as "smooth ostrich". Your friend might be like me and like the look better than full-quill, and so far I'd say it wears as well as full-quill. As a bonus feature, smooth ostrich boots are cheaper than full-quill. :)

Doc

I have a pair of smooth ostrich also and have not seen that it wears any better or worse than quill. Like you I like the looks of it better without all the quill dimples. Particularly I like how comfortable the ostrich gets over time. Its like a nice pair of slippers after a while and you can't beat it.

STR

I very rarely can get away with ordering shoes on line. Now and then my wife has managed to pull off a miracle over the years with some like the UGG shoes which seem to be quite forgiving. In others especially here in the last few years since finding Merrells she has been doing okay as well for me when buying me gifts. I still had to return the first pair of Merrell brand shoes she got me though because they tend to be a half size off so instead of a 12 I need a 12.5 to fit right in Merrell shoes but once I figured that out I managed to get two pairs mail order with no problems. I can't do that with Tony Lama or other brands of boots I've liked and worn. Most of those types of shoes have to be bought local at either Boot City or Atwoods, Browns shoes and places like that which are local for me. Generally speaking for tennis shoes, work boots and dress boots or shoes my feet are very picky about what they like. Arch support has to be just so or I can't wear them. Too much hurts and not enough hurts. I tend to find the ones just right after about 20 tries usually.

STR

Back