Which Emerson is best for self defense?

Which is the best Emerson for self defense? The one in the hands of someone well trained. Focus more on training, and less on gear. Only then will you obtain what you are looking for. No knife alone is going to help you in a self defense scenario.

Well same thing could be said about anything. What caliber gun to bring to a gunfight is also often argued... Just don't show up!LOL!

Speaking of guns. Shot placement could be argued the same way. Training, practice ect. Then the caliber doesn't matter.

Unless you have a shotgun!

That is why I asked about the Emerson which slashes the best. Well I think the answer came from Mr. Emerson himself and that would be the Gypsy Jack.

[video=youtube;PwJz3KgAuJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwJz3KgAuJ0[/video]

If slashing is the most important to you I think a karambit hawkbill style blade shape is superior. I have a cqc 13 and recently purchased a super karambit. Softly drawing each across my skin makes it very clear to me. While both are quite capable, the karambit makes me want to pee a little bit. Vicious capabilities.

^^ wholeheartedly agree. I have the Persian and Super Kbit, and by far the Super Kbit is scarier when you think about the potential. The ring also makes for a nice knuck and helps to keep the knife secure in your hand.

^^ wholeheartedly agree. I have the Persian and Super Kbit, and by far the Super Kbit is scarier when you think about the potential. The ring also makes for a nice knuck and helps to keep the knife secure in your hand.

Mr. Emerson speaks very highly of the weapon retention aspect which is what attracted me to the design. They are just demonic and with the wave freaky fast. My 13 is still beloved by me, though. :thumbup:

As far as the Kbit. I prefer the reach of a longer blade. My ideal is to cut but keep distance.

As far as the Kbit. I prefer the reach of a longer blade. My ideal is to cut but keep distance.

Not sure how much "reach" a pocket folder brings to the table, brother. I understand what you mean. Do yourself a favor and get one of Mr. Emerson's videos. That will be far more beneficial than knuckleheads like us.

Being attacked with a knife is one of the most psychologically damaging situations a person can experience. Carrying a knife in no way guarantees you an advantage, nor does it mean that you are on equal ground as the attacker. Recently, a friend was attacked as he was on his way home from work, he was beaten and stabbed. He had a knife that was designed for self defense on him, but it probably did not help prevent that from happening. If someone is intent on doing harm to you, they might be successful, regardless of what is in your pocket (brand of knife). Awareness is a better tool, IMO.

Which is the best Emerson for self defense? The one in the hands of someone well trained. Focus more on training, and less on gear. Only then will you obtain what you are looking for. No knife alone is going to help you in a self defense scenario.

A big +1 to this. The tools are less important than the capability of the individual carrying them. It took almost 15 years for this to really make sense to me, and sometimes I still struggle with it, thinking I just need a better tool. Practice and training will do more for you than the "perfect weapon."

I agree with what most people are saying. One of the best weapon's is your body. If your weak chances are you won't win a knife fight unless skilled using them or just can overpower your opposition. I personally look for knives that have a blade 4" long or over cause want to punture vital organs and blades thick enough not to snap in half easily. I'm a novice when it comes to knives but the nicer ones I'm getting my hands on the more the obsession is growing and I think an Emerson or Dark Ops knife is the next on my list too.

One type of grip on a Karambit is the called the extended grip. Not a lot of power with this grip, but it gives you around another 5" of reach. You can't do that with any other knife that doesn't have a ring.

As for distance, haha, yeah knife fighting would be fun if both parties kept a safe distance. But that is not reality. Knife fights get up close in personal really quickly.

One type of grip on a Karambit is the called the extended grip. Not a lot of power with this grip, but it gives you around another 5" of reach. You can't do that with any other knife that doesn't have a ring.

As for distance, haha, yeah knife fighting would be fun if both parties kept a safe distance. But that is not reality. Knife fights get up close in personal really quickly.

It can get close if you don't know how to fight and are not currently training and athletic. The last place I want to be in a street fight is tied up with someone because there are usually more guys (friends) jumping in. Street fighting is not like MMA where you can go to the ground. You want to move and make sure other attackers don't get theirs.

Usually if you are approached in a place like Brazil there is more than one person.

I see the knife as just an extension of striking , using you feet to move and keeping distance.

I say all this because here in the good ol USA I can carry a gun. But in places I travel I can't carry a gun and the knife is my only weapon.

Your best bet is going to be ebay. It should be < $20. A Coldsteel Kadu will run you less than $10
Thanks- I have a couple of the "regular" Okapis, but I like the blade shape of the one above. Cheers-

It can get close if you don't know how to fight and are not currently training and athletic. The last place I want to be in a street fight is tied up with someone because there are usually more guys (friends) jumping in. Street fighting is not like MMA where you can go to the ground. You want to move and make sure other attackers don't get theirs.

Usually if you are approached in a place like Brazil there is more than one person.

I see the knife as just an extension of striking , using you feet to move and keeping distance.

I say all this because here in the good ol USA I can carry a gun. But in places I travel I can't carry a gun and the knife is my only weapon.

Well if it's not close then it's not a knife fight. Your attacker has to be close to you to cut/stab you. And you will be close to them defending off the knife attack. If neither are close to each other, but they draw a knife at a distance, then I'm drawing my gun or leaving the area.

I've taken such training. Knife fighting at safe distances makes no sense, if it's a safe distance, then leave the area if possible or deploy a lethal force option. But don't get into a knife fight at so called safe distance.

Well if it's not close then it's not a knife fight. Your attacker has to be close to you to cut/stab you. And you will be close to them defending off the knife attack. If neither are close to each other, but they draw a knife at a distance, then I'm drawing my gun or leaving the area.

I've taken such training. Knife fighting at safe distances makes no sense, if it's a safe distance, then leave the area if possible or deploy a lethal force option. But don't get into a knife fight at so called safe distance.

I understand your point about safe distance and just running away if you can.

But you probably won't run away when you have a girlfriend or wife with you. Unless the relationship was really bad. :D

I understand your point about safe distance and just running away if you can.

But you probably won't run away when you have a girlfriend or wife with you. Unless the relationship was really bad. :D

She knows how to run as well. If she's in the fight and I'm there, the bad guy is getting shot multiple times at close range.

Back