Which hunting knife patern you prefer?

I would say that there are two MAIN hunting paterns.
1. Long straight knife, MORA knives would be a good example.
2. Shorter, more curved blade(skinner type, maybe) with shorter handle - like spyderco moran, and many custom hunters.
3. Maybe there are more?

Which pattern would you prefer, and why?

For skinning purposes, I favor an old Buck that has a good belly. Back in the day it was called the Buck skinner, #103 if memory serves. For other hunting chores I like a four to five incher. For the pelvic bone I use an old Sager axe.

Additional processing is easy with a few vintage fillet knives that have been faithful friends over the years. The Mora blades will do great if you know how to use them!

Don't forget the sharpfinger. Great for deer and it's in a class of its own.

I guess sharpfinger is an purely american design. I've never seen anything like this in Europe.

I have what I think is a predecessor after a lot of searching. The original pattern was designed and made in the U.S. by Marbles. It was quickly followed by a slight redesign made in Germany exclusively for import here. Henry Baer of Schrade was the one to adapt the design to it's present form. It is a very popular and handy blade.

bdl7hk.jpg

I have what I think is a predecessor after a lot of searching. The original pattern was designed and made in the U.S. by Marbles. It was quickly followed by a slight redesign made in Germany exclusively for import here. Henry Baer of Schrade was the one to adapt the design to it's present form. It is a very popular and handy blade.

bdl7hk.jpg

Wow, a double edged version. Cool.

Thank you for your information.

Grohmann Knives of Nova Scotia Canada has been making DHRussell-pattern belt knives since 1958. The shape is unique and I sure do (25 years now!) appreciate mine. You might want to borrow or try out various types of knives before you commit because some are really pretty-looking but in practice are awkward to use.

Wow, a double edged version. Cool.

Thank you for your information.

The back of the knife is not sharpened as it may appear. The originals and these were intended as fishing knives and the back was meant for removing the scales from fish. Baer's version made the knife much better suited for skinning and butchering both large and small game. While original Sharpfingers may not be commonly seen in stores there (the company went under in 2004), both new and used ones are plentiful and reasonably priced on online auction sites.

This picture is of a Camillus GP152 version produced briefly by that company 2005-2007. It performs the same as the original Schrade knife in butchering this whitetail deer. The second knife pictured is a Schrade 165OT Woodsman.
30m7dcj.jpg

One would be hard pressed to find a topic which has not already been discussed here.

I never cease to be amazed by the 'search' function, even if it's just my own internal one.

By the way, I am 100% opposed to batoning with a Sharpfinger. Sasquatch agrees. You'll have to ask the bush hippy his opinion. :)

But what good is a knife that you can't baton with? :D

Gutted and fully dressed/skinned an elk with the Blade-tech Ganyana folder and a Black Tech Ulu. Both are amazing for this mission. Not sure they're any better than other considerations.

It's hard not to love a custom damascus hunter from one of our top makers.

This is my latest. I can't seem to take a pic that shows off the damascus properly but suffice it to say, it's really nice.

Another that I'm rather proud of is this Rule #9 by JK Knives. It's my design but John knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:
A couple Fitchs, hunter and a skinner both DI.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

DH3(Don Hanson III) hunter, Missouri walnut and bronze.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Matt Roberts hunter, curly maple, blued guard.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Doug

I prefer the Kephart style knife. It's able to perform many camp tasks, and with a 4 1/2 to a 4 3/4 inch blade, is a nice easy size to carry. I've also found the handle to just melt into my hand.

Alrighty, I've got the perfect hunting knife now and I'll never need another. David Stifle just built me a custom based on the 1902 Marbles' Ideal. What's not to love here?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Retro-cool! My grandfather wouold recognize it!

There is nothing but cool in that knife Codger. It looks like you could dismember and skin a deer and still shave in the reflection.

Back