Which Khukuri is Loaded for Bear?

A recent bear attack not far from here got me thinking- Which khukuri would I want with me if I were attacked by a 300 pound black bear?

Which one would you guys want?

"If a black bear attacks, the best thing to do is fight it."

Rory Aikens
Spokesman
Arizona Game and Fish Department

------------------
"To Know and to Act are One"

[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 05-01-2001).]

I would take my chances with my 25" sirupati. A few extra inches of reach is definitely a plus
biggrin.gif
Scary thought just the same.

I'm definately with you on the reach, but do think the sirupati would have enough mass to stop the action with one stroke? Because of the bears wieght and HIS reach I tend to think of this as a "one cut, one stiff" scenario.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Finn (edited 05-01-2001).]

I'd (of course)avoid such a confrontation if at all possible. Black bear attacks are generally rare though they do occur. Even when carrying a gun or large khukuri I'd be loathe to strike the first blow.

I've seen the aftermath of one attack up close (Algonquin Park, Canada)and was almost in a similar situation myself once in Yosemite while camping 25 years ago.

In my case, luckily, the bear decided to let me be after putting his paw on my shoulder and woofing on my face a couple of times. (Scary in the pitch dark, I can tell you. I was gripping a large hunting knife in my hand at the time waiting for the inevitable point of no return at which time the fight would be on. Still, I wasn't going to start it.)

Over the years most of my bear encounters have been very benign and ended with me and/or my buddies driving (without violence)the bear from our camp. These are some smart animals. I've watched them climb trees and cut paracord to get to suspended caches of food. Impressive.

But, to answer your question, in my collection I'd probably rely on a Gelbu Special or 18" WWII as both can be wielded quickly and still carry a good amount of mass.

Hope you never have to find out.

Blues

------------------
Live Free or Die

Blues' Knife Pix

With a 300lb bear, it won't make a lot of difference what khukuri you're carrying, because if it catches you, it can maul you over to the point of incapacitation, if not death, within 5 seconds, regardless whether or not you're lucky enough to get in the first blow. That thick fur is going to take a lot of the bite out of your slash anyway, and in his blind rage, he won't even notice it. No, I'm not an expert, and no, I've never been mauled by a bear, but every incident I've ever read or heard firsthand account of, or seen occur live on video affirms this. In this situation a $15 cannister of bear spray, or at least a good pair of running shoes, will be a better investment than any knife, to carry into bear country. I think it's a little bit of romantic fantasy to entertain the idea of fending off a large bear attack with a knife (speaking for myself mainly, because I've often thought of the same thing), because if you're ever in that situation, and it's too late to run, then you might be better off just dropping face down with your legs tucked underneath you and your hands covering your head and neck than you would to attack with a knife. You'd likely only agitate him further. He'll no doubt lose interest in you sooner if you're immobile and very still, perhaps thinking you're dead. I mean, there's a chance you'll die either way, but the experiences of survivors suggest that you improve your odds of survival by playing dead. At least that's the way I'm going to do it if I'm in that situation, God forbid. And odds are, I'll be carrying a khukuri with me at the time, ironically enough.

Perhaps Cliff can do a field test to see which khukuri penetrates into bear hide the deepest. I'd pay to see that.

I think the Himalayan black bear in the animal section of the FAQ was not a very big khukuri by our standards.

On a cooperative bear a full size GRS or 20" Ang Khola would must likely split the skull. I would opt for the GRS for better penetration. Now on a uncooperative bear I am not sure I would even be able to hit him in the head.

I agree that pepper spray is the best approach to bear. Running is likely a bad idea. Bears instintively run after animals runing from them.

I spooked a bear in the woods once. He took off about 30 yards from me. He moved very fast. If he came at me I am not sure I would have had enough time to even deploy and strike a well aimed blow with my khukuri.

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 05-01-2001).]

I'm with you Blues, avoidance is best. A scrimmage with a bear is way low on my list of recreational activities, and it would have to be the only course available to stay in one piece. The last reported attack in the general area was in 1996- a sixteen year old girl was mauled in her tent on Mt. Lemmon, which is in a different range. This also occurred at night- the victim sleeping (or trying to).

Sometimes you can do everything right and still it goes in the ole handbasket. Many thanks for relating your experiences.

------------------

Uncle,

Yes, the UBE or a GRS would be good for that work. I agree with X-Head and Will, an attack on yourself would most likely move fast and nasty, and the bear would be less than cooperative. The other part of this scenario is- what if the bear was mauling a family member or friend? I don't think I could trust pepper sprays alone for that, and I certainly couldn't just stand by. Nope, I'd wade in swinging, which would probably be safer for the victim than wading in shooting.

------------------

I just remembered reading in one of Grady McWhinnie's books on the antebellum South about a Louisiana gentleman who was famous for going into cane breaks to hunt black bear with nothing more than a butcher knife. He racked up quite a number of victims (30 or more as I recall) with little or no damage to himself.

------------------

Careful swinging at the bear with family and freinds are in the bear's jaws. I have read about quite a few stories were the animal was shot and the person it was mauling. On the positive side I have not seen any cases where the person shot was killed by the gunshot would.

Finn, did not man you mention have the assistance of dogs?

Will

[This message has been edited by Will Kwan (edited 05-01-2001).]

Who needs a khukuri! Just get him in a choke hold and snap his neck!!! Toe holds work well too!
Terry

You can bet your a** some trickery was involved on the biped's part. No way, no how is a butcher knife going to take a bear in a "stand up fight." The hunter got the drop on Br'er Bear, and I think this is the opposite situation. (And if I was going into the woods after a bear with a butcher knife, I'd have that SOB lashed to a stick and make me a spear, and the guys back home would be none the wiser.
biggrin.gif
)

If all I had was a khukuri it would definitely be a one-shot fight, I doubt anybody's going to get back up after a swipe from a bear. Considering a belly cut wouldn't stop him and a stab would require going past his jaws or flanking him, I'd go for the head or neck. I second the 25" sirupati. I want the reach and speed, and I'd reckon a 25" S. has plenty of chopping power at full swing to split a skull or get into the spine.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that bears generally only attack for one of two reasons; to protect their cubs and for food. I suppose that there's the obvious exception of rabies, but for now lets just go with these two. If the bear is attacking you to protect it's cubs, which it will likely only do if you are between it and them, playing dead is your best bet. All it wants then is for you to be incapacitated and no longer a threat to it's cubs. An immobile you is perfect in this situation. Then there's the other situation. Food. If the bear is hungry and coming after you, one of you is going to die. The bear here only wants you to hold still long enough for it to start on the first course. An immobile you in this situation just makes its job that much easier. So there are situations with bears in which it comes down to kill or be killed, where playing dead just won't cut it. I think that if I could see cubs, I'd play dead. Otherwise, I'd try to climb or fight, whichever was more convenient. There might be cubs you don't see, but the other possibility is just too real.

I'm sorry, I forgot to answer the question. I'd probably go with my GRS. If I managed to hit bone, it would probably ruin the edge. I found that out the hard way on a deer bone. But it has a ton of weight behind it and a very thin edge, plus it's very manueverable. You're only hope against a bear would be massive shock, which two pounds of moving steel would help to deliver.

"Which khukuri would I want with me if I were attacked by a 300 pound black bear?"

These things are bigger and tougher than the zombies who came after us before,...right?
Hmmmm, well, I guess I'd have to say my 14" villager. That way I wouldn't miss it as much
as a HI khukuri when I drop it and run like h*ll!!!

Will, it's been years since I read that book and I don't recall whether he had dogs or not- but as Doc says, he HAD to. I have to say though, people get away with doing some pretty amazing (see also INSANE) things.

From a forensic standpoint, a strong cut to the head with a highly efficient weapon like a heavy khukuri should do the trick on most any animal in the size range we are talking about. The trick is gettin' the lick.

Roadrunner, sometimes they attack just because they feel like it. Like cougars, they are unpredictable. The two kids in this attack had done everything right, and the bear was a loner.

------------------

My hunting pard helps his nephew run a bear hunting operation here in Maine.
We have seen a whole lot of dead black bears, killed from tree stands or over dogs.
A 300-lb bear is unusually large. Most are about the same size as a big man: 200 lbs. plus.
We say they are about as tough, pound for pound, as an NFL linebacker, and about as easy (or hard) to kill.
A bear will 'attack' in defense of her cubs, as Roadrunner pointed out, usually a 'false charge'. She can be bluffed back, or if she knocks you down, she will rough you up a bit and retire (usually.)
A bear that is used to raiding dumps and camps, or that has been baited heavily, equates man with food, and may attack and try to eat you. He won't be deterred by adopting a submissive posture.
As predators, bears are goofs. They can be intimidated and will usually run away if you face them down. The rare one that doesn't (we have never encountered one) needs killing RIGHT NOW. A blade weapon of any kind, short of a boar spear, will not do.
I do remember a bow-hunter who was attacked by a grizzly and killed it by stabbing it in the mouth/throat with one of his arrows while it was mauling him. Maybe a khuk would be more effective.
In any case, if you mix it up with a mad bear, you WILL be hurt.

------------------
The sword cannot cut itself, the eye cannot see itself.

Back