Which knife to get next???

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
Ok imagine this. You just sold your beloved x Swiss army truck and watched it drive away to Indiana from Oklahoma to appease relations with your other half after upgrading your shop and you have been in a funk trying to get the wind back in your sails. You have some money to spend and have already bought a couple of folders you wanted to replace after once owning them and letting them slip away, both high end productions, (Small and Large Sebenza) and you have already replaced another production fixed blade you once had but let go with great regret. ( Swamp Rat Camp Tramp )

You have one more desire to fill in the way of a smaller custom fixed blade. Which do I pick? (notice I changed it to "I" here. :D) Ok ok, I'm having some trouble getting over my Pinzgauer loss. I'm doing better but really, which maker and which knife?

I like the looks of primitive and I like hammer forged but I also like D2 because of its increased corrosion resistance. Kydex is appealing too. Also, I'm thinking $300 max left to splurge with. I want a good outdoors field knife small enough to conceal if need be with ample handle and a great sheath. I've had three Bob Dozier fixed blades and loved them all but I'm thinking something new for this venture. If I were wanting a folder I'd never need to ask but I've been out of the fixed blade loop for so long I just don't really know who is there to choose from these days. I have not focused there in some years.

Suggestions, links, comments???

STR

Yeah, I know. I've only got one there I would like and its the Wharncliff. The thing is though I already have two and want to get something different now.

I like Dan Kosters new little collaboration with that Fibermascus company. But I don't want to get another 01 anything. That steel rusts if you cry in the same room with it sitting on the other side of the room! :eek:

STR

I'd pick something up from Tom Krein. I think he's making some of the best fixed blades in the business right now.

You can check out his forum if you have a membership to the USN.

His mini-8 and pocket bowie models are both new and both are a great size for EDC.

Tom does his own high-quality kydex sheaths and also works with a Paul Long who does great leather.

But you could always get Lifter's Leather to do ya a sheath too. I have one from him and it's of the highest quality.

Here's another odd-ball option. If you could find a Primos Platypus somewhere, that would be a great choice for a custom fixed blade around $300. Though you might have a pay a bit more since Terry Primos stopped making knives. But the platypus is hand forged, convex ground, and a joy to hold and use.

Well now I know why I can't view any of my friend Tom's knives. I did ask him if he would make me some blades a while back in a private message but he didn't reply to me about it.

Lifter? I doubt he'd even do it but it would be nice if he did. I did write him to tell him how impressed I was with his work right after he expedited my resignation of the USN and that was the last time I emailed him. He didn't reply to me. I can't say for sure but it seemed he isn't too interested in talking with anyone that has other than glorifying praise for Strider but thats another story.

I appreciate the offer but it was Lifter in conjunction with other folks there that got busy making a list of folks from here to ban that had my name on it which led to them 'allowing me' to resign my membership' rather than be banned from the USN after getting involved in that thread Spark started here on the Good, the Bad and Ugly forum about Mick Strider. So, I would imagine if my guess is right that he would just delete any contact from my email and get a laugh out it.

Whats funny about that whole scenario is that I thought I kept my cool and was pretty decent about everything I said. I have nothing personal against Mick. I never did, I just said if, and I want to stress 'if' the things said about him are true that it was pretty low. I'm entitled to feel that way in my opinion and shouldn't have to tow the party line or explain myself to anyone about it but apparently there are unwritten rules to belong over there that I was not aware of.

STR

You broke a cardinal rule..:eek:..you had the gall to actually disagree with member of the USN mall-ninja mafia. :rolleyes: :jerkit:
You dastardly bastid you!:D

Well I went the other way on it. I ordered a A.G. Russell SeaMaster instead. I've been wanting one of those since the say I first saw one so my friend A.G. got a friendly email today to fill me an order on Monday. That will conclude my buying big for a while I think.

Thanks for the replies my friends. Wasn't quite as many as I had hoped for but thanks just the same. Hope that isn't a sign that my forum isn't interesting or known yet? :(:confused:

STR

Look at the Kanetsune knives @ www.knifecenter.com They also have some bare blade that you can make up into kits. I just did one and love it! Blue steel core, with damascus on the exterior of it, and the surface is left in the forged shape. Pretty cool, heavy duty using knife! Flat Sabre ground, convex edge, just add handles!

Oh yeah, my ricochet went out to you on Friday! I'm getting back into practice to finish it off!

Back