Which multitool do you like?

I love the Leatherman Wave my wife gave me for Christmas. Before that I carried an original Leatherman PST. The only other multitool I'm interested in is the SwissTool, because it also features tools you can open one-handed.

I use my Gerber Multi-plier on a regualr basis. It is easy to open one handed. However, I really do like the Schrade Super Tool. It feels pretty tough, and well made. I cannot speak on the Swiss Tool, having not seen one.

Dam!! they all sound good! I guess I'll have to tell my wife i want 'em all!
smile.gif

It seems no matter which you choose they all are quality items, Leatherman, Swiss, DREMEL!? Gerber, Thanks for the input you all put my mind to ease as I know that which ever I end up going with wil be of good quality. I'll then choose the one that fits my hand the best and just "feels right". It'll probably just be my first anyway!
biggrin.gif

I had Leatherman SuperTool and sold it to get money for Wave.
To be honest, a couple of times I've missed ST.
Reasons:
- lock for every bit
- stronger construction
- Wave is for lighter work than ST
On the other side, Wave
- has rounded corners in the handle
- has scissors; needed quite often
- has one hand opening for knifeblades
- has better lock for bits (when the lock exists) than ST

So, ideal tool for me would be the mixing of ST & Wave (their positive points).

But, I'm happy with Wave as it is, and after a year of co-operation it has become a part of my personality.
If I must be without it, I feel like I'm misssing something.

If you want a real user, get the Swisstool X (with scissors instead of the serrated blade) from http://www.toptexknives.com for $ 50.00 + 4.00 shipping. You will be not disappointed.
I have the Leatherman PST II: very good medium sized tool assortment, just bites your palms when you use it harder. I have handled the SuperTool and the Wave: just can repeat what others has already said. But IMHO the best is the Swisstool: solid, comfortable to held, the best tool assortment, the best fit&finish.
Yes, it is too heavy for pocket wear but anything bigger than the PST II is too heavy IMO. Yes, the screwdrivers have rounded edges and are very polished, but I have never had any problem with this. Yes, the Leatherman scissors are less sensitive to break, but the Victorinox scissors are better cutters. The blade on the wave is one hand opening, but this feature is not a comfortable and safe on this tool. The knife on the Swisstool has better blade geometry and is flat ground. The can opener on the Victorinox is way superior to the Leathermans. You have working metal file on the Swisstool. The Victorinox saw is one of the best you can get in such a small (for a saw) package. You have chisel/scraper and punch which are very useful outdoors. The tip of the punch is a little bit rounded, but surprisingly still functional while quite safe. The pliers on the Swisstool are not needlenose but still very close and more robust. Opening and closing the tools on the Swisstool is very smooth and safe, still the lock is very strong. You do not have clumping. All the tools in the handles of the Swisstool are accessible without opening the pliers. Overall you have the strongness of the Supertool with the comfortability of the Wave and the largest assortment of tools.
The Wave is definitely more elegant, but this is a minor concern outdoors. However in urban enviroment the Wave is "the king".If you have the money, get both the Wave and the Swisstool (or a PST and the Swisstool). It could be even useful: sometimes just one multitool is just not enough, especially if you use the pliers.
And don't forget those "must" mini/micro tools, like the Micra or a Victorinox Rambler.

Leatherman Super Tool and Swiss Tool from SAK

Love em both

I like the ST far more than the Wave.

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

My favorite is the Leatherman PSTII.

I think it is great for all around use for many different tasks.

It has scissors which are very useful.

The only thing I don't like about the Leathermans is that the grips are very uncomfortable when they are open.

Hi,

On the topic of multitools, i want to buy a Leatherman Pulse. Does anyone know of a good on-line retailer who will ship to the UK.

Thanks
PC.

I have carried all of the tools discussed above at one time or another, except for the LM Pulse. Until recently my favorite was the Victorinox SwissTool X.

Now I am carrying the Gerber Legend and I love it. The Legend is much lighter than the SwissTool but seems to be as strong. It also has a knife blade and scissors that can both be opened one-handed. A great design!

PC try the knifecenter.com

W.A.

------------------
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

Also try Cutlery Shoppe. Their product line doesn't appear as expansive as KnifeCenter, but their prices seem really good.

I appreciate the thread on multi-tools, and all contain great advice. Does anyone have any experience with the Spyderco multi-tool? And if so, what did you think?

Thanks....

I like the Leatherman Sideclip. It has the basic sturdy tools (no scissors) but is not as bulky as some of the larger models. How many tools do you really need? It is considerably larger than a Micra but smaller than the Wave. It clips to a pocket or whatever and doesn't require a sheath or a belt. With the popularity of clips on folding knives I'm surprised more people don't opt for the LM Sideclip.

The Sideclip is a perfect sized tool. The blade is good enough to work in concert with a good pocket knife/daily folder and the thing has pliers! The Sideclip is one of the unsung heros of the multitool quiver.

I have not carried a SpydeRench, but I did spend some time playing with one. The design is amazingly clever; I'm not convinced it is also practical.

Most of the tools were awkward to get at. Many of them also felt awkward to use once they were open. Both the pliers and the crescent wrench are limited to smaller nuts than I expected on a tool this size.

My guess is that if you spent some time learning your way around it most of the awkwardness would go away. The limitations of the tools are a more serious issue. If you don't really need full-size tools it might be a winner. If you do you should look at the Gerber Legend, Victorinox SwissTool, or one of the other more traditional designs.

The Leatherman Super Tool is great and on my belt as I type. Not as fast with the blade as some models, but real secure. Plus the price has dropped as newer models have come on the market.

Brad

Thanks for the heads-up on the SpydeRench bquinlan. Also, great review on the multi-tool Boriqua. Both replies are appreciated. It appears I will be buying something else.

LEATHERMAN!!! Supertool, or wave. The orignal and still the best!

THANKS!!!

-NAN-

------------------

-War alone keys up all human energies to their maximum tension and sets the seal of nobility on those people who have the courage to face it -Benito Mussolini-

Originally posted by PC:
On the topic of multitools, i want to buy a Leatherman Pulse. Does anyone know of a good on-line retailer who will ship to the UK.

The guy I buy from most is Brian at www.discountknives.com - he can be a bit slow getting back to you, but he's got me my last 4 knives [and Surefire light
smile.gif
]

You could look at www.tool-shop.com - no customs or VAT or postage as it is in the EU. They'd hit you about GBP55

Back