Which one is better? SwissTool or Super Tool?

Yeah, my boss was pretty amused! I like the solid feel of the Supertool. It's great when a nail sticks up and needs to be taught its place. I haven't used it to hammer nails fully, just when they stick up a little on a pallet or something like that. I've broken glass half inch thick and 3 inches wide with the handles frequently and it works great. I do need a hammer for the bigger stuff sometimes, but its much more fun with the Supertool! This past week, I used the screw drivers to move an air conditioner from one room to another where I work. I was on the roof and needed a screw driver, so I pull out the Supertool and go to work. The tips got a little stripped, but it was barely noticable and was probably because the screws were rusted and the screw heads were soft.

I carry the Supertool a lot. It has all the tools that I find useful and the locking mechanism doesn't bother me all that much, I have replaced the battery in my truck once using only the Supertool. I am going to have to invest in one of the bit kit things soon, get some with torx screws to tighten up my knives while I am away from the house.

------------------
Anybody seen the bactine, please?!?!?!?

Taz,
Sounds like you love your unique hammer hahahahaha. An innovative design by mistake if it was considered as a hammer wide-spread. Would sound quite interesting kekekeke.

Knife,
Tighten your knives? You can do that with rivets? Or is SuperTool's design different from the Swiss Army style?

Yeah, and the best part is that in college, i'm a hammer thrower! hehehehe

Taz,
Ehhh???? Waaaaaaa hammer thrower o_O; wow... No wonder why you can even make the impossible possible wahahaha. You're amazing ^_^ Never imagined multi-tools can be such efficient hammers. Man if I'm gonna buy a hammer I really gotta ask you someday. Wahahahaha. Anywayz enjoy using your SuperHammer!!
smile.gif
))

------------------
Unseen

Unseen, I was a little unclear on my post, sorry. I plan on using the torx bits to tighten/maintain my Benchmade knives while on-duty. They get a little loose from the flicking while I am sitting around waiting for calls. Later

------------------
Anybody seen the bactine, please?!?!?!?

I've been carrying my SwissTool constantly since I got my sheath from Gary Graley. Excellent fit, finish, and customer service. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Here's a link to a pic of my sheath:

http://home.sprintmail.com/~maddash/images/Sheath.jpg

My father-in-law is always giving me a hard time for having so much steel on me. Well, a few weeks ago we helped out an older lady move out of her apartment. She had no key for her storage closet out back. No problem. I just popped out the little prybar thingy and popped the door open in seconds. Next, we used the wire cutters to remove the wind chimes that she had tried to permenantly mount on the back porch. I used the Phillips head bit to remove about a dozen brackets holding full-length mirrors on two doors. Finally, we used the pliers (and a turquoise Photon) to remove the water supply line to the ice maker on the 'fridge.

The SwissTool was invaluable that night. Needless to say, my pop-in-law shut his mouth.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Kelly
home.sprintmail.com/~maddash
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

Taz,
Sorry for the late reply >_< Been busy these days. Sorry.
Wow... 50.2 meters. Amazing!! >< !! Well a guy like me wouldn't even be able to reach anywhere near half that wahahaha. Well I have never done anything impressive in my life like that ... wow. How old are you this year?
smile.gif
(just interested)

Senator,
Well my parents just laugh when I carry my Explorer around all the time. They thought it was pretty funny. It is always predictable that these things are going to be handy at times...kekekkee. But SwissTool is heavy, I guess that's why you father-in-law didn't find it that funny hahaha. Nice to hear you using your SwissTool around especially in front of your father-in-law. Kekekeke.

------------------
Unseen

Unseen, sorry for the loooong delay. I carry the Supertool and adaptor in a special codura pouch that Leatherman makes. It didn't come with the tool I had to buy it seperately. There is also room for en extension bit which is very handy. I've had no problems with rust. The one drawback to this system is the weight. It is extremely heavy. I've considered buying another adpator kit with the little plastic case that looks like a pager so I can more evenly distribute the weight. If you decide on the Swisstool but need different bits, Smith and Wesson makes a great little screwdriver kit called the Gun Pal that I picked up for about $12. It comes in a belt pouch and has a screwdriver handle and an assortment of bits. The bits are standard 1/4" so you can customize to your needs.

phantom4

------------------
who dares, wins

Unseen, I'll be 19 in August. And I've been busy too. I got to shovel mud for about 3 hours today and used my Supertool to hammer again!!!

Taz,
Hahahaha. Dunno why but it always sounds so cool when you speak of SuperTool as a hammer. Still amazed how SuperTool can last under such usage. Wow 19. Still in University? I'm 17 this year. Therefore I'm certainly not in Uni yet ...

I only have the Super Tool, but I'd say that for the similarities that exist between them why not buy American!!! I've seen the other too, even toured the factory while in Switzerland four weeks ago. It's damned nice too, but hey why not support the U.S.A. baby, yeeaahh.

------------------
Professor

Yes, Im going to be a soph in college this fall. I'm a criminal justice major. What are you thinking of majoring in?

I am also looking for a duty multitool, but I am leaning towards the Swisstool and the Powerlock.

thoughts? opinions?

pat

I've carried my SwissTool daily for several months now. However, after hearing so many good things about the Super Tool, I purchased one a few weeks ago. I was sorely disappointed. IMHO, it didn't even come close to the SwissTool in any major area.

The fit and finish of the SwissTool is superior. The locking mechanism of the SwissTool far exceeds that of the Leatherman. On the SwissTool, you simply pull down the locking lever and close whatever blade/tool you've chosen. With the Leatherman, you must open another blade/tool in order to close the one you had open in the first place. Especially when using the knife blades, this can pose a real danger.

Also, the "Leatherman way" of tool clumping when opening a tool is extremely irritating, as is the fact that you have to open the pliers to access all of the tools.

While there are a few features that the Super Tool excelled at (better file, squared-off screwdriver bits, tool adapter kit), none of them would sway me away from the SwissTool. Of course, YMMV.

------------------
Kelly
home.sprintmail.com/~maddash
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

[This message has been edited by Senator (edited 23 June 1999).]

The Swisstool is made with Swiss quality. More attention is paid to being user friendly and safe than the supertool. Functions are more are less the same.

Taz,
Your course sounds complicated... My simplistic brain will not be able to cope with it. Guess simple jobs are even hard for me... >< Anywayz good luck with your course!
smile.gif

1c609,
Sorry I don't know much about Powerlock. I was concerntrating more on Leatherman and Victorinox products. However there are articles you can find about SwissTool. Go to the sites given by CD Fleischer, there are specific information on multi-tools.

Senator,
Oh... I never thought that disengaging the lock on SuperTool blade could be dangerous. But I can imagine that now. Well there are some innovative designs on SwissTool that enhance Leatherman designs. Guess the lock system and no-clumping feature are some of them.

Hey guess what ^_^
I ordered SwissTool Plus last week and it had arrived. I went to the shop and got it. I am so happy with it ^_^

Back