Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S&W Model 629 .44

• Ruger New Vaquero .357

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JK Knives

Next week we are going to my inlaws farm in Southern Illinois, for a couple of days. As I usually do, I will be spending time wandering around in the woods, (about half of the 225 acres is wooded), and am not sure which to take with me. Normally I just take my old Ruger Single Six .22, but my father in law says there has been a lot of coyotes around lately, some have been taken that have had rabies. I`ll also be taking my heavy barrel Remington 700 in .223 in case we decide to do an actual hunt for them.

10hkkzn.jpg

I like the looks of that Ruger. I'm sure it would do the job if needed. Also, single action is really cool.

I'd probably shy away from bringing the .44. The first pistol I ever fired was a Ruger Super Blackhawk that definitely left an impression on the web of my hand.

Yet another for the Ruger. I love .357s in that they allow the use of either .38 sp or .357 mag ammo. Alot of versatility. And I love the aesthetics of a SA revolver.

Another vote for the Ruger. Solid gun that won't fail you when it counts, and the .357 round will kill coyotes and just about anything else you could run into in Illinios.

My vote is for the Model 15. If it is like all the older S&Ws I've shot it can't be beat for smoothness or accuracy.

Single actions, and woods, go together, like beans, and corn bread.:D

I would say the Ruger but I am a slave to adjustable sights. I had a really nice Model 15 but i gave it to my little brother one year for Xmas. The plus side is that I still get to shoot it. As long as I reload the shells.;)

I would go with one of the S&W's for defensive purposes. They have easy to see adjustable sights. They are also double action.

Me personally I would take the 629 and load it up with .44 Specials or not too hot .44 mags. PUNCH a big hole in 'em.

While I like the Ruger, this would be my last choice for a hunting/defensive gun. GREAT for fun though!

Tom

My normal house load for the 629 is Winchester .44 Special Silver Tips, which it shoots well. I`m a big fan of the Blazer 200 grain .44 magnum for outdoors.

I've got a 4" 629 that loves hard cast bullets in .44 special cases and light loaded 180 gr. JHP in .44 mag brass.

Back