Which One?

I've decided to buy my 1st axe. I already own an Estwing hatchet that I purchased back when I was a scout master. Then I inherited my grandpa's Plumb hatchet a couple of years ago. I know how to use these and keep them sharp.

Now it's time to upgrade to something bigger. I'm not ready to spend the a lot of $$ buying a GB, Wetterling, or Snow and Neally. So I'm considering the Estwing camp axe, a Fiskers or Gerber. I'm wondering which is the preferred sub $50 axe? If you like the Fiskers / Gerber, please let me know which model.

One of the local hardware stores is having a 25% off on Fiskers this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

I have a Estwing camp axe. Takes a beating and holds up although I prefer something with a wood handle. But for the money you cant loose.

I have a Fiskers chopping axe with a 23.5" handle. I think it works great. It came from the factory really sharp and has stayed that way for about two years with only minor touch ups on the blade. I don't use it everyday or anything but when I do it's on oak and pine and I'm really happy with it. It's really light too and the plastic handle does a good job of taking the sting out. I was worried that there would be alot of flex but the handle is short enough that it's not a problem. The Gerbers are made by Fiskers but they don't have the orange coating on the handle. The coating helps alot with grip, I have a Gerber hatchet that is all black and it's a bit slippy. The Fiskars branded ones seem to be cheaper to.

Back