Which Small Utiliy Fix Blade?

For the harder use, Fix Blade better than Fold. For carry, Fold better than Fix Blade. I think in the middle is Small Utiliy Fix Blade (Blade length < 4 inch). After filtering Internet, I found under knives. They are different in Price ($50-$250), Carrying system, Blade material.

Who can help me to review them?

BENCHMADE NIMRAVUS CUB (M2)

Buck Big Sky (420HC)

CAMILLUS TALON (TALONITE)

CHRIS REEVE SHADOW IV (A2)

fallkniven F1 (VG10)

SPFB02 Spyderco Bill Moran Feather Weight Fixed Blade Drop Point Skinner (VG10)

[This message has been edited by Wenhong (edited 01-14-2001).]

The reviews are here, all you have to do is search for them and read. My pick out of those would go to the Fällkniven, I have a couple of their blades and they are wonderful knives. I have heard praise for most of the others also, but I doubt you will beat the performance of the Fällkniven for the price.

I'd shy away from the Buck thing, that steel tends to suck...bad. At least when you compare it to the others you have up there, it wouldn't be half the knife it's nearest competitor would be.

I agree with tique wholeheartedly. Stay away from the Buck, go with the Fallkniven or Spyderco Moran.

I have several of all three makers. The Fallkniven is simply the best buy listed, IMHO.

The Fallknivens and Spydercos are made from premium VG-10 steel. While the Spyderco is lighter, the Fallkniven has a true full tang construction. The Spyderco's handle fits my hand perfectly, but there is no finger guard, so any type of stabbing is pretty much out for me. The blade on the Spyderco is thinner, at 1/8th ", which for me, gives it an advantage in field dressing game. However, all things considered, when I go afield, my fixed blade must be capable of performing any task demanded, up to and including being a key survival implement. Advantage - Fallkniven - It can do anything I ask of it.

I just got a Fallkniven S1 and I really really like it. The blade is really thick and heavy, but it is more of a "nice" heavy, if you get my meaning. I love VG-10 steel. This is my second knife in VG-10 (the other's a Spyderco Calypso Jr. lightweight) and both knives are super easy to sharpen and take a great edge. I am very pleased with both. So, get a Fallkniven S1 and a Spyderco Calypso Jr. lightweight while you're at it!!

--Matt

Also in that price range, you may want to check out some customs, like Bob Dozier's knives, Darrel Ralph's ArcLite (just look down the page for Steve Harvey's review). GenO Denning's site just came up a day or so ago, too.
www.dozierknives.com
www.darrelralph.com
www.cavemanengineering.com

Searching this forum, with the name of the knife as the subject should yield reviews of most, if not all, of the knives on your list. Also, Buck, Camillus, Chris Reeve Knives, and Spyderco all have forums on this site (under Makers/Manufacturers).
Choices, don't you love 'em?

For small utility fixed blades I suggest Scandinavian knives, try
www.puukko.com
Consider the Wootz forged carbon steel
Blade: Roselli wootz steel with attractive surface patterns. Carbon content 1,5-2 %. Hardness HRC 64 - 66.
The UHC series also is great. Sharpest knives you can imagine and holds the edge better than any other knives i have tried.
The handles fit also big hands.
These are not for chopping and they are not stainless. If you want stainless I second the Fällknivens...

Martin

Superior Quality for an economical price the Fallknivens are your best choice..
VG-10 holds a good edge and is a excellent all around performer..

The CRK's are absolutely excellent in all respects..

Take Care..

------------------
Murray Haday
ProEdge Knives
www.proedgeknives.com
Tel: 905 328 8212

[This message has been edited by ProEdge (edited 01-15-2001).]

Wenhong, try a Camillus CQB2 or a Bob Dozier Arkansas Toothpick. Both are very sweet knives, and handle extremely well. On the CQB2, however, I took the clip off of an Uncle Mike's holster and taped it on for IWB carry without a belt. Try 'em, they're sweet!!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
"He who is wise in the ways of the sword will survive...he who is wise in avoiding conflict is truly wise...and he who is wise in the ways of both is blessed." -me

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wenhong:
....I think in the middle is Small Utiliy Fix Blade.... After filtering Internet, I found under knives. ...

Who can help me to review them?

BENCHMADE NIMRAVUS CUB (M2)

Buck Big Sky (420HC)

CAMILLUS TALON (TALONITE)

CHRIS REEVE SHADOW IV (A2)

fallkniven F1 (VG10)

SPFB02 Spyderco Bill Moran Feather Weight Fixed Blade Drop Point Skinner (VG10)
</font>

Well, as usual, this topic begs the question, "What are you going to do with it?" If you are looking for a nice fixed blade that will hold an excellent edge for the longest time on the widest range of materials (but not metals or heaven forbid any stone or masonry), the Talonite Talon is going to be it. I have one, and Talonite is as good as they say. Unless you nick something like stone or metal; in that case, the fairly thin edge of the Talon is going to roll, for sure. Mine did.

If you are looking for a good hard steel blade that will hold up to just about anything you throw at it, including soft metals (aluminum and brass), then the Nimravus Cub in M2. I have it and have used it to whittle down aluminum posts that I use in making kydex sheaths, and the edge held. Also works excellently on long sessions of cutting up cardboard (the Talon does, too, BTW).

If you want probably 95%+ of the performance of the M2 Cub, with the addition of stain resistance, then either of the VG10 blades will do great. I have read of at least one instance where the VG10 held up better than a carbon blade of similar design (Falkniven F1 vs. Cold Steel of similar shape (can't remember the model)), while skinning bear, I do believe. I don't have any Fallkniven products, but I do have a Spydie Moran, and it is GOOD.

I don't have ANY experience, really, with A2. I only have one blade in it; it is a custom that I haven't really put through its paces (yet).

I wouldn't sell the Buck totally short. Many, MANY people use 420HC in Buck and other knives every day and are very satisfied with it. It is not a good steel. To say it "sucks" is a little stronger than I would go. Of those choices above, it would probably be my last choice. But, part of that would proably go with the design (the Big Sky just doesn't do anything for me; with the 420HC used as blade steel, it drops right off my list of knives to desire).

Me personally, of the knives above, I'd probably go with the Talon. Mine works GREAT for me.

------------------
I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts. -- John Steinbeck

iktomi

Wenhong: I think you are making reference to the wrong Chris Reeve knife.

The Shadow IV has a blade length of 5.5"

The Shadow III is the 4" blade.

I have a Shadow III, and you absolutely will not find a better fixed blade style than Chris Reeve's one piece.

jayharley is correct; the Shadow IV is 5.5 and the Shadow III is 4 inches. He is also correct about the Chris Reeve One Piece Range. I have the Shadow IV and find it to be one heck of a knife - in design, materials and execution. In the 4 inch, I have the Aviator and find it to be a very useful sized, well made knife. If you get a Chris Reeve One Piece, IMO, (and that of many others) you are getting the best available without glitz and glitter.

I also have a Fallkniven (A1) and find their knives to be excellant value for the money.

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited 01-18-2001).]

Don't forget that 1SKS is getting some Camillus Talons in 154-CM that are going to sell for $99. A great knife at a more affordable price than talonite.

I will also wholeheartedly recommend the Spyderco Moran and anything from Fallkniven.

------------------
Dennis Bible

mylogosmall.gif

Forget the production knives. Tom Mayo and Neil Blackwood both make a nice fixed blade in that size. I have a Mayo in Talonite and a Blackwwood in Stellite. Both blades are keepers. My Fallkniven, Benchmade Nimravus and CRK shadow all sit in the safe. (Let me know if you want them!!)

Mayo Talonite Boot Knife:
View

Blackwood Stellite Sm. Tac/ Utility:
View

http://www.mayoknives.com

http://blackwoodknives.com

You will not regret any knife purchased from either of these gentlemen...

Michael

------------------
He who has smelt the smoke is never free again...

Why thanks Michael!
The vote of confidence is very much appreciated. The Small Tac/Utility is also available in A2, D2, Micarta and Kydex at a lower price point. The same handle treatment is also availble on the Small Hunter version. This knife has a flatter grind to the top of the spine without the false edge.
Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Knives in STOCK!! I just updated my website, PLEASE take a look :)

blackwoodknives.com

Wenhong-Welcome to the forums.I think you have some great suggestions here.For hard use you can e-mail Andy Prisco at andyprisco@att.net.He can get you a Busse,the're rock solid.For something that combines utility with great looks,i second the Neil Blackwood suggestions.
Let us know what you decide.
Sky

Back