Which Spydie has best ergonomics?

Which Spydie has the best ergonomics? What I mean is which one has the most comfortable feel when using for many types of cutting (food, meat, rope, military webbing, straps, wood, etc.) for hours at a time? This could be just a comfortable handle, the balance of the knife, the general 'feel', or whatever your own criteria. State your criteria and let me know which is the 'most comfortable'.

Thanks!

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

The Wegner for sure. Do a search for Wegner here on the forums and you will see alot of comments about how good it feels.

------------------
-Dennis

The best Spyderco ergonomically speaking is the Military. Although it is too big for my daily carry, I believe that its large handle allows anybody to find a comfort zone in holding it.

The Tim Wegner JR (or senior), followed by the Calypso.
I've used the Wegner JR for dressing out deer.
Last season, I did 3 in one afternoon.
No fatigue at all,and the Wegner is an excellent skinner. I had both JR and SR available, but preferred the JR.
Bill

I prefer the G10 Police, I have used mine extensively and prefer this model to all the other Spydies that I own. I have a Military and Starmate and the Police is my daily carry. I must confess that with all the positive comments on the Wenger I will look at them more closely.

------------------
Dale Richmond
AKTI Membership Pending

Hmmm, I would think for hours of cutting comfort it would be the fixed blade, more so than any of the folders.

I have the Wegner and Military and it's almost a tossup but, I'd go with the Wegner. Both are great knives made to USE.

I agree- Calypson Jr. Mine is steel, but it would be perfect with G-10 for that no-slip grip.

It feels like it is a part of your hand.

Wegner.

------------------
Paranoia is only smart thinking
when everyone is out to get you.

Wegner ( full size ) it just fits my hand better.

------------------
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown.
BUT,...it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm
and smack them upside the head. :)

I would have to vote for the Wegner full sized, or the JR. The Wegner's are my favorite all around. The Calypso Jr is another sweet one for the 3" range. I like the 3" for all purpose daily uses.

You do have good tastes, and narrowed it down to SPYDERCO
smile.gif
. Lots of nice models - you can' go wrong with ANY one IMHO.

Ray 'md2020'

My vote goes to the Native. The ergonomics of the Wegners are superb but I find the Jr. a little too small for my hand. The position of the thumb rest, combined with the large finger cut-out force the knife too far forward so that there is no handle left for my pinkie to grip. The large Wegner fills my hand much better but is just to big and heavy for my daily carry.

The Native OTOH feels like an extension of my hand. When I choke up on the blade, I can get a solid grip on the handle with all my fingers. The various ways this handle can be held remind me of Tim Wegner's thoughts on the design of his handle except the Native also has the added advantage of the choil.

Just my AUS$0.0307125 (today's exchange rate)
smile.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

I like the Wegner Jr. followed by the Calyspo Micarta. I just received a Calyspo Jr. Liteweight From Chai Cutlery and it feels really good also. I like the bidirectional fish scale like design. It feels like it would be a good nonslip handle when wet.

I definately like the Wegner and the Military for their ergonomics.
The Wegner edges out the Military by just a little though, it is "rounder" and has more graceful curves to the touch.
But, OTOH, the Military has a "fuller" feel in the hand, probably because of the larger overall handle.
Drat! I thought this was going to be easy, but as I handle both it's getting harder to decide which I like better and for what reasons!
DOAH!!
I like them both equally!
I can't decide which is better!GAACCKK!!

[This message has been edited by misque (edited 26 September 1999).]

Wegner. And of late perhaps the Calypso, Jr., thanks to Michelle and Sal.
wink.gif
(Ahhgg, but for those smooth micarta scales!)

L8r,
Nakano

[This message has been edited by Nakano 2 (edited 27 September 1999).]

Thanks for all of the opinions! I love the shape of the Wegner (the jr. may be too small for me, as I have large hands), and have always admired the Calypso Jr. And the Native looks really easy and comfortable to use. Definitely have to get one of each, and the large Native if/when it becomes available.

Right now, I'm in the midst of purchasing my first Spyderco, (don't throw things at me all at once!
redface.gif
), the Military! It should be here tomorrow, and I can almost taste it!
smile.gif
But I know it won't be my last, but rather the first of many!
smile.gif

------------------
Cutting through all the muck,
we get to what's really important.

John 3:3-7

God Bless You!

Native.

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Hey Rich!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

May you be blessed with many more (knives) to come!
smile.gif
lol...
smile.gif

Dan

Seems lost among all the new models, but the Wayne Goddard model. Personally I like the full size one.

------------------
~ JerryO ~

Back