Which to Buy: Nimravis or Shadow III

AKY

I want a small fixed blade. The unknown Nimravis won't be out for a while, but it's cheaper than the Reeve Shadow III (more than double the price for the BM). Should I wait? Is the 4 inch Shadow that good of a knife?

Opinions please!

Tony

The question is....

What are you going to be using it for???

MDP

------------------
Marion David Poff fka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock, Benchmade Axis(BT2, M2 and M2 Axis AFCK), Pinnacle(BT2 and M2) and the REKAT NEW KNIVES.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Marion David Poff,

Just a minor point, huh? I'm thinking I will use the knife for hiking or any chore that my Recon Scout would be too big for, yet would need the strength of a fixed blade. These are two knives that appealed to me regarding style and reputation (Reeve and BM). I'm kinda leaning toward the Shadow because of brute strength. I know some might think the Reeve is too heavy for packing. I'm not too worried because I don't carry that much weight, anyway. It's not going to be a pack knife only.

Here's another question. How thick is the blade of the Shadow. How fine is the edge. My guess is the Nim is thinner, thus a finer edge. I got that much from Dexter on one of the other forums. OK, I admit it. I posted this question on several forums. I wanted the best coverage.

Whatever info anyone can provide would be helpful.

Thanks,
Tony

Well, if this is going to be a utility knife, then the law of diminishing returns would compel you to buy the Nimravus.

But, if the Reeve is callin' ya?????

Or, BUY BOTH.

------------------
Marion David Poff fka Eye mdpoff@hotmail.com

Patiently waiting for the Spyderco SpydeRench, Lum Chinese Chopper Folder, Rolling Lock, Benchmade M2 Axis, M2 Axis AFCK, M2 Pinnacle and the REKAT NEW KNIVES.

"The victorious Warrior wins first and then goes to war, while the defeated Warrior goes to war and then seeks to win" Sun-Tzu

Tony,

I am not sure if it will suit your purpose but, on the advice of several of the regulars here, I just received a Spyderco Moran. I am so impressed. The handle is very ergonomic, the blade is thin with plenty of belly and a beautiful finish, and the sheath is a work of art. If you are also carrying a larger knife it may be what you want. Best of all, there are some great prices on the net at the moment. I got mine from the <a href="http://www.littleriver.datasys.net/index.html">Little River Trading Company</a>.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Clay

Clay,
Glad to see that you're pleased with the Spydie Moran. No question that it IS THE value-performance SLEEPER of the year!
AKY, heed Clay's advice and check out this small wonder!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. I have ordered the Shadow III from Greg at Skyland's. He was very helpful, with outstanding customer service. Check him out at www.skylandscutlery.com.

I have seen the Spydie Moran and it wasn't my style. I decided on the Shadow III based on strength, reputation and cool factor (MHO). I'm also curious about A2 steel. I wouldn't doubt I end up with a Nimravis sometime down the road.

Thanks again, everyone.

TTFN,
Tony

[This message has been edited by AKY (edited 23 November 1998).]

Back