Whipping out the KaBar at work......

I'm kinda hopping in this conversation a little late, but I don't understand why anyone would be threatened by a knife, like what do they use in the kitchen?!

Wait I'm preaching to the choir. ignore me

People like that make me want to carry a Cold Steel X2 Voyager. I carried one with me when going to visit my friend (police chief, he was a customer then) and when I pulled it to show him, he about wet his pants. I love the reaction of people when something like that is deployed. Since I really shouldn't carry that and got looked at funny in a restaurant when I pulled my SOG trident folder to cut a straw for my daughter, I started to carry a small socially acceptable folder (when I remember it). Now I have a gerber paraframe (mini) attached to my money clip so I have something tiny. Normally my go to is a Boker trance and SOG trident folder. Looking for a good EDC fixed blade. Ordered the Ontario MK1 navy knife to try out. Just my input. Thanks.

Jason

I'm kinda hopping in this conversation a little late, but I don't understand why anyone would be threatened by a knife, like what do they use in the kitchen?!

I read that studies have shown that people are more afraid of knives than guns because of the thought of what they can do. Most people have never been shot, so they don't know what it feels like, however at one point in their lives, most everyone has been cut. They know how bad it hurts. They are more afraid of what they know. Also, most people think of a gun and think a quick death, but with knife people think it's going to be drawn out and painful. It also said many rape victims that were held at gun point, screamed, at knife point, did not.

Good point, Jarod. As I walked out the door this morning, my mom, who is visiting for a month, made a comment about how did I look with my "weapon". i had an OKC Bush Ranger rd7 at the hip. Mom's been here for 2 weeks and I've been "educating" her about the world's oldest tool, so now she just watches as I do something or another with the knives (yesterday she had a critical eye and gave pointers for my first ever kydex sheath, lol). The "weapon" comment was unexpected, so I stopped and reminded her that the only person I have ever hurt with a knife is myself, not on purpose of course. She seemed ok with it and said "blame it on the Rambo movies".

Everyday, I have at least 3 blades on me, as I use knives eveydat at work. My co-workers are used to seeing me with a "flavor of the month" big fixed at my hip, as I am the go-to guy to sharpen their knives. But, like it's been said here, if I need to cut something up out of work, I use either the folder on my pocket or the simple sak (one blade, one flat screwdriver/bottle opener), never the fixed. Sheeple are sheeple and it's a slow going educational process.

Being deployed I carry more blades than usual. I carry a BK2 on my hip, BK11or 14 in pocket, CRKT Folder, and a Gerber Multitool in ankle pocket. In my ruck I have a BK9. My co-workers call me crazy, except when they need to cut something...

nah, my coworkers are cool about it. They are used to it after me doing that for years. So now, whatever knife I have on me, I take it out and place it on the desk. They usually come over, handle it and comment. So far, the orange g10 on the okc is being a crowd fav.

I read that studies have shown that people are more afraid of knives than guns because of the thought of what they can do. Most people have never been shot, so they don't know what it feels like, however at one point in their lives, most everyone has been cut. They know how bad it hurts. They are more afraid of what they know. Also, most people think of a gun and think a quick death, but with knife people think it's going to be drawn out and painful. It also said many rape victims that were held at gun point, screamed, at knife point, did not.

yes, exactly. a lot of people have never SEEN a gun in person, let alone had one pointed at their head. they do not have the visceral component lurking in their lizard brain ready to pump those fear drugs. they will likely never shoot a gun, and only see a gun used at a distance if they are lucky... barring of course, the growing segment of the population interested in target shooting/etc - but even there... in the ideal world, most of these people will never be SHOT. BANG == fun, like fireworks. not pain. not blood. not body ripping devastation. there's no way to grasp this, so how can you be AFRAID?

now, knives... we don't live in a paperless society. we get papercuts, and slices from plastic, and quite a bit more. we know it hurts usually, and leaves a scar sometimes we keep looking at. there's the blood. some people, even folx you'd assume were rather tough about it, hate blood. it makes them sick to look at. a teeny tiny cut in the woods, and they're all like "oh noes! end of the world! omg!" they freak out about mosquitoes and a rose thorn. this of course leads to FEAR about a number of things. the movies don't help.

Being deployed I carry more blades than usual. I carry a BK2 on my hip, BK11or 14 in pocket, CRKT Folder, and a Gerber Multitool in ankle pocket. In my ruck I have a BK9. My co-workers call me crazy, except when they need to cut something...

yeah, funny how that works. i'm the guy with a lot of pointy things. knives, axes, tools... which everyone considers "weird". i was actually asked the other week, if the muscles in my arm were "real". what? another guy said "well, what? are you thinking somehow these are fake muscles? he chops wood! he hits things with a sledge hammer" crickets. plus, when i am chopping wood, i often get asked "why are you doing that?", like, i'm being made to. fun? yeah? they don't get it. which leads to they don't get why i would own an axe. their world view you see. so ... tiny? so, why would you have a knife outside of the kitchen? "OMG! THAT MAN HAS A KNIFE". yeah, so? course, suddenly when you need a rope cut, or marshmallow sticks made for the kids for the fire that i provided wood for, i'm the handiest guy ever. go figure.

generally speaking, the sheeple are a huge pain in the ***, but we can educate them, albeit slowly, if not surely... just looking at the laws lately, and knife rights and such, i think we're winning :)

plus, when i am chopping wood, i often get asked "why are you doing that?", like, i'm being made to. fun? yeah? they don't get it. which leads to they don't get why i would own an axe.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am asked all the time why I chop or baton wood. I usually answer "To make fire". Then they ask why don't I just buy it already cut. I ask them why do people make homemade cookies or brew their own beer. Its called fun. Entertainment. It makes me happy.

I am not a huge fan of humans.

I've generally carry a 3" blade folder, but I'm very careful about opening it when in view of people that don't know me. I try to block anyone else's view if I can. If I have to, I'll open it slowly using two hands. If someone asks for a knife, I'll volunteer to cut whatever they need cutting using my "small pocket knife". I've never shocked anyone by using a knife in this way.

I do like the Kershaw Skyline as it's small and relatively non-aggressive looking.

I unloaded my pack before I went to work yesterday, FINALLY! In my pack I had; BK2, BK10, T.H. River Knife, BRT Sinister II chopper, the Esky and my Benchmade Stryker. I took all but the Esky and my river knife out. I took the Crewman in tonight just to sand the handle. I catch crap all the time about the steel I carry, but I really don't care. I really didn't mean too, they just accumulated over the last week.

My buddy Steve acted kinda weird to a knife once, oh about 30 years ago or so. Seems he had a negative reaction to my spiking a switch blade into his foot. Took a few seconds to register though, due to the alcohol.

If I get caught with any blade other than a safety box cutter by my regional manager I am to be fired on the spot along with any other employee doing so...And we even sell knives big folders like smith and wesson and other cheapies.And what gets me about it is I'm sure some idiot tried to cut a box full of expensive stuff with a short sword or somthing destroyed it or cut himself or someone playing with it got the company sued or had to miss work and BAM new policy no knives at work.There's always some idiot that will mess up things for everybody because their and idiot.

I work at a certain coffee shop that sounds like tar-shmucks, in a BC area filled with over indulgent wrinkled sheeple. I generally have a Spyderco Tenacious in my pocket, and a Spyderco grasshopper in my apron. In 4 years of carrying my Tenacious, I have had 1 bad reaction to it. It was when I flicked it open using wrist action only. After the bad reaction, I stopped opening it "loudly" and started to use two hands in public. I think that opening any knife in what can be seen as an aggressive manner in public is silly, and will actually just re-enforce public opinion that knives are dangerous, scary and bad.

When I first started carrying a blade, my manager asked me "why do you have that weapon in your pocket?" I said, "What weapon?" "Your knife". I explained to her it was a tool for opening boxes, it allows me to be more efficient in my job as I didn't have to search the store for the one dull box cutter that moves from place to place. I have also used it to cut apples, pears, and other fruit in plain view of the public on my patio. The only comments I ever get are "wow, cool knife."

I stand by the opinion that if a knife-nut gets a lot of poor reactions to their knives, they are doing something wrong. Then again, I don't walk around with a fixed blade or something that screams tactical.

Tim

Last edited:
I've run into the same situation with people. I now carry a medium sized slipjoint folder with me, and my big folder stays clipped, by it's deep-carry, foldover, shortened clip, in my right pocket, unseen. I've only had one or two people to react to my slipjoint in a negative way. I just couldn't imagine how those would have reacted if I had used my large folder, currently a ZT0200!:eek::)

And since this is a Kabar forum, and I have not mentioned a Kabar, I will. I am shortly going to place my order for one of the Limited Phat Bob's with the D2 steel, and the black micarta handles.:thumbup::thumbup::)

I've run into the same situation with people. I now carry a medium sized slipjoint folder with me, and my big folder stays clipped, by it's deep-carry, foldover, shortened clip, in my right pocket, unseen. I've only had one or two people to react to my slipjoint in a negative way. I just couldn't imagine how those would have reacted if I had used my large folder, currently a ZT0200!:eek::)

And since this is a Kabar forum, and I have not mentioned a Kabar, I will. I am shortly going to place my order for one of the Limited Phat Bob's with the D2 steel, and the black micarta handles.:thumbup::thumbup::)

Good call cutter, I'm gonna get me a couple too. :D

Moose

I work at a certain coffee shop that sounds like tar-shmucks, in a BC area filled with over indulgent wrinkled sheeple. I generally have a Spyderco Tenacious in my pocket, and a Spyderco grasshopper in my apron. In 4 years of carrying my Tenacious, I have had 1 bad reaction to it. It was when I flicked it open using wrist action only. After the bad reaction, I stopped opening it "loudly" and started to use two hands in public. I think that opening any knife in what can be seen as an aggressive manner in public is silly, and will actually just re-enforce public opinion that knives are dangerous, scary and bad.

When I first started carrying a blade, my manager asked me "why do you have that weapon in your pocket?" I said, "What weapon?" "Your knife". I explained to her it was a tool for opening boxes, it allows me to be more efficient in my job as I didn't have to search the store for the one dull box cutter that moves from place to place. I have also used it to cut apples, pears, and other fruit in plain view of the public on my patio. The only comments I ever get are "wow, cool knife."

I stand by the opinion that if a knife-nut gets a lot of poor reactions to their knives, they are doing something wrong. Then again, I don't walk around with a fixed blade or something that screams tactical.

Tim

I may or may not work for the same company, and carry for the same reasons. Damn box cutters are dangerous - dull as a rock, simple slide mechanism, and a small slick stainless "handle". I've had 2 supervisors cut themselves with these and have to go to the ER for stitches. The only time I got a bad reaction was opening and moving boxes in our side room. I was asked to come out to reach something (I'm 6' 4" and seem to be the first choice for all of these activities). I had left my Gayle Bradley opened sitting on top of a box as I was moving quickly in response. Hey, it was my new knife at the time. I usually carry a mini-grip or delica on the job.

A female co worker came back to grab something, picked it up, looked at me and said "what is this?". I replied, "my box cutter". She, half jokingly, quipped "it looks more like an instrument of death!". Although she did share a very serious expression while saying this....

I bounced this story off of a few co-workers who all rolled their eyes with a 'of course she would be that ignorant to say that' sentiment. I have never had any issues otherwise. I carry a SAK for most duties but have been carrying my new DLC Millie for a few days. Mostly to spend time with it, I have yet to deploy it on the job. I agree that it's all about using tact with knives. The handful of times I've lent out my Delica on the job nothing but praise followed ~

I always carry two knives:

Options:
1. Vic Cadet or Tinker and Syperdo Endura
2. Vic Cadet or Tinker and Kershaw OD-1
3. Vic Cadet or Tinker and Kershaw Blur
4. Vic Cadet or Tinker and Buck 110

And just recently due to gift:
5. Vic Cadet or Tinker, Ka-Bar Piggyback Folder

You'll note that the SAK is the common denominator in my collection of EDC's, just too useful. I have a bunch of fixed blades and machetes but don't EDC. They are used around the house (lots of woods and trees) to prune and chop.

Back