White Micarta handles ?

Remember seeing a message regarding a customer wanting bone handles on a blade and Andrew suggested using white micarta as an alternative . Has anyone ordered a khukuri or knife with white micarta handle and if so could you post photos please .

Hey there! We've had very few orders for white micarta but we do have the capability. Here's a photo from a knife that's currently under development in white canvas micarta. As you can see it's got a nice gently grippy texture but doesn't look too bonelike. We should be able to make paper micarta as a bone replacement but haven't tried yet.
white handle micarta-min.JPG

Reactions: HJA
White looks really pretty, when it's clean. Between the natural oils in the hands and getting dirty through normal use, I'd rather have something darker to start with - I do like "natural" (tan) canvas micarta, it darkens to a light to medium brown - at least it has on my folding knives and ESEE fixed blades. As far as paper micarta goes: I'm sure it's a closer visual match for bone but given the choice, I'd rather have the added texture of canvas for a more secure grip, especially on a hard working blade.

For a ceremonial blade, white micarta would definitely make a beautiful package.

edit: I just noticed the non-traditional Cho, now I'm really curious what this blade is going to look like. I was also curious how well micarta wrap would work on handles without metal butt plates, now I know - it looks great.

Last edited:
I would agree with Crusty_ Otter that white micarta on a ceremonial khukuri would look amazing especially paired with Brass hardware . If I am correct in saying some bridegrooms carry a ceremonial khukuri in their sash at local weddings in Nepal and India ? Is it worth making this an addition to the Kailash lineup ? Even the smaller MSI style khukuri ( chakmak and karda ) with white micarta handle , brass hardware , held in a brown salyani scabbard would make a great collectors piece ? Could it be a consideration Andrew ?

White looks really pretty, when it's clean. Between the natural oils in the hands and getting dirty through normal use, I'd rather have something darker to start with - I do like "natural" (tan) canvas micarta, it darkens to a light to medium brown - at least it has on my folding knives and ESEE fixed blades. As far as paper micarta goes: I'm sure it's a closer visual match for bone but given the choice, I'd rather have the added texture of canvas for a more secure grip, especially on a hard working blade.

For a ceremonial blade, white micarta would definitely make a beautiful package.

edit: I just noticed the non-traditional Cho, now I'm really curious what this blade is going to look like. I was also curious how well micarta wrap would work on handles without metal butt plates, now I know - it looks great.
Agreed again CO regarding the handle without the butt plate , it does look effective but in my opinion with a thin brass butt plate I think it would look classy !

Yep- this knife is going to remain a mystery for the next little while. However we'll be sharing it at some point soon.
You're correct that khukuris (and even tulwar) are sometimes worn as part of nepalese formalwear. These blades aren't a specific pattern though and are just highly polished and ornamental blades. Something along these lines could definitely be ordered from us already though there are more ornate blades available with worse steel and geometry for much cheaper in the local markets. It wouldn't make sense for us to try and compete with these less functional pieces.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

Hey there! We've had very few orders for white micarta but we do have the capability. Here's a photo from a knife that's currently under development in white canvas micarta. As you can see it's got a nice gently grippy texture but doesn't look too bonelike. We should be able to make paper micarta as a bone replacement but haven't tried yet.
View attachment 2542088
I dont suppose by any chance you can also make a light tan / brown micarta wrap ?

We can do a nice chocolatey brown. When unoiled it's a lighter colour. We don't have tan thouhg- desert would be closest. We can also do hessian.

We can do a nice chocolatey brown. When unoiled it's a lighter colour. We don't have tan thouhg- desert would be closest. We can also do hessian.
I had to look that up - and I was a Fine Arts major in college LOL.
If what I found is correct, hessian is a light beige, like unbleached linen? I like that shade on folding knives but honestly, I think I prefer how my Forest Camo turned out - even better than the (dry?) chocolate brown you recently posted (in the "Micarta Options" thread). The brown looks great oiled, but dry it's much lighter than I expected it would be.
Jack

Last edited:
Only the one in the facebook post linked. We've made one more but it's on a prorotype currently that isn't ready to be photographed.

Back