Who designed the Kalinga?

My recall is slipping away as i age but isn’t Buck doing a special production run of the Akonua this year?
Bob

My recall is slipping away as i age but isn’t Buck doing a special production run of the Akonua this year?
Bob

Yes, a Legacy Collection knife. It will be available all year.

"The new Buck 402 Legacy Collection 2024 Akonua features a 4.75in CPM-S35VN stainless steel plain upswept skinner blade with a satin finish. This full tang fixed blade has black burlap Micarta handles with double nickel silver pins and a thumb guard. It's 10.12in closed and weighs 8.75oz. It includes a black leather sheath with a belt loop and it’s made in the USA"

I just looked and didn’t see anything. Not sure where i read it so might have just been a dream.
Like the 112 i think a down scaled Kalinga would be cool. But i know Buck has produced some beachin knives in the last 10 years that evoke similar cool/badass looks. Ie. 694 now 664 and variants the 113 fixed and i’m sure some that slip my mind.

Last edited:
Ok where do i find that as i searched buck and it doesn’t come up? Is it at another exclusive dealer?
I found a couple places they will be but at $449 it will be a hard pass for me. I’ll continue to enjoy my 401 Kalinga my Kalinga Pro and my Kalinga Folder all together costing at or less than this 402 lol. It’s just the way i roll.

Last edited:
Howdy y'all! I bought a Kalinga back in 1974 (I think). It says Buck Kalinga USA. Shortly after the sheath took a 90' dive from the crosstrees to Davy Jones's locker. I have no idea what I was doing 90' up from the oak deck with an unsheathed Kalinga. ha! But hey I was 19, what do you expect? ha! You do not want to drop a Kalinga, it'll take your damn leg off! Once while splitting firewood for a soak in my cast iron hot tub slipped & severed my thumbs retractor tendon. Tiny little poke that wouldn't stop bleeding. That was fun. A Kalinga is one solid full tang blade. Fifty years later it's not as pretty but still one helluva knife! Just got the notion to bring it out of the file cabinet, but I'm afraid of it! HA!
Read your post this morning. Went and had myself a fire. With my leather gloves about 5' away, I was chopping some thin branches with my Buck 108 thing. While moving a pile off the chopped stuff out of the way, I just barely knocked my thumb on the blade.... lots of blood. 🤪 spurted all over the bathroom as the nurse wife taped me up... 5 stitches later and we're all good. Plus, I got out of cooking dinner tonight!😁😁

View attachment 2519560

View attachment 2519576

Read your post this morning. Went and had myself a fire. With my leather gloves about 5' away, I was chopping some thin branches with my Buck 108 thing. While moving a pile off the chopped stuff out of the way, I just barely knocked my thumb on the blade.... lots of blood. 🤪 spurted all over the bathroom as the nurse wife taped me up... 5 stitches later and we're all good. Plus, I got out of cooking dinner tonight!😁😁

View attachment 2519560

View attachment 2519576
Get better quick!! 👍
John 😁

Back