Who has shaved with a straight or a knife?

Who here has shaved using a straight razor or a knife?

I've never done it with a straight razor but I have used a knife twice, because the first time I wanted see if i got it sharp and the second I couldn't find my electric razor. Was really easy, since all you have to do is make the blade do the work. Also is it weird that both times I just shaved thus blade to hair until nice and smooth and nothing else?

I shave with a straight razor. For me, there is some pre-shave prep that I need to do so that my skin does not get irritated. The key for me with a straight razor is to make sure the blade is working properly. By working properly I mean:

1. Not pulling or tugging
2. Cutting hair easily

Ultimately, wet shaving with a straight razor is definitely a user preference activity.

What kind of knife did you use to shave with?

m-

The first one was a Leatherman s2 juice and the second was a cold steel ak-47. Both I kept razor sharp since they were my edc blades at the time, and thus always near by.

Razor sharp for a knife is nowhere close to a sharp razor:eek:. The blade on a straight razor is a anorexic supermodel while the blade on a knife is a sumo wrestler if you compare the two. That super fine blade is what makes a straight razor superior to a knife for shaving.

If you enjoy shaving with your knife give a straight a try. Heck shave one side of your face with the knife and the other with a straight, I don't think you will shave with your knife again other than to show off to your friends:D

You must tell us more. What was the final grit used on your Juice? I have that model Leatherman. DM

Razor sharp for a knife is nowhere close to a sharp razor:eek:. The blade on a straight razor is a anorexic supermodel while the blade on a knife is a sumo wrestler if you compare the two. That super fine blade is what makes a straight razor superior to a knife for shaving.

If you enjoy shaving with your knife give a straight a try. Heck shave one side of your face with the knife and the other with a straight, I don't think you will shave with your knife again other than to show off to your friends:D

I like this ^. :thumbup: Perhaps shaved a spot on face. DM

Thats a good question because I don't know I just used an electric sharpener because i cause F it, and also because I knew giving it a finer edge angle wouldn't be an issue. I think it's edge was a 15 degree edge.

for your entertainment:

[video=youtube;_NN3fWyIDk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NN3fWyIDk4[/video]

Thats a good question because I don't know I just used an electric sharpener because i cause F it, and also because I knew giving it a finer edge angle wouldn't be an issue. I think it's edge was a 15 degree edge.

...yeah...that had to be the most uncomfortable shave. An electric sharpener might put a 20* per side edge on, which is a 40* inclusive. Straight razors are in the neighborhood of 15-17* inclusive. Kamisori are closer to 20-22* inclusive.

I shave with a straight razor regularly, and when I have to rush its a DE razor for me. I have shaved a spot on my face with my carving knife, just for kicks and giggles, but still got nothing like a proper shave.

The generally accepted minimum final grit for a straight razor is a 8K Norton stone. And then only some people actually use that. Natural stones or engineered lapping films up to 12K and some up to 30K grit are very popular, but even then a stropping regime is always utilized after the stone to refine the edge even further.

You will barely feel the cut from a good razor, and zero tug or pull.

I'm not saying it can't be done or hasn't, hell Murry Carter shaves with anything he can, even a spoon, but he has mastered edge geometry and sharpening.

-X

Funny thing is it was fine, I didn't have any discomfort. But that could be because I'm using to always shaving without anything to increase comfort, thus any tug or pull that occur i simply didn't never notice.
Or because I let the blade do the work thus I just have it glide over the area multiple times until smooth.

I just started straight razor shaving, a little nervous the first few times, and early in the morning, just waking up probably isn't the smartest of moves! :) but getting the hang of it. I have an older Boker King Cutter with one of the handles sides broke by the pivot, it's held together with tape right now, I need to get some replacement scales someday!!

I sharpened this on a Shapton bench stone 8K and then stropped, even tried Murray Carter's newsprint as a final strop, not sure if that really did much, but it seems to shave decent, I think the blade could be a bit sharper though.

And why? because it's kinda cool, I guess more so if you enjoy sharpening, this may be one of the keen benefits of knowing how to sharpen.
G2

Been there, done both. Don't recommend the knife though. Here's a razor boys, and my favorite shaver:

Old steel seems to be the best; this razor is prob'ly well over one hundred and completely original; it is a wedge grind, weighs 3 ounces and is one sweet shaver. Just don't let the blade drop, 'cause it's a guillotine! :eek:

Likewise, done both. Shaved for many years when I was younger with a straight razor (now I use an old Gillette adjustable
double edge - to old and shakey (me not the razor) for a straight razor anymore. Also shaved a couple times when backpacking
with my 4.5 inch Scandi. Did the job, but I don't recommend it for routine use especially when you don't have any shave
cream in your backpack :)

Rich

My barber uses a straight razor instead of a buzzer on the back of the neck and the edges. Feels great. I would have him shave me too but i have an amazing beard

I shaved with pocket knives once. I was on vacation and did not bring my razor. Slip joints and baby soap to the rescue!

Seriously, though, the Walmart was only 4 blocks away. I just could not bring my self to go to the Walmart! It was right around the 4th, and that Walmart is horribly busy then.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0284.jpg

IMAG0285.jpg

Not as clean as a new razor, or nearly as clean as it would have been if I had my strop handy.
IMAG0287.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

They are normally sharper, but I had been lazy, and did not touch them up before I left on vacation. Just a few strokes per side normally has them at hair whittling.

Strop, cheap chromium oxide polish, and a hair sitting between the knives for testing.

IMG_4031.jpg

Hair after testing the edge.
IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4027.jpg

Without the strop present, it was not as clean as it would have been.

I have an opinel with much thinner blade and edge angle that would have done a better job.

I have always wanted to get a nice old straight razor.

My pop has grandpa's 100 year old razor and strop (we were told it was from great grandpa). I will hopefully inherit that!

straight razors when honed properly can be "less harsh" unlike a knife or shavette...these would be machine sharpened....

straight razors when honed properly can be "less harsh" unlike a knife or shavette...these would be machine sharpened....

I know you're no rookie, but I wouldn't call shavettes harsh. Different, for sure, but just like picking the right soap and blade, its personal preference. I often use a shavette for quick touchups when I don't want to deal with cleaning and stropping my western straits or kamisori.

Knife, razor, spoon or axe, shave with what you like!

-Xander

Back