?Who hates SAK'S?

i find the blades are way too soft and roll over way too easy. it's not a huge problem most of them time since a few passes on the soft stone fixes it, but i may need to use the knife for longer periods of time and not have a stone handy. the most recent example of this is, i was trimming a hang nail(i don't have super thick cave manish nails btw) with the scissors and i can see the edge rolled when the light hits it. another reason is the red handled saks tend to have the boy scout persona tied to them, but im sure the alox versions "mask" the sak to some degree.
i don't hate the sak infact i find them quite useful. i just carry a second knife to cut with and a sak for the tools and a back up edge.

I think they could be a lot better. I feel they should make sprint runs with better steel. How about a SwissChamp with Alox scales? And can't they figure out to use Alox scales and still have little slots for the toothpick and tweezers? Is it that hard?

A few years back they started to make some models with a locking blade and a spyder hole (There I said it, Victorionox ripped off Spyderco and you know it!) They are even offered plain edge or partially serrated towards the end. Great option! An SAK with an easy open (Spyder hole!) that locks too! But, why doesn't it have a tooth pick and tweezers? Can't figure it out? Really?

Leatherman puts out a Charge Ti that is basically a Wave but with titanium handles and an S30V blade. Why not offer an SAK soilder with a premium steel and titanium or alox scales?

This thread is seven pages now and if I'm the first, than so be it.

I hate SAKS.

And the new Stargate Universe series too!

I always have a knife on me so I go with the Juice S2 for the tools. I will say that I have never owned a Victorinox SAK but I had one made by another company which I immediately gave away as soon as I bought the Juice. I also live in an urban area as one of the guys said so how great that knife is isn't so important to me. I will say that the Alox SAKs still intrigue me if I can find a color other than those silver ones that are all over the place I might just try it out.

I think they could be a lot better. I feel they should make sprint runs with better steel. How about a SwissChamp with Alox scales? And can't they figure out to use Alox scales and still have little slots for the toothpick and tweezers? Is it that hard?

A few years back they started to make some models with a locking blade and a spyder hole (There I said it, Victorionox ripped off Spyderco and you know it!) They are even offered plain edge or partially serrated towards the end. Great option! An SAK with an easy open (Spyder hole!) that locks too! But, why doesn't it have a tooth pick and tweezers? Can't figure it out? Really?

Leatherman puts out a Charge Ti that is basically a Wave but with titanium handles and an S30V blade. Why not offer an SAK soilder with a premium steel and titanium or alox scales?

This thread is seven pages now and if I'm the first, than so be it.

I hate SAKS.

And the new Stargate Universe series too!

They don't even have to go with a higher grade of steel, but maybe just take the present grade up a tiny notch. I read someplace where the RC is 56 for the cutting blade. Can't they tweak it just a bit to maybe 57 or even 58? That would give better edge holding without going to a more expensive steel. Look what Buck gets out of plain old 420HC by just having Paul Bos oversee the heat treat.

Carl.

I don't hate saks, I just don't think they are gods gift to the world like some worship and they dont rank that high on my knife blade material, design, lenght, ect. You'll never find me carrying one in my pocket but I'd throw one into my car or backpack.

Bottom line for me is that if it can't cut a 1/2 to an inch nylon halter (for equine) lead rope very very easily in a single swing and be deployed one handed, it don't even consider it an edc as my life could be compromised.

Bottom line for me is that if it can't cut a 1/2 to an inch nylon halter (for equine) lead rope very very easily in a single swing and be deployed one handed, it don't even consider it an edc as my life could be compromised.

I'd be VERY surprised if my OHT couldn't pass your test.
In fact I just don't see that the cutting ability of SAKs falls short in any way - I can get a really sharp edge on any of my SAKs and they slice better than most knives I've tried. On these forums the full flat grind is often touted as the best thing ever, Victorinox have been putting out blades with a FFG for a LONG time. The blades might need sharpening a little more often, but I've not found the edge retention to be bad at all.

I don't hate saks, I just don't think they are gods gift to the world like some worship and they dont rank that high on my knife blade material, design, lenght, ect. You'll never find me carrying one in my pocket but I'd throw one into my car or backpack.

Cutting a 1/2 to inch nylon rope is no great test of a knife, that can be done with a sharp classic if the owner hasn't neglected it. That's the great thing about a sak, it's sooo damm easy to sharpen on the top of a car window, bottom of a coffee mug, or stropped on the back of a belt, there's no excuse for a dull sak. A 5 dollar flea market special can be sharpened up to cut a 1/2 inch rope in one swipe. An inch should be possible. Nylon cuts way easier than hemp.

I used to hate SAK's as a young kid when I was training to be a mall ninja, but now as a knifemaker and enthusiast, the more I learn about edged tools the more I like them. Simple, practical, useful, and accepted by most people as a tool and not a weapon.

I hate how I have so many of them that it is hard to decide which one to carry each day.

I hate how I have one in every car, my backpack, and my pocket - plus more laying around my computer desk and drawers.

I hate how they are both so useful and cost so little.

I do love the Vic flashlights but I hate how they seem to always want to include a SAK when I would gladly pay the same price for the flashlight alone.

Back