Who here turns Emersons into V-Grinds (Primary edge, not entire bevel)?

Macchina

Gold Member
I have an Emerson Commander on the way, and I would like it to be a true v-grind blade. Does anybody know who could do this for me?

What do you mean? It is a V grind except for the serrated section if you have a serrated model. Do you mean turn a serated section of the balde into a V grind so the whole length of the blade is a V grind?

Edit: Hmmm, you're talking about making it a flat ground blade aren't you?

Last edited:
What do you mean? It is a V grind except for the serrated section if you have a serrated model. Do you mean turn a serated section of the balde into a V grind so the whole length of the blade is a V grind?

I believe alot of emersons are chisel ground, and he wants to turn it into a V grind.

You can do it yourself on a XXC DMT diamond stone, but sending it to a professional like Richard would save you the trouble and hassle though.

Yeah, emersons chisel grind because its sharper, and they apparently do it on the wrong side for a right handed user. Turning it into V grind is a great idea, and having Richard do it is a GREATER idea :D

I am going to go with Richard J.

The actual blade is a v-grind, it's the edge that Emerson grinds only one side. They claim it makes it sharper, but a v-grind at the same included angle would be just as sharp :rolleyes:.
I like some of their knife designs, but Emerson seems to cut a lot of corners to save a penny.
I have the equipment to reprofile edges, but I don't feel comfortable doing it to such a recurved blade. I would rather have one of the many professionals here do it so I don't screw up a $150 knife.

Tom Krein does wicked work. From everything I've heard and seen I highly, highly recommend Tom.

I had a chisel ground commander and changed it to a v grind probably the single best improvement you can do to a Emerson.

The actual blade is a v-grind, it's the edge that Emerson grinds only one side. They claim it makes it sharper, but a v-grind at the same included angle would be just as sharp :rolleyes:.

That is a sabre (V) grind with an asymetrical edge.

scan0001.jpg

left one is the unsharpened blade
next one is after Emerson sharpened it
next one is if you even it out the minimum - much larger edge angle = harder force required to cut
right one is if you try to get equal edge angles at approx the same angle as Emerson got - have to sharpen both sides to get this.

I'm sure Richard would have done this anyway, just wanted to put pics to the conversation, they often are the best way to figure out what's going on.

I like the Emerson (and Busse) asymetrical edge. With most use you'll only need to touch up one side and strop the "unsharpened" side with the bevel flat (or near flat) to the strop. It may not cut perfectly straight. but it will if you turn the knife a few degrees while cutting!:D

But hey, different strokes...:)

call it what ya may but they are not a std 'v' grind like on a BM 710 or anything else for that matter, they dont cut like a std 'v', & ya dont sharpen them like a std 'v', imho its confusing the way EKI terms there grinds, though it is accurate, if i had a nickle for everyone who bought a commander and thought they were getting a std 'v' i could buy a commander lol, not that its a bad grind mind ya imho its just not really a std 'v' grind, & ya are technically correct,

i had a commander a few yrs ago which was done by someone who was good into a std 'v' grind, it looked and worked pretty well, i have seen others which didnt look or work as well, if it was mine i would leave it alone once ya learn to sharpen them correctly they work fine for most things, & i eventually swapped off the mod'ed one i had, but YMMV.

i like the EKi grinds myself but on some a std 'v' might would be a bit better.

Well, I'm sending the knife off to Richard J for reprofiling on his famous paper wheels! I've traded with him before and he was great, but when I asked him to reprofile my knife he invited me to his shop so I could learn how to use the paper wheels! Unfortunately I probally can't make it, but he a great guy. I'll let you guys know how much better the knife is with a nice v-grind, maybe if enough of us do it Emerson will get the point!

I'm sure Richard will do a bangup job. Let me be the first to say PICTURES! when you get it back, ok?

I changed the bevel on my commander using sand paper on a dowel rod for the shaping and a sharpmaker for finishing. Works well but needs a little more use and sharpening cycles to get it properly "right".

DSCF1292.jpg

This shows the side I had to grind the new bevel onto. Above the Emerson is a CRKT I used to learn how to convex on, and a Spyderco I spent a good bit of time stropping to very sharp indeed!

I want to try v grinding out mine, but lossing that much blade width would change the appeal so i cant commit to it. To do it right I would lose the entire edge bevel to get the degree i wanted.

Back