Who Is Making A Good Kephart Knife?

Razor

Gold Member
With hunting season coming up, I would like to buy a good Kephart knife. I cannot afford a real expensive one. Maybe $200. They are my favorite outdoor knife. I like carbon steel also.

Here’s another vote for the Becker BK62, excellent value. I would like to show some enthusiasm for the Carothers Kephart, but I have not seen mine yet, having just snagged one from the sale of the last ten of these knives. If you want one, you may have to resort to the secondary market, because Nathan says he isn’t going to make any more.

If you don’t want to spend a hundred or three, you might consider something at the lower end of the price spectrum. The Green River fish knife, second from left, doesn’t look like a Kephart, doesn’t pretend to be a Kephart, but it feels like a Kephart, and it offers the same kind of utility and versatility that the eponymous Horace called for in his knives. You can find the 4215 for as little as twelve bucks. Add a Ka-Bar sheath for about $15, and you have a nice, light, inexpensive rig.

The, too, there’s the Dadley. The one shown on the right is also from Dexter-Russell. The Dadley is an old pattern, said to be a Kephart precursor.

EA3BBD62-DD17-4CB9-A4DF-7CC46716B514.jpeg

I have a Carothers Performance Knives Kephart in Delta 3V. It's an incredible knife with an excellent sheath. I carried it during a week-long backcountry deer hunt last year and it did a great job for everything I normally use a knife for, worked great for gutting, skinning, and breaking down deer, and also was an awesome kitchen knife for the camp kitchen. Didn't even need to be stropped after a week of hard use! It's bigger than a knife I normally bring hunting/camping but I won't bring a hatchet on the trip next year if I bring the Carothers Kephart.

pzVHkPj.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Brisa Kephart in 80CrV2, here in europe around 130 Euros. Great knife.

LT Wright Next Gen, I got one in AEBL, but its also available in A2. should be at your upper limit if available.

In fact my best Kephart is the one by Bark River in CPM3V. But that beats your budget by a mile. Awesome knife though.

Brisa Kephart in 80CrV2, here in europe around 130 Euros. Great knife.

LT Wright Next Gen, I got one in AEBL, but its also available in A2. should be at your upper limit if available.

In fact my best Kephart is the one by Bark River in CPM3V. But that beats your budget by a mile. Awesome knife though.
With hunting season coming up, I would like to buy a good Kephart knife. I cannot afford a real expensive one. Maybe $200. They are my favorite outdoor knife. I like carbon steel also.

Back