who makes the best fighters?

M. Ogg,

I appreciate you view from the artisians perspective. However, as a custom knife dealer I owe it to my customers to remove the hype from reality.

Now you may feel that you have challanged yourself and given the knife your best effort. This is what you should tell your customers. In fact, this is what they are paying for. This is not hype, this is the truth. Im sure you, like most knife makers try and make the absolute best knife they can every time.

You are correct, I have never made a knife, either by stock removal or forging. As the world does not need another bad knife maker. However, I have designed and co-designed over 75 knives, from folders to bowies. These knives have featured both forging and stock removal methods of construction. So I do have a fair degeree of knowledge in these areas.

In the vein of your question, I will ask you a question how many knives have you bought and resold as a custom knife dealer.

As a custom knife dealer working in the aftermarketI have bought and sold millions of dollars worth of custom knives. Not one had a soul or ever "came alive" in my hand.

I do agree with you that I have held knives that fit my hand so well and had superior balance, they became almost a weightless extention of my hand and arm. Consequently, to use them in the role they were intended for, was seemingly effortless.

I'm sure you would agree that your soul is not (in any amount or portion)transfered to a particular piece of steel, nor does it actually "come alive" in your hand.

I hope to meet you at a show one day and take a look at your knives. You sound very passionate about your craft, I like that in a knife maker.

------------------
Les Robertson
www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

"If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor"
Albert Einstein

Les, I am developing a great amount of respect for you. You have a cool head and an absolute desire to communicate your feelings.

I'm going to try to go point by point over your last post so we can agree to disagree peacefully. I think I know what you meant when you said you were removing hype from reality for your customers. Hype is defined as a puffed up or misrepresented explanation of any subject.

I guess you missed my point when I said that a forged knife "almost feels alive" in your hand. But, not really. You just have a more 'nuts and bolts' kind of attitude toward knives in general. I understand that. You deal in knives, and that puts your perspective on a different plain than mine as a maker.

I don't think I'd make a very good dealer. I have too much personal involvement at this piont to detach myself from the front lines of knife making. I don't make a very good living at my custom knife making efforts. I make knives when I'm at my most creative 'best'. You hit the nail on the head when you said that "I try to make the absolute best knife that I can every time". That's what separates us. You sell knives to make a living. I make knives because I have a sincere love for the craft. The money is just incedental for me. 'Millions of dollars' has no meaning to me in my little smithy.

On the subject of souls again... I don't know what you believe, but I believe with all my heart that we don't 'have' souls. Our soul surrounds us and is part of the collective. We as individuals add our experiences to the 'soul'. So, our experiences are reflected by what we 'do' through our soul(s). Kind of deep, but I think you probably see where I'm going with this. My knives are a reflection of me and an extension of my 'soul'.

I would love to have you come to my shop and help you make a knife so you could experience what I've intimated here. I mean that. It would add an important element to your dealer status. You would no longer view the hype as 'hype'. And I'd want you to keep the knife and you'd want to keep it as well.

On a different note, how do you add pictures to this forum? I'm new at this kind of thing and don't have a clue. I've enjoyed this. Thanks.

My quote - "A dealer has knives to be sold, a maker makes knifes that are sold already".

------------------
M.Ogg

Back