Recommendation? Who makes the better "Tactical/Duty/Instructor" belts today?

I want a new 1 3/4" web belt with a Cobra buckle and a repelling ring.

I have been out of the market for a good while, so now that COVID craziness has diminished, I am thinking that finding one in stock or that can be ordered and delivered in a few weeks is much better.

I am not very brand-centric and, expect to find the better ones to be more small shop or boutique made. What web Instructor or Tactical belts today are my better options?

TIA,
Sid

I want a new 1 3/4" web belt with a Cobra buckle and a repelling ring.

I have been out of the market for a good while, so now that COVID craziness has diminished, I am thinking that finding one in stock or that can be ordered and delivered in a few weeks is much better.

I am not very brand-centric and, expect to find the better ones to be more small shop or boutique made. What web Instructor or Tactical belts today are my better options?

TIA,
Sid
it looks like Petzl makes a tactical belt. I haven't tried it. It might be too wide for normal belt loops. It's pretty expensive!
Maybe if you got on the phone with Onrope1, you can talk to someone about them sewing one for you
PS. The very few times i tried to rappel with just a waist loop (or a harness with leg loops that were too long to take any weight), I found it painfully uncomfortable. I suspect it might also put pressure on your diaphragm which could interfere with your breathing. Caveat emptor!

Last edited:
it looks like Petzl makes a tactical belt. I haven't tried it. It might be too wide for normal belt loops. It's pretty expensive!
Maybe if you got on the phone with Onrope1, you can talk to someone about them sewing one for you
PS. The very few times i tried to rappel with just a waist loop (or a harness with leg loops that were too long to take any weight), I found it painfully uncomfortable. I suspect it might also put pressure on your diaphragm which could interfere with your breathing. Caveat emptor!

The D-ring belts aren't meant for routine rappelling but, are a great safety feature for times you need to safely drop 20' to get away from something. Most firemen wear something like this in large urban departments so, that in a fire they could use one to get out of a building's upper floor if their escape was blocked.

The D-ring belts aren't meant for routine rappelling but, are a great safety feature for times you need to safely drop 20' to get away from something. Most firemen wear something like this in large urban departments so, that in a fire they could use one to get out of a building's upper floor if their escape was blocked.
would have to cut off the gear loops i guess

alternatively, this looks like it could work as a tactical style belt, if you cut off the leg loops and gear loop
at least it would be better than a leather belt

Last edited:

That buckle looks a bit weak to me and their page says not use it if there is risk of falling! šŸ¤£

That is a full harness! If I new I needed to rappel, that would be the type of thing I would use. šŸ‘

https://www.highspeedgear.com/31bv0-31cb0-31cv0-31id0-31idv
31bv0xcb-1_1_1.jpg

Something like this with a D-ring is what I am looking for.

Follow-up on the AV spelbelt from Elevated Climbing: I ordered one and it turns out it is adjustable but there is no buckle for closure, one needs to provide oneā€™s own, such as the Petzl Omni link

I only have one belt with the AustriAlpin buckle but they don't make the setup you want. I think The Wilderness makes the best belts if you can find a configuration you want.

I wear one daily with a pistol AIWB.

I only have one belt with the AustriAlpin buckle but they don't make the setup you want. I think The Wilderness makes the best belts if you can find a configuration you want.

I wear one daily with a pistol AIWB.

Another vote for Wilderness belts. Rock solid.

Back