who makes the finest handmade combat swords

editted title: doesnt necesarily have to be handmade... but it doesnt change on the forum view only on the thread view. :(

dont care about decoration or traditional "metal folding" techniques (because i know there are modern technologies that make a stronger blade)

I care about absolute perfect utility. "Form and Function". Who makes swords of this caliber? not necesarily the most expensive.

please advise
Regards
Stef

If you are looking for some of those stripped down tactical sort of things you might want to check out the Criswell stuff, Hossom stuff or maybe something by someone like Hartsfield.

For a working blade with historical appearance, you might wish to look into blades by Angus Trim. I have a Roman Gladius Hispaniensis blade by him that is unbelievably "alive".

What do you want to do with it?

Kevin Cashen, Wally Hayes, Don Fogg, Phil Hartsfield.

I just received my first Hossom today, so I can't say about his, yet.

Damascus isn't necessarily at a disadvantage to monolithic steels (see Cashen's competition knives).

In no particular order:

1. Howard Clark, especially the L6's. Check out Summer Child.
2. James Piorek, check out JSP
3. Wally Hayes

I'd love to hear about more. i'm looking for something a little more affordable than these formidable makers' swords to train with very hard.

Kris Cutlery swords are good for training and some are even good for use as tools. They are inexpensive compared to many other swords on the market.

John Lundemo from www.odinblades.com makes IMO the finest swords i've seen...i have a custom coming in from him myself and i'm totally hyped. plus John as a re-enacter of 25 years has really made high performance blades with the tang one of the strongest on the market. :)

lol bias cause i'm an odinblades freek :p.

Stef,

What type of sword are you looking for? If it is Japanese the strongest toughest blade in that style is Howard Clark's L-6 Bainite katana.

James

Originally posted by James Williams
Stef,

What type of sword are you looking for? If it is Japanese the strongest toughest blade in that style is Howard Clark's L-6 Bainite katana.

James

lol and to attest to that take your nice L6 that was on the cover of blade, so how many cuts has that one made now :p hahaha.

blademag_large

Robert,

I have not cut with that sword for awhile. As I am involved in design and testing I have quite a number of swords to cut with so some get left for periods of time. I didi just return from a video shoot in Iowa where I did some, from a sword standpoint, absurd things with one of Howard's L-6 swords. The amount of abuse they will take is well beyond any sword performance specs that i would personally place on a blade. I don't know what it will take to actually break one as that did not happen when i was testing, in fact I didn't even bend the thing. Howard is going to break one for the video so it will be interesting to see how it can done.

Regards,

James

I think i remember you mentioning on the bugei forum that you use a few (well a lot more if your testing blades :p) different swords but not try to favor just one. but i saw that video Keith put up of Big Tony cutting the red oak jo, man i was laughing pretty hard after seeing that if only on a video...so i have no doubt after seeing just that, that howard can make the best japanese swords available. but cutting is technique not the sword (which you no doubt know well more than me). and BTW loved the Aiki Expo Demonstration video thats up on your dojo's website...:)

Are you looking for a Western or an Eastern style sword? If one or the other, in a traditional or a more modern, functional design? As you can very likely see from the above, there are a lot of decisions to be made before you start pricing a sword. And, as was noted in Phil's thread about buying a katana, traditional Japanese style swords tend to run rather more than Western ones.

i was hoping for kinda like "science and technology meets sword combat"

i want a blade that utilizes modern technology to make a superior blade... whether it be in making a very efficient blade design or materials or both.

if you had to sword fight, what sword would you put you life on the line with?

Originally posted by Snarlin Stef
i was hoping for kinda like "science and technology meets sword combat"

i want a blade that utilizes modern technology to make a superior blade... whether it be in making a very efficient blade design or materials or both.

if you had to sword fight, what sword would you put you life on the line with?

well thats still an extremely broad statement as everyone's opinion will be different...myself it would be my odinblade 2 handed leaf blade thats coming in september, its going to be the pinnical of my sword collecting as it will be my first full custom :D.

its up to you, there are so many smiths who can make just about any design under the sun :).

Gentlemen,

When you consider the number of trained man hours that are put into one of the L-6 Bainite blades you realize what a bargain they are. There is 60 hours in polishing alone that goes into one of these swords. The hand forging and heat treating of these swords is difficult and time consuming. The handle and saya are both hand carved from wood. The Saya is then lacquered and the fittings mounted, the tsuka, handle, is wrapped in ray skin and then wrapped with ito, either silk or leather. Proper wrapping of the handle is a skill in itself and takes 6 to 8 hours to accomplish.

There are other high end swords on the market with only 10 per cent of the labor involved that cost as much or more. We are actually raising the price of these blades as the cost to make them is so high. We are offering bare L-6 bainite blades once again at a cost of $3000. They will be in the same grind as they are when the polisher receives them.

Regards,

James

I don't think anyone who is into swords doubts that Bugei swords are worth the price. It is just that most of us are probably not at the level (of skill and/or finances)where we would benefit from a sword like that. I do know that if I did save up for one this year I would probably not use it. :D I'll probably get one once I get into the dan rankings though.

As far as the L6(aka Haynes25, aka L605) i can attest to the material itself. It is one of the toughest materials on the planet earth. We machine critical components for nuclear and weapon industries out of Haynes25. To put it in perspective, the same part made from 316 Stainless (a very tough stainless) will cost 100.00 that part in L6 will cost 900.00
L6 will take a tremendous beating, will retain an edge(bainite heat treat) and it takes a bit longer to Polish than ordinairy steels due to the microstructure after heat treat and bainite forms on the surface.
I am currently machining a sword for my father out of Haynes25, from a solid bar stock. I have already used up several ceramic inserts roughing it out, but its worth it. Its for my pop.
A sword made from Bugei, a well known and highly respected metal working group, is well worth the money for a forged hand polished sword made from pretty much the toughest commercially available material on earth.

Back