Why Did I Ever Buy Other Folders?

JMB

I recently reccomended to a friend that he look at the Spyderco line to satisfy his need for a good folder for daily chores. Well, last night he showed me his new Delica and damn was I impressed. My first folder was a pre-98 Delica that I bought about 4 years ago. I liked it a lot and it was a constant companion. However, I was soon lured by the dark side of the "more money is more knife" crowd. I bought an Emerson E1-B Raven and although the handles are the most comfortable I've ever felt, the blade just did not cut like I wish it would. After last night, I told my friend I was going to rush out today and buy myself a "new and improved" Delica for myself. Well, I did, and it's good to be home. I now wonder why I've even bothered with other knives. The Spyderco's are just so sharp out of the box, strong, and functional.

I don't know a lot about the new steel though. Could someone please tell me about ATS-55. I'd appreciate any info you can offer on corrosion resistance, strength, edge holding ability, etc....

Now, I just have to decide which Spydie to buy next! I'm thinking probably a Military, or maybe a Wegner, or perhaps a......

From my limited experience, ATS-55 has better edge-holding than AUS-8 or GIN-1, somewhere similar to ATS-34, perhaps a bit less. It is not supposed to be quite as brittle as 34 when 34 is heat-treated to a high RC hardness (60 or 61). It has slightly better corrosion resistance than 34, but less corrosion resistance than AUS-8 or GIN-1. And it should be fairly easy to resharpen.
Jim

I'm not deeply familiar with the chemistry of ATS-55, but I think it's an EXCELLENT low-end knife steel. Its edge-holding ability is impressive given my extensive experience with layered cardboard and plastic banding at work. I think it just has more chromium and slightly less carbon than ATS-34 is all. In other words, I like the steel quite well.

Back