Why do you tease us for so long?

I know all about supply and demand. But, what I don't understand is why your company releases information such as pictures and specs on a new model so far in advance from the actual production. Don't you think that might be slightly counter-productive? It seems that you get us all excited about new models, and then dissapoint us when it takes a year or longer to see the product after the initial pictures were released. I'm talking specifically about the Bob Lum tanto and the new Starmate. What gives, Sal?

Savman,

Sal has commented on this manufacturer's dilema elsewhere in these forums. Frankly I prefer early announcements so that I can assess the new offerings as early as possible and make plans accordingly. Granted, the trade off is to be held in check, awaiting the initial availability with bated breath.

The saving grace here is that Spyderco doesn't play with vaporware. When they announce a collaboration or an upcoming design, rest assured it'll make it to the retailers. Other manufacturers and industries have not been so forthright.

Think about it: would you really rather have Sal and his firm hold things in check until the last minute or share early with the cutlery community their market plans? I most definately hope he continues whetting our appetites early
smile.gif
!!!!

------------------
-=[Bob]=-

Keep yer powder dry and cutters hair poppin' sharp!

thanx Bob, Savman - actually the Bob Lum is out. Shipping steadily. Just not in very large numbers. We're trying to increase production at this time. Unfortunately we do have a limited production capacity. Workers skilled enough to produce Spyderco quality take a long time to learn their skill. Putting out larger volume at lesser quality is always possible, but something we would prefer not to do. We grew too rapidly in '94 & '95 and it took '96, '97 and most of '98 to sort out the problems created by the overly rapid growth. Like a teen outgrowing their clothes. Got any great ideas?
sal

I agree with Bob, take your time,I don't mind waiting cause I have to budget my knife funds anyway. The anticipation is part of the sweetness, like when you've been away from your wife for a couple days, y'know ?

Sal,
Thanks for your reply! Besides hiring new employees to keep up with the production, maybe you could increase the use of CNC and other automated systems to help boost production volume. I agree with your quality standpoint, that's something that needs to be first and foremost over quantity. After all, it's design and quality that gets me to buy a knife, and your company is synonymous with quality. As for Bob and Brian, I'm not as patient as the two of you! I do have some patience, but my waiting-for-a-new-knife limitation is about 6 to 9 months. Any longer than that and I'm starting to forget about the knife I was waiting for (besides adding more gray)!

Savman - thanks for the kind words. We have just about everything CNC that can be. Skilled people are hard to find...and train. Quality is time, skill, effort, attitude, and a dash of passion. Are you looking for work? We're always looking for good people. It take years to get really good at making quality knives.

Our makers in Seki-City are also highly skilled craftsmen. Not as high tech as our Golden facility, but better in the hand finish work. (Our Lum is truly "Custom quality" and you've heard the kudus for the Calypso jr. micarta) But their shops are no larger than Chris Reeve's. They have a very sophisticated system of highly specialized subcontractors with whom they are partnered. Many of these makers have taken 15 or 20 years to refine their craft. Hard to just "hire more help". I can assure you we do the best we can. "Quality is the product of a good attitude". If there are any short cuts that work, we haven't been able to find them. Thanx for the interest and support.
sal

Mr. Glesser,
I might be looking for work. Are you serious about needing people?? Can I carry my Benchmades to work??
smile.gif
Maybe I should email ya. Hmmmm....
Blades

Back