Why not phospher/bronze washers

In response to "evanPGH"

I stumbled onto this thread while looking to see if anyone had tried swapping washers and thought I'd try and take apart my SR-1 after reading some posts. Long story short I broke one of the teflon washers and now am committed to replacing them! I was hopping you could link me to the exact washers you found success with?

Washer slipped while reinserting the pivot and I snapped it.

HVQ8ATO.jpg

If you guys are still interested in this I was able to find replacement washers that worked for me!

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_87_88&products_id=491

EDIT:

They just barely fit the pivot, little bit of work with a diamond file and some quick polishing fixed them right up, but the thickness was spot on. I suppose if I had a strop i could have gotten them smoother, but I'm happy with them.

Last edited:
I picked up a super precision digital caliper from Harbor Freight ;) and measured up the old washers.

OD - 0.499

ID - 0.205

THICKNESS - 0.026/0.017

I found it interesting they were varying diameters. If I remember correctly the thicker one was on the lock side.

http://i.imgur.com/mJasjKt.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did anyone have any luck replacing the SR2-A washer from telfon to phos-bronze? or does anyone have the measurement for the washers used in the SR2-A?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but did anyone have any luck replacing the SR2-A washer from telfon to phos-bronze? or does anyone have the measurement for the washers used in the SR2-A?

Thanks in advance,
Marcus
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=60_87_88&products_id=1541
I put these in a Titanium SR2. They need a smidge of grease to work properly.
Teflon washers work just fine. Phospor bronze is an imagined upgrade IMO. Bronze washers need grease but teflon does not.
The only reason I got bronze washers was because I lost one of my teflon ones and wanted to see if they worked any better. They both do the exact same thing so it's more or less a wash.

Thanks Jhansenak47 appreciate your input. I think I'll stick with the Teflon for now then. Does it seem the bronze reduces any play? Mine is having a smidgen of play even when the pivot is tight

Not really. If anything my bronze washers needed to have a tighter pivot, but do fit without play. The teflon washers fit perfectly. This however is a fitment issue as every knife will have slight dimensional variances. So comparing washers on my knife won't give an accurate picture of fit on yours.
My teflon washer that I still have measures 0.025" thickness. If you read through the thread people have noted different thicknesses on their washers. I wouldn't be surprised if the bronze ones weren't identical but I just put them in and didn't measure them.
BTW I am checking play in the open/locked position. If it is closed you can push it to the side but it stays in the centered position.

When measuring the Teflon washers be sure not to push the calipers hard together. My dad is a tool and die maker and gave me a set of good calipers (retail $350) and taught me how to use them correctly. Washers usually come in .005 increments (.010, .015 and so on). Just remember that.

I had good luck with LionSteel's customer support. I contacted them and told them I broke my original Teflon washers and they were happy to send over a bag of washers for my SR-1A no charge. The ones i received from the factory were a different thickness than the ones i originally pulled from the knife and actually worked better than the original. These washers all ended up being .028, crazy enough the extra .002 on each side is noticeable and helped centering.

Thank you! I think I'll have to experiment and order various size pros-bronze ones and try them out

Back