Why only less than 1000 members?

Bobby Branton

I probably have been as lazy as the next guy getting signed up with AKTI. I wanted a special number so I asked that number 1000 be held for me 3 months ago. Jan says that we are nearing 1000 soon so my question is.
Why does AKTI only have less than 1000 members? according to Ken Warners Knives publications there are over 4000 knifemakers out there not to mention knife dealers.
I am a life member of the NRA and think that every gun owner should be a member regardless of what you think about their politics. I think that at least all makers and dealers should be members of AKTI.
I am sure that AKTI is lacking funds to agressively seek out new members. This is what I would like to see and will do whatever I can to make it happen. I think that every maker or dealer should donate a custom or nice factory knife to be auctioned off at a spot like the Blade Show at an auction similar to the auction that was held last year. Or maybe we can get everyone to donate the proceeds from the sale of one of their knives to benefit AKTI. Maybe the knives could be etched or scrimshawed accordingly. CJ, Sal, Les, Jan what do you think? I will donate the first one to get the ball rolling

Bobby Branton

When you join the NRA you get a slick magazine and a blizard of mail wanting you to send money, write your legislators, or both. When you join AKTI, you get the quiet satisfaction of having done a small good deed.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

A discouraging word - AKTI had a conspicuous booth at the entrance to the Blade Show in Atlanta this last June, and a general meeting notice posted. The Blade Show is as many hard core knife people in one place as you'll ever have. We didn't fill the small meeting room.
frown.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

James ,
I know where you are coming from. I could not make it this year because my wife had a slight problem with her heart and stayed in the infirmary at the hotel most of the day. Between that and doing my Knife Throwing seminar I could not make it. I went to the first meeting that was held a couple of years ago and it was less than 10 people in the room. I just want to help because I know it cost a lot of money to run a organization like AKTI. Most people want to see something tangible for their $15.00. What do you think about a auction to benefit AKTI?

Bobby

What if there were new-release knives from participating manufacturers, with an AKTI logo, that only AKTI members would have the privilege of buying? And/or to be sold only through AKTI-affiliated dealers? Gotta think of a way that would work without being too self-serving.
smile.gif
At a decent profit, for yet more money to AKTI of course.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

I've seen AKTI's ads in the knife magazines, how about getting the various magazines to each run a feature article on AKTI, the importance of belonging/supporting to the organization, and the group's efforts and/or plans for lobbying, etc. Not just a one page text-only article on page 93, but something closer to the front, with some pictures (of what? I dunno... board of directors? a knife that'll be raffled off to members? something to catch people's attention so they don't just flip past the page).

How about trying to get the same into magazines a little further afield (gun magazines, outdoors magazines, Better Homes and Gardens
smile.gif
, etc.).

How about a regular column on AKTI news in one or more of the magazines?

If such articles have already appeared, then, well, either I missed a few issues, or the articles weren't "sexy" enough and I flipped past them :O

Not every potential member surfs the Internet or attends the Blade Show...

My $0.02...

Even though almost ever household probably has at least a kitchen kife I think that people who are concerned about legislation are small in number, as at first glance it seems to be only an issue for people who want carry larger knives. I think that the AKTI has to be careful with 'knives as tools' as so many are blatently sold as weapons, and coupled with misuse is in fact the reason for new legislation.

Back