Why Terzuola Knives Are So Very Good

jbravo

Gold Member
I just got my seventh, or eighth, Terzuola. Its an ATCF, plain in appearance - titanium handles, satin blade, nothing fancy at all. Yet I am pleasantly surprized to find lots of small changes from the last ATCF I bought. Slightly different profile on the liner, for instance, to even further lessen the chance of white knuckling it. Fit and finish still outstanding, with every little detail attended to, as well as the big items like blade to handle ratio, balance, and lock-up. It is an exemplar of the admonition that form should follow function.

Even after all this time, Bob still finds things to improve on this signature model! Its little wonder that the knives reflect his subtle genius.

I agree!!!! I carry my Terzuola ATCF with Ti bolsters and ironwood scales everyday-and use it!It has a solid lockup and holds an edge like forever. I remember recently when I showed this knife to Darrell Ralph and he saw the scratches and all and said "wow,you really use this knife". Darn right, it's an excellent tool and that's what it was made for.
I also have found a way to justify using a knife at this price to myself. Being as I no longer drink(hey, at 43, I've already drank my lifetime allotment
smile.gif
), I figure that I would have blown the amount of this knife in 1 or 2 months partying in the old days, so why not? Hey, it works for me and my good friend Bill W.
Anyway, I bought the knife last Nov. at the NY Custom show and have carried it daily ever since. Except for a lock adjustment at the beginning that Bob T made for free, it has been trouble free and done anything asked of it.
If I had one small complaint, it's that Bob will only put the clip on the end opposite the pivot and I dont like tip up carry. I bought the knife without a clip originally. I asked another very famous maker(not gonna name him here so he doesn't get multiple requests) to look at it for me. Here's what he did. He took out the 2 top torx screws at the top of one side of the bolster and drilled and tapped those 2 holes to the next torx size. He then made me a clip that went around the pivot instead of over it.and used those 2 holes to attach it. Works great, and I want to show it to Bob at this year's NY Show to get his opinion.
Sorry this is so long but I love this knife.

------------------
Dave (Phil.4:13)
I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me

Lifter and jbravo: thanks for the votes of confidence and lifter, good for you, keep up the good work.
About my clip placement. The original pocket clips, designed by Sal Glesser for his Clipit knives, were placed and are still placed at the pivot end of the handle. This affords a point down carry but, the draw of the knife from the pocket was intended to be with the fingers grasping the hole in the blade, drawing the knife out and, while still grasping the blade, using the mass of the handle, in a downward flick, to open the knife.
This is fine if there is a hole in the blade! In my original designs, I opted for a different opening system, either the thumb stud or my original thumb disc. This gave me the latitude to place the clip at either end.
I chose the back end of the knife for several reasons.
1) When drawing a knife with a back end clip, the hand naturally places the knife in position to be used instantly with the point forward and the cutting edge down.There is no further hand manipulation necessary. There is only one ,smooth hand motion. With the clip on the front end, the hand has to adjust the knife to the right position.
Granted, the Spyderco draw is fast and simple, but you wind up with your fingers grasping part of the blade where the hole is.
2. The clip on the back end is more comfortable to my hand and actually adds grip to the handle.
3. I like to leave the pivot screw exposed so that the end user can adjust the blade or remove it for cleaning. If the clip were to be placed back of the pivot, the knife would ride too high in the pocket.
4. if I were to place the clip over the pivot, I would not be able to use my milled pocket-single screw design clip, at least not efficiently.
5. I don't like cluttering up the bolsters, especially damascus or Mokume.
6. Most important , I just like the way rear mounted clips LOOK!
Best to you both, lifter, see ya in NY BOB

Mr T., thanks for taking the time to reply. I know you are busy. I hope you didn't get the impression that I was implying that your idea about where clips go was wrong or that I was saying anything negative about you. I personally consider you one of the masters of the tactical knife. I know from reading and talking to Steve Dick in NY that you were the first to use the thumb disc as well as a few other innovations.
This was just my preference for a USING knife since it was what I was used to. As a printer for the NY Daily News I probably use it 30-40 times a night cutting paper, opening boxes, cutting straps, etc. Being as the knives I had been using for the last few years before I got the ATCF had the clip on the bolster end, I just got used to it.
For the record, if I was buying one for putting away in a collection, I would get one with your clip on it so it would be wholly authentic. Also, if I was a martial artist or knife fighter I would probably train myself to carry a knife tip up for the added speed.
Anyway, I wanted to make sure you didnt think I was saying that I knew better than you, or you were wrong and I was right. It's just a case of this old dog being set in certain ways. I am also hoping that it didnt insult you that I had another knifemaker work on the knife. I just happened to know that he made small precision parts as a machinist and figured he had the expertise to do it without ruining the knife.
BTW, the book is great, extremely educational and enjoyable. It says alot about you that you would share your trade secrets and other insights with the knife world.
Thanks for listening, see you at the NY Show in Nov.

------------------
Dave (Phil.4:13)
I Can Do All Things Through Him Who Strengthens Me

There! In his gentlemanly way, Bob just reinforced my point: 6 different reasons for the clip placement. How many other makers, fine technicians to be sure, even think about one reason for clip placement, let alone all the other design features?

Hey Bob, I'll be at NYC too; if I bring my copy of your book, will you sign it? Thanks for all.

Lifter: no problem at all, believe me I took no offense whatever from your post and have no problem with another maker working on the knife. After all, it is your knife, not mine and you know best what your needs and preferences are. I look forward to see you and the knife in NY, who knows, I might just steal the clip design if I like it! I'm not proud!.
I'm also glad to hear that you use your knife. That's what I build them for!
Warm regards, Bob

Back