Why the interest in knives?

I find my love of knives mirrored in many of the above posts. I might offer another suggestion or two.

We have little to tell us what our distant ancestors felt for their blades, but we do know that edged tools and weapons were possibly the first man-modified instruments. It seems likely to me that those first purposefully edged creations must have inspired both awe and pride of ownership in the user.

My archaeologist neighbor tells me the measure of the difference between the capabilities of Cro-Magnon man and Neanderthal man, whom Cro-Magnon displaced, is typically demonstrated by citing how much linear edge each could produce from a pound of obsidian. Neanderthal got about 12 inches and Cro-Magnon about 12 feet--an order of magnitude. These were entire sub-species of humans whom anthropologists have come to define by their blade-making abilities. The metals ages also have been used to categorize whole chronological segments of human history, largely by improvements in blade materials.

Throughout recorded history, the centers of the bladesmiths' arts have commanded a reverence and respect unrivalled by any similar endeavor. What other issue from the hand of man can claim to have given rise to the reputations of entire cities--Damascus, Toledo, Solingen, Sheffield, Seki? Blades--alone.

The blade itself--any blade--is a metaphor awaiting an allusion. Edges are where mystery begins; where supposition often ends; where trials meet their proof; where imagination meets reality. The edge of our own dichotomy lies within us, just as an edge defines our outermost reach. From the defense of innocents to the conquests of empires; from the blades on the belts of armies defending the existence of civilizations to the blades of lone men surviving in lands beyond the pale of civilization--the blade has been there whenever we have dared and prevailed. Elegantly. Beautifully. Simply. Utterly.

And here we stand, surviving all, daring all, confidently flying free into the unknown of a new millennium, wondering, "Why do we love knives?"

My question: "What poor, shallow soul could possibly not?"

Because Massachusetts gun laws are very strict, and swords attract too much attention from the police
wink.gif

I think a lot of people have hit on a lot of reasons for the attraction to knives. For me they are "functional art", not in the sense of "art knives", but in the sense that one can come to appreciate the subtle skills involved in making good as compared to crummy knives, and their usefulness calls to us from hundreds of thousands of years of history. They aren't art for art's sake, and at the same time they are such simple things as compared to other objects that can also be appreciated both for art and functionality like more complex machines. Put another way, they appeal to us because they are simple, yet so necessary when human history and even contemporary culture is viewed in broad swaths.

For me, there are many reasons. It began with my grandfather, whom I've always admired. As a boy I always recall being fascinated with his little pocket knife that he used primarily to clean the bowl of his pipe. Memories of him always having a pocket knife led me to do the same. I recall him once saying "men carry pocket knives". I eventually was given a huge SAK from him that I still treasure today.

From that, I got used to carrying a pocket knife, and having it handy for all the day-to-day uses. After getting tired of non-locking blades (and a couple of nasty cuts from blades closing on my fingers), I moved on to locking blades.

As with everything else in my life, as I've aged and gained more disposable income, I've moved on to appreciating higher quality. I now "collect" various knives; I really only need one good folder, but I just enjoy the craftmanship of these (mostly Spyderco!) knives.

And every time I'm around others and the need for a knife comes up, I think my Grandfather would be proud that I'm prepared (even if it's only to open the plastic on a CD).

------------------

--Frank C.

Back