Why would I get an Apogee?

Here's why:
View

View

View

View

My new lefty medium Apogee DPC (deep pocket carry). It's an unofficial name that I came up with. Rounded, bead-blasted, and anodized titanium handle. Deep pocket carry clip. Hooooooweeeeeee! Outstanding craftsmanship. Darrel's always very gracious to deal with. My custom Apogee came out even better than I had hoped. The handle doesn't feel like titanium, more like kraton without the porous surface.

Thanks very much, Darrel!!!

-Greg

[This message has been edited by grnamin (edited 05-12-2000).]

darrel, i don't recall seeing this clip before.

is this what you came up with for the EDC line or are you still working on that?

------------------
--steve

When Cj was in last week we traded some clips. I just gave them a try.. Greg likes his.

I have not selected all 10 ideas yet . I am working on them..
I like fold over clips. The Impulse has a fold over.. Looking at the clip in the pictures It goes well with the knife. IMHO..

------------------
Web Site At www.infinet.com/~browzer/bldesmth.html
New Web at www.darrelralph.com

Excellent! Finest example yet I have seen of this great knife. Well done grnamin! Just makes the decision between a small wood inlay Sebbie and an Apogee that much more painful. Geez, thanks alot
rolleyes.gif
!

------------------
It's only a mistake if you fail to learn from it!

I have more Darrel, I will bring them to the blade show. Excellent knife by a great custom maker!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by CJ (edited 05-05-2000).]

Blademan,
I was a Sebenza fan for the longest time until Darrel's Apogee caught my eye. Go for the Apogee! I have two words: custom folder. Darrel executes that in the best way.

-Greg

CJ,
Thanks very much for the clip contribution. It's great on the Apogee! BTW, excellent auto folder you made there. And you're not doing that professionally yet?!

-Greg

Very nice looking Apogee Greg! Fantastic work as usual Darrel!
wink.gif

I really love that pocket clip ... classy!

smile.gif

grnamin, Thanks for the compliments! Darrel was gratious enough to invite me over to learn. He took my sketch and did alot of modifing to make it an auto. I couldn't have done it without his knowledge! I learned a bunch at this visit, pinning the knife for strength, heat treating basics, working a spring, coloring Ti, Satin blade finishing ,finishing pearl , rocker locks, gold onlays etc. Also made a few new jigs and learned other ways to do the same things. All knifemakers have there own way and seeing it in person does me wonders. We will see down the road what my auto's will look like. I am anal retentive so I am sure they will be first class!
wink.gif

Just noticed something with that clip shown on Greg's Apogee here: L@@KS like that third screw holding the clip on may catch the lip of your pants pocket when withdrawing the knife out of the pocket because it is raised! Has that happened yet Greg? Pocket clip does L@@K real neat though, but that bothers me some after thinking about it!

Mark

P.S. L@@KS like it may catch on the pocket lip when putting it in the pocket too! Am I wrong?
confused.gif

[This message has been edited by Mark W Douglas (edited 05-16-2000).]

Oh my gawd!!! I can't even see comparing that to a Sebanza (oops, I mean Sebenza).

Must..... resist.....
eek.gif

Now running for the hills, after dropping a Sebenza grenade.....
tongue.gif

------------------
iktomi

Mark,
There's actually no third screw holding the clip down. That's the pivot bearing screw you see there. The inner part of the clip has a semi-circular cutout so as not to overlap that screw. It doesn't catch the pocket flap at all. If anything, it's the thumb stud on that side that slightly catches the pocket. It seems to serve as an additional retention stud in the process. Rockspyder, you ought to get one and join the club.
smile.gif

-Greg

[This message has been edited by grnamin (edited 05-16-2000).]

Course too if those screws on that pocket clip do grab at the pocket material, maybe using smooth tapered flathead type torx screws would illimate the catching. The screw heads would be flush, not raised then!
That's only if the present screws do give that type of problem though!

Just a thought / idea
smile.gif

Mark

-----------

"There is no other feeling than an Apogee feeling!"

Ohhh, I see! Wow Greg -- we were posting the same time I see, otherwise I wouldn't have posted this solution to the screws then!
biggrin.gif
Quick to the draw we are!
wink.gif

I'll try to take a picture of the clip in relation to the handle to show how much clearance there is and post it here later.

-Greg

Back