Wild Boar Hunt

11/4/2011 Abbeville GA 325 lbs Took him with a Ken Hall custom knife. Hog 6.jpgHog 1.jpg

Way to go KBamhi! I have been toying with the idea of going hog hunting, but with a rifle. I see dogs in the background did they help? Here in Texas the hogs are now starting to move into the Dallas Ft Worth area.

I couldn't have done it without the dogs. They not only found the hog, but held him till I got there.

Very cool! that is a big one. We took some in Texas with knives last year. What kind of dogs were you using?

I think the 3 chase dogs were curs and the 2 catch dogs were pit.

Exactly what we were using, Cur's make great Bay dogs. We had the toughest Pit (Zeus) I have ever seen as a catch dog. I had as much fun watching the dogs work as taking the hog.

Did you take the meat home and have you tried it yet?

The meat on a boar hog that big isn't edible. I took the bottom jaw home and boiled out the tusks. I am going to wear one on a leather thong when camping and put the other in a shaddow box with the knife and hang it on the wall.

The meat on a boar hog that big isn't edible. I took the bottom jaw home and boiled out the tusks. I am going to wear one on a leather thong when camping and put the other in a shaddow box with the knife and hang it on the wall.

Kinky! :eek:

I have heard of people eating meat on a hog that large, mine was 200 lbs. and was OK we are still getting through the meat.

A sow, or a boar ? Large boar hog meat isn't gamey, it's hideous. Smells like a cat pissing on a hot skillet when it's cooking.

Nice piggy!!

They make good sausage. Bleed out the meat good in ice coolers with a little vinegar and salt in the water, draining it often. Cut it with some venison and domestic pig fat and stuff away. My buddy makes lots of sausage, he ground this one and a whole doe and made some dang fine sausage out of it. :thumbup:

photo-1.png

fa5e736b.jpg

This one wasn't nearly as big. Got him on a camping trip over the summer.

IMG_0808.jpg

We had him in the ground cooking within an hour of getting him. Wrapped in tin foil and bannana leaves and cooked him till the next day. It was so tender we ended up with nothing but pulled pork. It was deeeeeelicous.

Rubbing him down:

IMG_0809.jpg

Last edited:
Back