Wild boar hunting with a knife . .any info?

I have heard of it, and I am interested!

Anyone have any info on:

Is there such a thing?

Where can I do it?

How much will it cost?

And largest blades that I own (besides collectibles) are the esee 6 (clip point) and a ka-bar. Would either blade be sufficient? If not, what kind?

Also, what exactly does it entail? I read about knife hunting hogs with dogs and or a .22 caliber pistol or rifle. . .

Also, if anyone has done it, any other recommendations you may offer?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Hmmm, the Cold Steel catalog has some pix and short descriptions of people using their boar spear as intended. http://coldsteelforums.com/Boar-Hunting-with-Cold-Steel-Spear-m121959.aspx has a link to a guy actually doing it. As far as with a knife -- you may be getting into the realm of not-gonna-happen-due-to-insurance-liability for any guide. I dunno. But I'll be interested in what you find out, since I was thinking of the spear hunting thing.

There are people who do it regularly .You need about 6 well trained dogs that will find and hold the boar.Then you go in and stab it. From those who know the best knife has a 8-12" blade with a strong point and substantial guard.There are guides that provide dogs for this .

You need a good well trained pack of dogs, someone who knows what they're doing. The right area where it's legal to do such a hunt and I wouldn't go with a blade shorter than 8.5". A knife you wouldn't mind getting dirty either lol.
If you get a chance to go it's a lot of fun, here in HI the landscape is thick and beautiful. Some hard trekking but when the dogs hit, it's all worth it and a real great time (even if you don't catch something)
Good luck!

I guy i know does that sort of thing, mostly in Germany and France.
His weapons of choice are sharpened bayonets, so i gave him one of these, a SIG bayonet, which he has been using exclusively since.

swiss_sig.jpg

some of these are done in texas even with one female doing the sticking this year. the hunters in comanche area use dogs with kevlar vests but dog injuries till occur. another close encounter is when the guide use a 22 short to stun the boar with a specially placed shot to the head---this allows the sticker to make the killing stab before the boar recovers. the hog that was pictured in jill's thread was fairly small. one was taken near shackleford tex. this last year that went 660 lbs. i seriously doubt any 2 dogs alive could have stablized that monster. recent photos including mine in the hunting section show a boar with very small tusks. we saw one 3 weeks ago about the size of the aussie hog with tusks about 3 in. long. this is certainly a coming sport but i'd strongly advise that stickers wear chaps or real tuff cordura leggings since it only takes one mistake as you are in close to have your femoral artery perforated . you will bleed out before reaching medical assistance.another point the aussie hog was taken in open country --the areas we frequent mean crawling to sometimes pass thru briar s & bodark thorns. these thickets certainly make hogs more difficult to stabilize.
dennis

Last edited:
were was a thread about this in ESEE forum , but it was locked due to negativity from some animal loving people .

I think there is a knife called the kabar baconator or something like that that is made for boar hunting

Its common here in Australia but I dont do it, I use a rifle...I think it spoils the meat a little with the stress you put them under and its a little cruel if you dont get them first time in the right spot. Not to mention its dangerous, the boar is heavier then you are usually and has its own set of blades.

Usually done in wooded areas (the boars generally dont come out in the open)...stick to a rifle.

We caught some hogs with dogs , usually there are a couple of bay dogs that chase the hog and bring it to bay then you send in the catch dog. I think its better to have several dogs of each type, its safer for the dog. Its best to carry a knife and handgun when hunting hogs with dogs as you never know how things are going to turn out. Have fun and take some pictures.

I have friends in Georga that are into it.

Good dogs are the key, and of course a great guide.

Knives? ...I'd say 7" to 8" minimum.

Svord Pig Sticker.

BlackJack HALO Attack.

Big Mike

There was a Tred Barta episode (probably on Youtube somewhere) where he did that once. It doesn't look much like hunting to me - the dogs do all the work and you basically stab the pig once the dogs have it immobilized. I'd rather hunt them with my bow but to each his own.

---

Beckerhead #42

Here's a wicked video of a guy running around alone, at night, barefooted in a rice-field nonetheless, and hunting feral pigs with a Cold Steel spear. No guns, rifles or dogs, yet he still manages to kill 3 pigs.

Makes me want to grab my knife, lash it to a stick and kill me some boar!

[youtube]yJGd7G2wYuU[/youtube]

Yep, thats the KaBar Bacon Maker youre talking about.

kb5601.jpg

Do not try this pos blade as I got to T&E it.

Its not worth a dollar in my not so humble opinion.

There are SO many other blades that I could understand buying.

I was appalled at the balance,grip,handle material = that I had to warn others of this pos.

Do not try this pos blade as I got to T&E it.

Its not worth a dollar in my not so humble opinion.

There are SO many other blades that I could understand buying.

I was appalled at the balance,grip,handle material = that I had to warn others of this pos.

I've never had an issue with KaBar or Becker...got links to a full review with better descriptions of why its a bad knife.

I've yet to do it -- but I've heard that guides prefer that you use something over eight inches long, preferably something double edged, and straight-profiled with a good piercing tip. I've also got one of those Swiss bayonets -- it always seemed like an archetypal pig-sticker; apparently it works pretty well.

I'd guess that the blade-length requirement has something to do with pig anatomy, and where you're trying to stick the thing. I don't know the specific reasons why some guides insist on the double edge, but I would like to hear more. Does it result in a much better wound? Does it make an inexperienced hunter's stab less error prone?

Incidentally -- I've seen videos of people killing pigs with short-bladed Japanese style swords. It was either a wakizashi or a chisa-katana...

It seemed to work pretty well.

Historically, were the 19th century European hunting swords used to take animals that a pack of dogs were baying? Or, were they just used to finish up wounded animals?

I've got a Baconmaker and I think it's a fine knife, just like everything else I've had from Kabar. I haven't used it on a boar but it feels fine in the hand and balances as well as any other knife of similar size.

I've got a Potbelly too, and it is BY FAR my favorite outdoors blade under 8".

If you go to Dan Koster's personal forum in the knifemaker's section I think he has some threads about boar hunting with a knife. He's made a few knives he uses and there may be some links in the threads with more information too.

Back