Wild pigs

Good points. When I used the term "too heavy" I meant to refer to the power of the cartridge. Clearly a rifle substantial enough to make 375 comfortable to shoot is going to weigh more than a lightweight mountain rifle. So if carry weight is a significant concern, you may not be happy with that CZ---even though it is a good rifle and great cartridge.

DancesWithKnives

You should know that us Americans like to go big as far as caliber. You can take a look at gun forums that make people think 300 Winchester Magnum is the minimum caliber needed for 60lb deer in the event you need to take the deer at 800 meters.

5.56 will be sufficient to hunt hog with the right placement, but perhaps the OP is searching for a reason to get a new gun. and a Model 70 in 30-06 is a great choice, especially now that they went back to the pre-64 action.

wow. you Americans and your boom sticks. lolz.

most pig shooting i've done to date was with a .222. i decided it was too easy, so i've shifted to a 70lb compound bow. i did a little pig hunting with a .303 British. plenty of power, but too loud.

imho: the main problem with the big calibres is you scare everything for a thousand yards everytime you let rip.

a good shot with a smaller calibre will drop a pig. a bad shot from a big calibre is still a bad shot.

To satisfy our American lust for big boomers without scaring the game, how about an AI 338 Lapua with a factory suppressor?;). It would be about as long and heavy as the guns on the USS Missouri---and cost about as much as a good used car---but you'd get a big whoomp instead of an ear-splitting crack.:)

Just kidding, of course.:D However, I shot my largest boar about an hour after missing a long moving shot on a smaller meat pig. The two other hunters assumed my shot meant the late afternoon hunt for the day was over and they went back to camp. So at least occasionally you get a second chance, even with an artillery piece.

DancesWithKnives

Hogs are not hard to kill, they're just tough to penetrate. Any centerfire caliber will do, just use heavy for caliber, premium constructed bullets for penetration on their tough hide.

To satisfy our American lust for big boomers without scaring the game, how about an AI 338 Lapua with a factory suppressor?;).

i'm an Australian. so for a start, we can't legally own a .338 Lapua.

nor can we legally own any kind of supressor.

the .338 i don't really care about so much, but i know plenty of professional roo shooters that would LOVE a suppressor on their .223.

However, I shot my largest boar about an hour after missing a long moving shot on a smaller meat pig. The two other hunters assumed my shot meant the late afternoon hunt for the day was over and they went back to camp. So at least occasionally you get a second chance, even with an artillery piece.

DancesWithKnives

i've let rip into a mob of pigs and managed to bag six of 'em with a bolt action.
granted, the first one i shot was the big ugly sow, then i mopped up the suckers following her.

but if you really want to get every pig in a mob, best tool for the job is a handful of well trained woofers and a reel of paracord. you can't sell pigs for meat if you stick 'em. so doggers catch 'em live in the afternoon/early evening, hog-tie 'em up in the field and return later with a game meat truck, put a round behind their ear, field dress as per usual and take 'em to the boxes.

wild pig meat exports for a small fortune. the Germans, Austrians and northern Italians go nutso bonkers for wild pig sausages.

I'll be damned! That sounds like a very entertaining meat business. Thanks for the info!:thumbup:

I second the premium bullet recommendation in the post preceding Sambo's. I can't recall whether I already mentioned it, but I had a Remington Cor-Lokt bullet disintegrate in a big hog. Trophy Bonded Bearclaws won't do that and they shoot well out of my rifle.

DancesWithKnives

heres some pigs ive shot.my caliber of choice is a 6.5-06.
CIMG2495.jpg

IMG_5550-Copy.jpg

case005640x480.jpg

I love the ballistics of the 6.5x'06 and once looked at a custom rifle in that cartridge. It is especially attractive if you might want to do some longer range work. Seems like there are more 6.5x284 around but I have a couple '06 service rifles so the 6.5x'06 would be more appealing to me.

Nice photos! Thanks.

DancesWithKnives

The custom rifle at which I was looking was a pre-'64 Model 70 (son of Mauser) by Biesen. I ended up with a Gary Fisher Superfly 100 mountain bike instead. Not nearly as effective against hogs but just as much fun!

DancesWithKnives

Back